Thread: surefire scout light problem?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

surefire scout light problem?

I just got back my surefire m600c today from surefire, it was supposed to have had the led head replaced but doesn't seem to have done anything. The light will flicker real fast every time the bolt on my ar drops forward. The light works and doesn't turn of it just flickers every time the bolt drops. Has anyone else had similar problems? For the recorder i have an m600A and it doesn't flicker at all. I'd appreciate the help.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The flickering is likely being caused by the batteries briefly losing contact and 'bouncing' against the head of the light as the carrier assembly slams forward. This is the nature of Surefire E-series LED heads, which don't have spring contact on the positive side of the batteries.

My E2DL had the same issue, except that it would spontaneously switch to low mode with every jerk (the head of the E2DL is a 2-mode version of the KX2C head on your M600C). Many times, it wouldn't take much force at all; simply placing the light on its tailcap on my desk would often make it switch to 'low' mode if it was on 'high'.

The only thing that could help the problem would be a stronger/ longer tailcap spring, which could help keep the batteries in contact with the LED head.

It's probably a moot point anyway, as I'm not sure why one would want a carbine's light clicked 'on' while doing weapon manipulations.

Either way, it's not a problem with the LED assembly itself, and nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by 750.356; 01-30-10 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 750.356 View Post
    The flickering is likely being caused by the batteries briefly losing contact and 'bouncing' against the head of the light as the carrier assembly slams forward. This is the nature of Surefire E-series LED heads, which don't have spring contact on the positive side of the batteries.

My E2DL had the same issue, except that it would spontaneously switch to low mode with every jerk (the head of the E2DL is a 2-mode version of the KX2C head on your M600C). Many times, it wouldn't take much force at all; simply placing the light on its tailcap on my desk would often make it switch to 'low' mode if it was on 'high'.

The only thing that could help the problem would be a stronger/ longer tailcap spring, which could help keep the batteries in contact with the LED head.

It's probably a moot point anyway, as I'm not sure why one would want a carbine's light clicked 'on' while doing weapon manipulations.

Either way, it's not a problem with the LED assembly itself, and nothing to worry about.
    Thanks for the reply, the batteries movement seems to make the most sense and im just glad its not the led head. Like you said its not an issue, just wanted to make sure the problem wouldn’t get worse

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I had a similar problem with my Scout light mounted on my AK. Sent it back and Surefire replaced the battery contacts. Haven't had any more issues with it since then.