Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Pants: Woolrich and Eotac Comparison

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tactical Pants: Woolrich and Eotac Comparison

I’ve worn the Woolrich Tactical Elite pants for everyday wear since they came out. When the 25% off promo was announced for the Eotacs, I figured it was a good time to try them. Prior to ordering I looked for detailed comparisons of the two but found none. There was lots of marketing, “these pants are great”, and some descriptions of fit, but little else.

I ordered online and received prompt confirmations, shipping notifications, and billing. I ordered several pair of the standard khaki tactical pants and brown discreets. At a glance, all are virtually indistinguishable from the Woolrich line. Eotac khaki is slightly darker than the Woolrich. I didn’t like the brown color as much as I thought, for no particular reason other than preference. Interestingly, it did have a hint of green to it, especially in certain light. At first I thought it was just me but others noticed it too. The brown ones are going back. I’d like to see a shade of brown that’s about half the difference between the khaki and brown, offered in both the tactical line and discreet.

The color difference isn’t as apparent in the photo as in person.

More difference was apparent when worn. Many have called the fit of the Eotacs “improved.” I’ll characterize it as different and leave the value judgement to others as it will depend on body type. The elastic in the waist stretches easily and is more generous than the Woolrich. The rise is seemingly lower. The thighs are tighter, and fit from the calves to the leg openings is otherwise unremarkable. The legs were a smidgen shorter than the Woolrich. I wear a size 36x36. It seemed to me that the Eotac is a generous 36 waist, with the leg fit and feel of a size 34-35. Buyers of odd body types will want to try these on before ordering. I thought about ordering a size larger, but the waist would be too large. (Looking back at Fernando’s comments, I wonder if the pants I received aren’t the earlier fit rather than the revised.)

[b]Additional info from Eotac: The revised fit incorporating additional space in the thighs is not available yet, but are in production and will be available shortly. [b]

The front and back pocket linings in the Eotacs are ripstop material, which is welcome. I often wear holes in the lighter material of others. The Eotac pocket is a bit more generous in size as well, which is handy. (The seam in the pocket is my mod to partition the pocket to stabilize widgets.)

The front of the Eotacs is flat, which I prefer. The Woolrich is pleated.

The belt loops at the outseam/side and behind the hip are a full 1” width on the Eotacs. The Woolrich are 1/2”. When I tried several holsters, I found some kydex models that had a loop cutout that was a bit narrow for them. I will have my tailor replace those loops with 1/2".

The cargo pockets on the legs are different. The Eotac pockets are flat across their width and expand from side bellows at the outseam (think: accordion). The Woolrich pockets are stitched around the outside of the pocket and expand from a center bellow slot in the middle. The Eotacs have a neater appearance both loaded and unloaded.

J-Frames inserted:

The inseam on the legs of the Eotacs are double needle stitched, the Woolrich are single needle stitched. The double needle

The crotch of the Eotacs have a diamond gusset, offered to increase mobility and reduce blow-outs. Having worn the Woolrich in vigorous training events and outdoor activities, I’ve not had that problem, but the gusset is no liability.

The smaller rear (wallet) pocket on the Eotac differs from the Woolrich for it’s loading. The Woolrich incorporate a flap that encloses the pocket and secures with Velcro. The Eotac pocket is a drop in, with the top seam laying against the pant and securing with Velcro. There’s a pull-tab to open the pocket. I like the Woolrich pocket better for the added security of that top flap. Having dodged pick-pockets in crowded markets, the Eotac feels too easy. More practically, the top flap adds some protection from adverse environmentals, too.

Construction of the Eotacs otherwise differs little from the Woolrich. Close examination of the stitching, bartacking, material, and related construction details reveals little to no difference, much less meaningful difference.

One issue with the Eotacs came to light during first wear. I carry gear in my pockets, and the tighter fit in the legs created extra profiling/printing of the cargo within. In the tactical pant, the profile is obscured by the front utility pocket a bit so the issue is manageable. In the discreets there is no distraction. When I placed different pieces of gear in the side pockets of the discreets, I found that the sway of the pants through ranges of motion and their lie in different positions created some interaction between pockets. How much of a problem it was depended on the gear. In short, the side pockets are best with small, lightweight, preferably flat items like pocket knives, cell phones, etc. The pocket will indeed hold a gun, 30rd AR magazines, and the like but that doesn’t mean you should put them in there. With regard to the same pocket, I would prefer that the discreet pocket opened from the bottom up, rather than top down.

Pricing also differs between the two, with the Woolrich 4429 MSRP at $49.95 and the same Eotac pant at $59.99 retail. I’m not sure there’s $10 difference between the pants. I do believe that the discounted price of $44.99 for the Eotacs would be a fair and appropriate street price.

Additional info from Eotac: MAP on the tactical pant is $49.99, and is available from some dealers. With that being MAP, additional savings may be possible. That’s better.

I didn’t set out to compare every khaki tactical pant to each other, only the two brands that are alike in overall quality, and only the most popular style in my closet. Users of the 5.11s and Propper pants will find additional differences in construction, material, build-quality, and quality control that favor the Eotac.

Sum: The Eotacs are GTG. We’ll see how the hold up in the long run, but I expect no surprises. The pockets should wear little. The balance of the pant should wear at least as well as the Woolrich.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great post!

Love the pocket mod. I'll have to try something similar.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    Good info. I'll second the idea on the stitching to divide the pocket.

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great review.

I got some of the Woolrich Elite Discreet Carry Shirts and they are ok, but tend to wrinkle a bit more than I like. The Eotac version claims to have an anti wrinkle weave.

There seems to be a lot of new pant designs coming from other companies as well.

I am looking forward to the new Vertx tactical pants due out in July. The use of 2% spandex in the cloth may be a worthy advancement. Military Moron has a review up http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/g...s.4.html#vertx
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Detailed reviews that got me to think about trying it out if ever I find a dealer locally.

Thanks for the straightforward rundown!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the detailed post.

Follow up question: Did you experience any shrinkage after laundering either pant?

I don't have an Eotac yet, but have some Woolrich Elite discreet pants, and found that after laundering & drying them they shrunk a bit (inseam decreased by about an inch). This was OK for me since they were a little too big for me, but definitely important to know for proper sizing!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by esskay View Post
    Follow up question: Did you experience any shrinkage after laundering either pant?
    I hang mine to dry, sorry.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    Great post! Love the pocket mod. I'll have to try something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    Good info. I'll second the idea on the stitching to divide the pocket.
    Had a request for more info on the mod via PM.

It's sized to allow carry of a Glock subcompact in a UM pocket holster. J frames take up slightly less space. The stitch starts ~4.25" from center, and is ~3.25" long. Adjust as needed for other guns.

I have another variation of it that incorporates a strip of material the wraps around the bottom and rises the length of the stitch on either side. Another piece runs perpendicular to the centerline to reinforce the bottom of the pocket.

My sewing goddess is pretty handy and we have some other stuff in the works. Will post as those mods come out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    I got some of the Woolrich Elite Discreet Carry Shirts and they are ok, but tend to wrinkle a bit more than I like. The Eotac version claims to have an anti wrinkle weave.
    I haven't gotten into the shirts, but I like what I've seen of them. I may order some of the Eotacs as my allowance trickles in.

There seems to be a lot of new pant designs coming from other companies as well.
    I would like to see a pant that has both the cargo and lower leg pockets, but deletes the front utility pocket on each leg.

I'd also like to see a discreet pant that deletes the rear slash pockets, and concealed side zip pocket, but incorporates a pouch within the waistband with a pull tab for access. It'd be dressier, while retaining fit, durability, and function.

I am looking forward to the new Vertx tactical pants due out in July. The use of 2% spandex in the cloth may be a worthy advancement. Military Moron has a review up http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/g...s.4.html#vertx
    Those look interesting. Fechheimer has done some interesting things in LE uniforms over the years. The best stuff has been the small custom runs that never saw mass production. Thanks for the link.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

great review. thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast