Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Hornady TAP?

Feedback Score
    All of the loads listed below use some form of the Hornady 75 grain BTHP bullet.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Hey there, I thought I would ask what types of defensive ammo you guys (and gals) like in addition to Hornady TAP for the M4 platform. I have shot a variety of ammo over the years and have really come to like TAP, especially in the heavier loads(75 gr). However, in recent months with ammo being so expensive and hard to find, I have been branching out in the defensive ammo that I purchase in an attempt to curb costs and ensure that I can actually find what I am looking for. It seems like TAP is a favorite of many on this forum as well in .223 or at least that it is a popular choice. So, any thoughts on this? What are factory defensive rounds of choice in addition to Hornady TAP? Cheers, Jason
    TAP is good stuff, but there are others worthy of use too. It's hard to make a truly bad choice in the purpose-built defensive loads.

As a backup to your preference, look at the domestically produced midweight expanding rounds from virtually anyone. 60, 63, 65gr JSPs are pretty abundant.

Heck, an M193 spec load is suboptimal, but gets the job done as contingency ammo.

Food for thought: Folks (and agencies) are fond of choosing premium gucci defensive loads, but often fail to consider the comparative quirks in purchasing, function checking, sustaining, and training, with them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't squander your money on TAP; it's all marketing hype. M193 in the breadbasket kills a thug just as dead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Don't squander your money on TAP; it's all marketing hype. M193 in the breadbasket kills a thug just as dead.
    I'm a cynical bastid, but even I won't go that far. TAP is good stuff, and much more than marketing hype.

Whether it's sufficiently better than others, when all variables I mentioned are weighed, is what's open for discussion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    TAP is good stuff, but there are others worthy of use too. It's hard to make a truly bad choice in the purpose-built defensive loads.

As a backup to your preference, look at the domestically produced midweight expanding rounds from virtually anyone. 60, 63, 65gr JSPs are pretty abundant.

Food for thought: Folks (and agencies) are fond of choosing premium gucci defensive loads, but often fail to consider the comparative quirks in purchasing, function checking, sustaining, and training, with them.
    I think part of the issue I am seeing is that most manufacturers don't market their ammo as purpose built defensive loads. They look at hunting rounds or match target ammo but Hornady TAP is rare in the manner in which it is marketed. Now, any ammo that works well for taking down a mule deer is likely to perform well for defensive purposes but it does make finding the ammo via searches a bit harder.

As for the guggi ammo thing, I understand where you are coming from and certainly am not intending to shoot TAP all day long at the range. I have shot enough of it to know that my weapon cycles it effectively and that I am accurate with it and that is all. Other than that, I am just trying to stock up a bit but it is hard to do with ammo being so hard to find right now. That is why I am looking at other options in defensive rounds which are factory built.

I'll take a look at the privi that others mentioned and see if I can find some of that.

Just out of curiosity, what other companies build what you consider to be "purpose built defensive loads"?

Thanks for the responses everyone...
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    All of the loads listed below use some form of the Hornady 75 grain BTHP bullet.

Thank you, that was very helpful!
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i recently found a case [10 boxes] of win. ranger 55 gr. psp for 140$, so i bought it. i know this isn't the optimum load, but the miss. h.p. uses this load so i thought it must work o.k. i got some tap 5.56 last year while you still could, that is what is in my truck and house m-4's, although i wouldn't hesitate to use the 55 gr. ranger. it don't hurt a thing to have good, quality factory ammo lounging around.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Scientific testing performed by Dr. G.K. Roberts and others has proven the superior accuracy, superior ballistic neck, superior temporary cavity, superior fragmentation and superior barrier penetration of 75 grain TAP; so it most certainly is not "marketing hype."
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Hey there, I thought I would ask what types of defensive ammo you guys (and gals) like in addition to Hornady TAP for the M4 platform. I have shot a variety of ammo over the years and have really come to like TAP, especially in the heavier loads(75 gr). However, in recent months with ammo being so expensive and hard to find, I have been branching out in the defensive ammo that I purchase in an attempt to curb costs and ensure that I can actually find what I am looking for. It seems like TAP is a favorite of many on this forum as well in .223 or at least that it is a popular choice.

So, any thoughts on this? What are factory defensive rounds of choice in addition to Hornady TAP?

Cheers,

Jason

Federal LE223T3 aka 62 grn Tactical Bonded is my choice over all the loads.

Thankfully I am issued this round. It is both hard to find and expensive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast