Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pros & Cons of 16 vs 14.5 barrel M4?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Pros & Cons of 16 vs 14.5 barrel M4?

I searched and got everything but the answer to this question.

On an M4 "Carbine" do you gain much in handling ability in a 14.5 barrel over 16?

Do you lose much in velocity?

Any other pros/cons to either?

God Bless

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    In a non NFA weapon you really gain nothing since you need a flash hider that makes up the extra lenth. At best you are Gaining (losing?) an inch or so.

Feedback Score
    Even though you're only talking about ~1.5" of overall length, I've found it makes a very noticeable difference in handling when handling the rifles in vehicles and other enclosed spaces. If it's just a range toy, then it would likely have very little benefit..unless your range allows bayonet charges. (Can't mount a standard bayo on a 16" barrel.)

The velocity loss is minimal and your effective range with most types of ammo will be shortened, but the difference small enough to be negligible for my needs...and probably for the vast majority of shooters, as well.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I personally prefer a 14.5 over a 16 if both are using a CAR gas system. I can tell a difference in recoil impulse between the two, and prefer the way the 14.5 feels- however, I have about 50,000 more rounds through 14.5" barrels than 16" barrels and I may just be more familiar/comfortable with that feeling. I can also tell a difference in handling. People keep popping up pointing out that there is a 1.6" muzzle device stuck to the 14.5 barrel (if you are trying to avoid NFA hassle), which brings it up past 16"; well I have news, most 16" barrels have 1.5" (+/-) muzzle devices too, which bring them up to about 17.5". While you might not be saving much barrel length, you are saving some, and you are reducing weight at the muzzle end.

Having a permanently attached FH (once again, if running a 14.5 and circumventing NFA) can be a limiting factor as well. You lose the ability to readily change the barrel, FSB, some handguards, and (obviously) the muzzle device. Now, I really don't care about that due to my reason for having a 14.5 gun at all, but I can appreciate the issues for those that do.

You do gain some muzzle velocity by going with a 16" barrel, but not as much as if you go with a 16" mid-length. A 16" CAR gas system is a little more violent in extraction than a 14.5" CAR, but the mid-length is better than either in that regard.

One other thing to consider is that buying a 16" upper instead of a 14.5" non-pinned/welded puts you safely outside the possibility of some knuckle-head making legal trouble for you. I had this happen to me when I was trying to get someone to pin/weld my 14.5" upper. While I didn't do anything wrong, it could have become an issue if the dissenting opinion was down 7 more IQ points.

Personally I have no good reason to own a 16" CAR, not when the 16" middie is so good. Were it not for the mid-length gas system, I would have no personal interest in 16" guns at all. As far as applicable performance goes, there isn't anything a 16" CAR gun can do that a 14.5" CAR gun can't, and except for a bit more weight, nothing that a 16" middie can't do better. If it comes down to splitting hairs about muzzle velocity you might as well just step up to a 17"-18" barrel and decisively end the argument.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies. Failure2Stop you answered all my questions very well. Thanks for the effort!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Failure2Stop covered all the bases so I'll just say having owned both I prefer the 14.5" over the 16" and I do notice a difference in handling, with the edge going to the short one. So do other 16" owners that have tried my 14.5".

Yes, it is only 1.5" but it I can tell a difference, just like I can tell a difference between a 20" and 18.5" shotgun, and prefer the 18.5".

And I agree with F2S that the only 16" I would consider in the future would be a middie.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'll add that the mid length is kinda neat. The recoils impulse that others have wrote about is worth noting again. When I bought my first middie, it was a used upper and I didn't know what it was. After playing with it, training with it, and working on it I decided was GTG. I currently have 3 16" middies and a recently completed 14.5 middie. I wouldn't not buy a carbine system but if I have my choice I'll buy the middie everytime.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks alot guys

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I personally prefer a 14.5 over a 16 if both are using a CAR gas system. I can tell a difference in recoil impulse between the two, and prefer the way the 14.5 feels- however, I have about 50,000 more rounds through 14.5" barrels than 16" barrels and I may just be more familiar/comfortable with that feeling. I can also tell a difference in handling. People keep popping up pointing out that there is a 1.6" muzzle device stuck to the 14.5 barrel (if you are trying to avoid NFA hassle), which brings it up past 16"; well I have news, most 16" barrels have 1.5" (+/-) muzzle devices too, which bring them up to about 17.5". While you might not be saving much barrel length, you are saving some, and you are reducing weight at the muzzle end.

Having a permanently attached FH (once again, if running a 14.5 and circumventing NFA) can be a limiting factor as well. You lose the ability to readily change the barrel, FSB, some handguards, and (obviously) the muzzle device. Now, I really don't care about that due to my reason for having a 14.5 gun at all, but I can appreciate the issues for those that do.

You do gain some muzzle velocity by going with a 16" barrel, but not as much as if you go with a 16" mid-length. A 16" CAR gas system is a little more violent in extraction than a 14.5" CAR, but the mid-length is better than either in that regard.

One other thing to consider is that buying a 16" upper instead of a 14.5" non-pinned/welded puts you safely outside the possibility of some knuckle-head making legal trouble for you. I had this happen to me when I was trying to get someone to pin/weld my 14.5" upper. While I didn't do anything wrong, it could have become an issue if the dissenting opinion was down 7 more IQ points.

Personally I have no good reason to own a 16" CAR, not when the 16" middie is so good. Were it not for the mid-length gas system, I would have no personal interest in 16" guns at all. As far as applicable performance goes, there isn't anything a 16" CAR gun can do that a 14.5" CAR gun can't, and except for a bit more weight, nothing that a 16" middie can't do better. If it comes down to splitting hairs about muzzle velocity you might as well just step up to a 17"-18" barrel and decisively end the argument.
    yeah you rule!
    Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Feedback Score

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast