Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Discrete" rifle bag: Voodoo (field) hockey bag (56K killer !!!)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

"Discrete" rifle bag: Voodoo (field) hockey bag (56K killer !!!)

It all started a few weekends ago whilst attending an escrima seminar at one of our local clubs. Somewhere during registration for the seminar I see a guy showing up with an interesting bag.
    I immediately see its potential as a covert rifle bag. So I go up to the guy (who turned out to be one of the instructors, as I was to find out just moments later ) and ask him what kind of bag it is, where he got it and how much it costs.
    So he tells me that it’s a hockey bag and he got it from a hockey shop in Germany and it costed him somewhere around 65 Euro. He even vaguely remembered the shop’s website.
    So that evening, after the seminar I immediately started browsing the intarweb for that bag. Got lucky right at my first search (Google was my friend in this instance) and immediately ordered myself a bag. It costed me (incl S&H) 68 Euro and was delivered at my door the next Friday. Just in time to use it in last weekends DSR match.
    That’s the main purpose of this bag: getting my rifle and gear in a very low-profile way to the matches, since the majority of these matches are held way up north in Holland. So when people see me, I want to give them the impression that I’m just some guy who’s into field hockey.

Here’s some specs of the bag:
    Height: 97 cm (3’ 18”)
    Width: 25 cm (9.84”)
    Depth: approx 18 cm (7.09”) for the two “cargo pockets” and 3 cm (1.18”) for the “stick”pouch
    Material used: some waterproofed synthetic whatchamacallit. Definitely not cordura.
    The bottom part of stick pouch is reinforced with some thicker plastic material.
    The straps are padded as is the upper part and lower part of the carrying frame.
    The frame is stiffened by adding three small strips of metal.
    Finish of the bag is quite good, but of course it’s no way near one of those Model 1 covert rifle bags.
    Given the price etc it is most likely made in China (but I haven’t found the tag yet )

There are two main cargo pockets on the bag, a bottom one measuring 18 x 50 x 25 (7.09 x 19.69 x 9.84) and a top one measuring 15 x 49 x 25 (5.91 x 19.29 x 9.84).
    At each side of the top cargo pocket there’s two smaller side pouches about 17 cm (6.69”) deep, with a small mesh insert and a bungee strap.
    In the top cover there’s also a small pocket. And finally between the top and bottom cargo pockets, there’s a small pocket large enough to fit a holstered pistol.

My AR with 14.5” barrel and partially collapsed UBR fits snugly into the stick pouch with the Aimpoint T1, FUG and taclight attached. Adding the magnifier makes it a PITA to fit it in the pouch.
    Putting on the Leupold made it a major PITA just getting the rifle pushed down the pouch. When trying to take my rifle out, it had to take off the scope before I could take out the rifle.
    So for those looking for a bag from which they can quickly produce their rifle: don’t go this route, the pouch is just a tad too small.
    For me it serves my purposes: a covert bag for attending DSR matches across the border.
    The rest of my gear fits nicely into both cargo pouches and even gives me some room to put in an extra fleece vest, or wet weather gear + some spare mags, if needed my pistol for when it’s a two-gun event, an extra light, my scope, etc etc.
    Thanks to the padded straps and the small pack frame, for lack of a better description, the feel and weight of the loaded up bag is quite comfy. Of course will it not stand up to the rigors of an extended hike over rough terrain, but there’s no need for it. It only has to carry my rifle from my house into the car and from the car to the range and vice versa.

Apart from some test fitting and figuring out what the best way is to put my rifle in, I’ve only been able to use it once in real life, ergo take it to a match.

My Final verdict:
    PRO:
    It definitely is covert enough
    It comes at a fair price
    It does serve my purposes

CONS:
    It’ll fit my rifle, but after some minor fumbling
    Retrieving your rifle quickly is not possible, again does it require some fumbling
    Not all optics can be fitted to your rifle: i.e. the pouch is a tad too small
    The bag will probably not survive 10 years (but what can you expect, given it’s low cost)

And finally some pics:

Front view

Rear view with straps & frame

Rear: “stick” pouch

Pocket in topcover

Left side pocket

Bottom cargo compartment

Bunch-o-stuff packed into the bag
    Last edited by Charlie-2-6; 04-19-09 at 14:12. Reason: Title changed as it might confuse people wrt an existing product

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    would you say a 16" weapon with a completely collapsed moe would fit or no?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yep, should pose no problems lenghtwise that is. Adding optics like scopes etc could make it difficult to insert the rifle in the pouch, as I mentioned in my review.
    My SIG 550, having a overal lenght of 1m fits in the bag and leaves just the flashhider exposed when the stock isn't folded. With a folded stock, there's even room to spare.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Interesting, they do look like good camo.

http://www.mantishockey.com/xcart/home.php?cat=251

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Be sure to check out your local used sporting goods store for gear bags like that. Pawn shops too...and ratty old double sided guitar cases for $8 are quite stealthy too, ya know...
    Last edited by Vic303; 04-17-09 at 11:46.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    That's a great bag if you have a ton of gear. I just bought a Mizuno bat bag from Academy Sports to carry my 16" M4. There is a compartment below the main bag where the bats would go. I plan to put a thin piece of plywood in that compartment and line the inside of the bag with foam that will be attached to the board in some manner. Finally, I'll add some velcro straps to secure the carbine to the foam/board. There should still be quite a bit of room left for other range gear.

Here's a link to the bag. http://www.amazon.com/Mizuno-Vintage.../dp/B000EB68SS It's just wide enough to cover my M4 with Eotech and BFG mounted. Best $40 I've spent so far.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    i just went to sports authority and looked at a nike bag. i was kinda impressed. I might go back and get it. I'm thinking i need to down grade my gear though, as i'm running a full plate carrier atm. i need to start putting together a grab and go rig that's smaller and lighter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rugburn View Post
    ... I plan to put a thin piece of plywood in that compartment and line the inside of the bag with foam that will be attached to the board in some manner. ...
    I've got a few ideas about attaching that foam:
    easiest and less messy way is by using double coated tape (I work in the tape industry and sticking tape to foam is one of our specialties ), get one that's polyester based (won't tear that easily) + resistant to high temps, 'cause otherwise the glue will start "to bleed" when left too long out in the sun.
    Second option would be some sort of (solventless) glue, since you don't want to melt your foam.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rugburn View Post
    T I plan to put a thin piece of plywood in that compartment and line the inside of the bag with foam that will be attached to the board in some manner.
    look at kydex. it's strong and lighter than wood. plus it can be shaped when heated to extreme temps.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by calicojack View Post
    look at kydex. it's strong and lighter than wood. plus it can be shaped when heated to extreme temps.
    That's what I am looking at.

There is a Nike baseball practice bag I have my eye on at Academy. I was planning on using a large sheet of kydex, and basically make a "tub floor" with Kydex. Then use Gorilla Glue to put some foam in the bottom.

That should help with rattling, and protect the optic on the rifle.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast