The miserable weather finally broke in Western Pennsylvania and the temperature got up to around 50 degrees today. Range trip!
I haven't shot in a long time, so I wanted to try to build a little "muscle memory" back in. It was incredibly windy so I figured I'd keep it close in, about 10m or so. I wanted to start with the mechanics of my drawstroke, nice and smooth. I guess the dry-fire that I did during the winter months paid off because my front sight focus and trigger control weren't too bad. My speed wasn't there, but I was focusing on technique and accuracy.
I chose to use a 15" X 15" bullseye stapled over the upper thoracic of a USPSA/IPSC cardboard target, since I'd read AAR's of Vickers classes that train this way.
My goal was to be smooth and accurate and to keep all of my shots in that black bullseye. I also wanted to practice some tactile stuff, just getting used to shooting with heavier gloves can be interesting. First I went through tactical reloads on my pistol, then speed reloads. I began to pick up the pace and performed some single head shots and failure drills.
I was feeling good with my progress so I decided to bring the carbine into play so I could practice some transitions. All in all, not bad. I'm sure I will get some chuckles from the Virginia crew since I still shoot Weaver...
One noteworthy item concerning my AK - the bright light and covered range line combined to wash out my IronDot! I'd shot in what I'd thought were these same conditions before, but even with the auto-override to the highest brightness I could barely see the dot. Oh well, off came the optic. Thank goodness for LaRue throw levers.
Here is a pic of my target with the bullseye removed. 175 rounds 9mm and 24 rounds 5.56mm, head shots taped.