Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FN 5.7?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

FN 5.7?

I just found this:

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7451

http://www.eliteammunition.net/catal...14/7791952.htm

Is this ammo the real deal or just another hype like the Extreme Shock ammo?
    Kinda makes me want to buy a FNH 5.7...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    DocGKR has a useful post on 5.7 ballistics in the Terminal ballistics section:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19913

In general, while it can be lethal (just as a .22lr ammo can be lethal with good placement and under the right conditions), it is not considered an effective duty or self-defense round because of its poor terminal performance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does anyone here have one? Because I am pretty interested in this myself. Not for self defense as much as target / match shooting.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Has anyone ever seen or heard of one of these to rent anywhere?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bump.

Feedback Score
    Yes, a range I used to go to in GA had both the 5.7 pistol for rent as well as a full-auto P90.

MadDog

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A local range has a 5-7 and a P90 for rent, assuming you are willing to pay their ammo prices

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You guys might want to do a search here regarding the 5.7mm cartridge and guns related to it.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently sold my FN 5.7 USG. It was a cool pistol. I never considered it a viable self defense option due to magazine restrictions in CA coupled with the anemic ammo marketed to general public. It was fun, but I can have the same fun cheaper with a .22. I also decided that there were better guns to tie up 1K on.

Feedback Score
    I own a FN Five Seven and shoot it better than anything I have ever shot, mine or someone else's. Even though it essentially a rifle round (.224) fired from a pistol its recoil is about 40% less than a 9mm and it is extremely controllable. I have shot Glocks for years, and carried them, based mostly on their reliability reputation, but my G22, G23 and G36 ALL at some points had FTE's. I have a tendency to limp wrist when rapid firing, and the Glocks would hang up at times. The FN Five Seven is the only automatic pistol I have owned that has been 100% reliable in all situations, even if I try to limp wrist it.

There are many misconceptions about the 5.7x28mm round for self defense mainly due to the fact most agencies that use the round, shoot the armor piercing round and use the Five Seven only in tactical situations. So when someone engages a soft target with AP rounds, they then wonder why they dont get 1 shot stops. AP rounds are made for piercing armor, not massive tissue damage, although the bullets do tumble and yaw which create larger wounds than other FMJ or AP rounds.

With the right ammunition, the 5.7x28mm cartridge will travel between 2100 and 2600 fps, a realm that produces severe hydrostatic shock and will produce MASSIVE wound cavities when combined with either hollow point or fragmenting bullets. The problem is, most people that buy the gun, will only use what FN supplies to the public which is anemic for self defense. The Elite ammo that the OP is talking about is "for real" and is available, albeit usually with a waiting period. I have ordered 4 boxes of the new S5 PFP myself and am expecting a 1-2 month wait.

In the end, I carry the FN Five Seven every day for a few reasons. It is extraordinarily light for a full size handgun (probably THE lightest), I shoot it better than any other pistol by a LONG shot, its it very controllable under rapid fire, has never failed me and 20+1 goes on forever in a pistol. In short it inspires confidence that I simply cant get anywhere else.
    Sorry for my long, first post.
    Last edited by Burdy; 04-17-10 at 17:28.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast