Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any reason NOT to get a Bushmaster superlight barrel?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Any reason NOT to get a Bushmaster superlight barrel?

Hey guys,

I am very interested in all these lightweight builds I am seeing. I was thinking about buying the Bushmaster superlight barrel assembly and putting it into a gun I am building. I have done some searches and not found anything either way. Anything wrong with these barrels? Does anyone else offer something better (that is actually available)?

GHB
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think they are great light weight barrels. They are 1:9 twist so you might run into some issues shooting heavier grain ammo but honestly I have a bunch of 1:7 twist and mostly shoot 55 or 62gr surplus so a 1:9 would be good enough for 99% of the shooting I do.

What do you plan to do with this build?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I was just thinking of putting together a range beater/truck gun. Plus I am a nerd so I am interested in seeing just how light I can make one. My current colt has a 1/9 and it has always been a champ. Mostly I shoot 55 grain privi or federal. It is also good with the 855 stuff.
    Last edited by The Dumb Gun Collector; 10-30-09 at 13:01.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I though I read that BCM is coming out with a super light with a 1/7 twist.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think it will be a great barrel for that purpose.

I thought I heard where BCM is going to run some lightweight barrels (might be internet rumor) so you might want to touch bases with Bravo Company first but I would happily use one of those Bushmaster barrels.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's the thread on BCM's lightweight uppers:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38202

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My current duty rifle wears a Bushmaster Superlight barrel. I have run it thru a good bit of training over the past 4+ months, and it has performed perfectly with everything that has been thrown at it. (CQB out to 300yds)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hey guys,

I am very interested in all these lightweight builds I am seeing. I was thinking about buying the Bushmaster superlight barrel assembly and putting it into a gun I am building. I have done some searches and not found anything either way. Anything wrong with these barrels? Does anyone else offer something better (that is actually available)?

GHB
    Bushy, at least at one time, did a run of 1 in 7 SLW...

I have owned a number of SLWs in the last 30 yrs or so and they all shoot good enough..to take out vermin of the skunk,coon,possum,coyote,fox class if need be.

I put one on a Mega upper with a La Rue gas block and a middie PRI light wt tube ....in FDE....for the wife and she loves hers.

Shoots a lot of milsurp and some lighter varmint loads through it.

It is legal to hunt, kill, and eat porcupines, armadillos and badgers in Texas.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've had one on an A1 upper for a lightweight utility carbine since they were first released. I have no complaints.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 10-30-09 at 21:56.

Feedback Score
    i would love to have a super light weight 20''

in 1:8 or 1:7
    i started this life with nothing.....kept most of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast