Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trijicon Tripower review

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Trijicon Tripower review

Hello to all! I thought I would ad a quick review of the Trijicon Tripower sight for those considering a new optic.

I have the latest generation Tripower, and I really like it alot. THE CHEVRON RULES!!! I had the first generation Tripower as well, and the latest is a nice improvement over it. The new aluminum body is very solid. They removed the cylume stick back-up source, which I think was a good idea. The only issue I have with it is the low brightness of the tritium. It is almost invisible in complete darkness without NV, so in low light/complete darkness, you must use the battery to power the chevron. It was dimmed down a bit to be more compatible with NV, as the earlier generation Tripowers had a slightly brighter tritium. I feel the new Tripower is as good or better then the Aimpoint IF you have access to NVG. Without NV it is still excellent, but it would be nice if Trijicon made a version of the Tripower with an ultra bright tritium for use in low light/complete darkness without the use of NV. The extra cost of the Tripower will turn many shooters looking for a new optic toward the Aimpoint/Eotech option, but I feel the new design along with the chevron make the latest Tripower a great choice. It also works perfectly with all of the LaRue Aimpoint mount currently available which is also one less thing to worry about.

Feedback Score
    I’ve never looked through a Tripower, but the thing the I like about Trijicon is the crispness of their illuminated reticles compared to Aimpoints and EOTechs.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review. A couple of follow-up quetsions if you don't mind:

How do you compare the Tripower to an EoTech or Aimpoint during daylight hours?

What about low light (dawn/dusk)?

Considering I don't have NV gear, when you mention the shortcomings in complete darkness, is this a case where can you ID your target but you can't see the chevron or are both invisible? Would you be ina situation where you need a white light anyway in which case the tritium intensity is a non-issue?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart
    Thanks for the review. A couple of follow-up quetsions if you don't mind:

How do you compare the Tripower to an EoTech or Aimpoint during daylight hours?

What about low light (dawn/dusk)?

Considering I don't have NV gear, when you mention the shortcomings in complete darkness, is this a case where can you ID your target but you can't see the chevron or are both invisible? Would you be in a situation where you need a white light anyway in which case the tritium intensity is a non-issue?
    I have used both the Eotech & Aimpoint, and the Tripower is as good or better during bright sunlight without the use of batteries. The fiber optic donut works perfectly in every condition I have tried so far. Some situations, where you are in a shaded area, aiming toward a light background in bright sunlight, you will need to use the battery power to brighten the chevron.

In very low light situations you will be able to see your target the same as with the Eotech or Aimpoint, but the chevron will be barely visible due to the low tritium brightness, requiring you to use the battery.

Feedback Score
    Its nice to see that Trijicon (like LaRue, Magpul, and TangoDown) listened to end-user feedback when making the new revision changes. I would however, still contact them about the dim tritium. Most importantly, to see if yours is defective. Remind them that you owned the original version. How do you know that they really changed to a dimmer H3 element on purpose? Maybe all the new ones are as bright as the old ones, and you just got a bad apple. They'll offer to check it out for free, but who knows- Maybe the tech will read your problem and swap in a bright element for you at no charge! I've had all sorts of nice surprises happen when my units where shipped there for CS work.

If they did say there was a change, or they inspect it and you end up with the same, at least then give them your feedback and simply let them know you liked the brighter H3 better.

Thanks for the nice review Nick!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I spoke to a rep at Trijicon prior to the new sights release, and was told that the dimmer tritium was one of the new features on the Tripower to make it more NV friendly. I will contact them and give them my feed-back, and see if they can install a brighter tritium in my unit. Thanks for the suggestion Kisara.

Feedback Score
    Good review, Nick. Can we get a shot through the scope for perspective?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sorry for the delay! Here is a pic that I found a while ago. Not sure of who the original poster is It is much better of a pic than I could manage.

Here is another pic with a view through an Aimpoint 3X magnifier: (I definately need to get one)

Feedback Score
    First off, great review. I wish there were more feedback on the net about this optic.

Did you ever find out if you can get your tritium brightened?

I guess I don't see the point in having the tritium there if it is not visible (except via NVG's).

Let us know, as I really want to like this optic, but it seems to keep falling just short of greatness.

One other question... I've always liked the chevrons and triangles. They are nice and large (easy to pick up quickly), but you can use the tip for more precise shots. Do you find this any more/less accurate at distances than the Aimpoint or EOTech?

Thanks for the info...
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeglik
    First off, great review. I wish there were more feedback on the net about this optic.

Did you ever find out if you can get your tritium brightened?

I guess I don't see the point in having the tritium there if it is not visible (except via NVG's).

Let us know, as I really want to like this optic, but it seems to keep falling just short of greatness.

One other question... I've always liked the chevrons and triangles. They are nice and large (easy to pick up quickly), but you can use the tip for more precise shots. Do you find this any more/less accurate at distances than the Aimpoint or EOTech?

Thanks for the info...
    I am going to call Trijicon about the tritium when I get back in town from vacation here in beutiful Colorado. My Father lives near Buena Vista, CO. and has a awesome public shooting range located in the middle of the Rockies with a 500+yd. rifle range about a mile and a half down the road from his place. I Brought my MRP/Tripower and My 6.8 SPR build for fun. I have owned and used both the Aimpoint & the Eotech, and find the Tri's Chevron (using the tip as you described) to be far better with distance shots than either of them. I will update when I get back in town.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast