Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ND at church tonight

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

ND at church tonight

So I'm standing in the sound booth at church after service tonight when a lady from my small group walks up and says, "Kevin - is there any thing we need to do if a gun went off in class?" I almost thought she was kidding, until I realized she was shaking ever so slightly. There are several police officers in my small group and most of the rest of the class took their CHL class together, so it's a possibility. I ask her if anyone is hurt - she says no, it just went straight into the floor. Then I tell her I'll contact security and let them know.

After the head of security catches up with me, I let him know what I know and he calls over the uniformed police officers. After a little pow-wow they decide the best route would be for me to go into the room and ask the guy who did it to come out and talk to them (rather than disturbing the whole class, since they decided to go on with their night). I walk in and ask the guy to come out in the hall. He's visited a couple of times, but I don't really know him - turns out he's a cop. The cops pull him into my office (since it was nearby) and examine him and the gun to make sure he's alright. Turns out he was shifting his Kel Tec P32 from where it was clipped onto his waist band and putting it in his holster. It apparently went off when he pulled it out, because there's a hole right in the middle of the ass of his pants... After a stern talking to from the older officers they let him go, deciding not to charge him with unlawful discharge.

Here's what was reinforced:

1. Not all cops are gun people - someone who was would have been a little more cautious I'd think.

2. Good support gear is a must - I've never had to completely change the way I was carrying a weapon while out in public... guess I was just lucky to figure out good gear before I got to far into this.

3. Keep your booger picker off the bang switch until sights are on target and the decision has been made to fire.

Really pretty basic stuff would have kept this from happening. In some ways I'm glad he was a cop so my church doesn't decide to post 30.06 signage and ban concealed carry.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    wow.. i'd be so deathly embarrassed i think i'd have to start looking for a new church. what kind of "class" was it? regular bible study?

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    Wow - I agree on the carry factor here. Dont carry in a position that can be comprimised by taking a jacket off, sitting down, bending over. This is a reason in certain situations I will go to an ankle holster.
    Glocks are functional tools and nothing else, hence they have no soul - Rob S.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What kind of holster did he have? Or did he have one of those POS "Clip-draw holsters" that attach to the frame? (leaving the trigger uncovered)

Feedback Score
    Turns out he was shifting his Kel Tec P32 from where it was clipped onto his waist band and putting it in his holster.
    Am I reading "clipped" like

Clipdraw?

I have been looking for a "good" case for pointing out how dumb that method of carry is. I realize I probably don't need to get on a soap box here, but I have been on the hunt for a "it actually happened" rather than "it could happen" story.

Glad no one was hurt.
    Last edited by Macx; 03-06-10 at 23:50.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I'm not calling BS, but have you ever fired a Kel Tec. The thing has a freaking 4000lbs trigger pull. You'd have to be a white jacket moron retard psych patient to pull the trigger accidentally. I'm not buying the shifting the pants/holster BS, and neither should you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    1. Not all cops are gun people
    This one caught me off guard the first time I went out to the local pd range. I have a couple of old hs football buddies who joined up. One is a range master and we get together and do some plinking and gun talk.

I was pretty amazed with a few leo who came over to look at my stash seemed to have no knowledge of firearms other than their personal sidearms. Some I'm told only really shoot to qualify. I saw two pistols that did not appear to have ever been wiped down.

Anyway, I guess being an enthusiest all my life it just seems odd to not take care of the tool & practice more (with free ammo) that may save your life. Pretty naive of me to assume all leo would be gun people.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Good story, and very good points on consistent, quality carry options. The clipdraw looks about a step removed from the Jamaican Holster.

Side note: you'll find fewer and fewer cops these days who you would call "gun people". This is due to a number of reasons- generational, personal/department costs, personal priorities, department priorities, and (my own term) institutional arrogance. There was a thread here on that very subject a while back.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've heard of hellfire and brimstone sermons, but this is nuts!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    I'm not calling BS, but have you ever fired a Kel Tec. The thing has a freaking 4000lbs trigger pull. You'd have to be a white jacket moron retard psych patient to pull the trigger accidentally. I'm not buying the shifting the pants/holster BS, and neither should you.
    In total agreement. Glad no one was injured but what a DF move to have his finger on the trigger.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast