Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DPMS "The Agency" rifle

Feedback Score

DPMS "The Agency" rifle

I've been looking pretty hard at this gun. I like all the accessories it comes with. Does anyone have one or have any insight on it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That package DPMS ripped off of Rock River Arms "Government" model based on what was speced for the DEA contract they got years ago. I will say this about DPMS: they are a "sometimes/maybe" rifle manufacture. Sometimes/maybe you end up with one of their rifles that is totally reliable, runs flawlessly, and you are completely content with it. However, more times then not, you will have issues with it from substandard parts, non-spec chambers, to failure to properly QC the weapon before it leaves the factory.

Staring with the rifle, I would look at a number of reputable manufactures. Daniel Defense, LMT, BCM, Noveske, Colt are all top weapons with very few issues due to the use of high quality parts and stringent QC. For $ sake, DD and LMT are going to give you the best go. Those 2 companies comprise about 95% of the components for the many AR's I have built that are in my safe.

In regards to the accessories that come with that package, there are updated versions that are more worth while. A Daniel Defense Omega rail is probably the best drop-in rail system on the market. Surefire has come out with much smaller, brighter, and lighter illumination systems then the M951 series (the M600 Scout lights and X300's jump to mind). Lastly there are much better choices in a rear sight then the DPMS Magonel. For fixed, I would take Daniel Defense, while folding my choice would be Troy Industries followed by the Magpul MBUS if you're trying to stretch the penny.

As far as optics, I have used Eotech and Aimpooint extensively. I feel slightly faster and able to shoot tighter groups with the Eotech, however the Aimpoint offers more in the ruggedness and ability to take abuse department. I would take the Aimpoint optics (T-1, M3, or M4) for a general purpose carbine or a patrol rifle because of the extreme battery life and the ability to leave the optic on so it is always ready to go. Eotech is more of a direct action optic used for specific missions in which it excels beyond anything else in its class. I use the 552 and the new XPS with absolutly no issues. The 552 I've put a lot of rounds down with without a hiccup, and with lithium AA batteries, the runtime is extended.

Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ive got two of those sometimes rifles.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I would steer clear of DPMS personally. There are plenty of other alternatives that are cheaper. I can build a carbine for around 1500.00 that will outrun the DPMS any day of the week.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    $2069.00? Egad. For that money, you could a similar package with a high quality base gun and optic.

Example: Colt 6940 (~$1359.00), Comp ML3 2MOA w/ LT mount (~$569.00), and a G2 LED w/ TNVC or Malkoff on a VTAC (~$125). Total: $2053.00

You could adjust some components to keep the SF M951, or add a decent 2-stage trigger, or go to a T1 or M4S optic, or combinations thereof.
    Last edited by ST911; 04-19-10 at 09:05.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Start with a good foundation - good brand rifle, mostly good barrel and BCG, then go from there.

It's better to skimp on accessories (rail, optic if you co-witness) then on the rifle, or just save up for the good stuff.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Let's examnine what you get:

16"
    • 4140 Chrome-moly steel CRAP! No mention if it is HPT/MPI
    • Manganese phosphated
    • 6 groove, right-handed 1x9 twist, button rifled [b]CRAP]/b]
    • A2 Flash hider (birdcage)

Chamber:
    • 5.56 x 45mm Maybe, Maybe not

Method of Operation:
    • Gas operated rotating bolt

Bolt & Carrier:
    • Chrome plated 8620 steel bolt carrier, heat treated and plated per Mil Spec. NO need for a chome plated carrier
    • Phosphated steel bolt, heat treated and plated per Mil Spec. No mention of the bolt steel, or if it is HPT/MPI

Sights:
    • Standard A2 front sight assembly, DPMS flip-up rear CRAP

Upper Receiver:
    • Forged 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum alloy
    • Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black
    • A3 Flattop, no handle included. Ready for optics. Handle available seperately.
    • Dust cover
    • Shell deflector
    • Round forward assist
    • Right hand ejection

Lower Receiver:
    • Forged 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum alloy
    • Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black
    • Semi-auto trigger group CRAP! Stuck with DPMS's LPK
    • Aluminum trigger guard
    • Magazine release button

Stock: • Telescoping fiber reinforced polymer, fully functional CRAP! Commercial RE

Handguards:
    •Surefire Quadrail™ No one uses these any more (as there are much better choices)

Special Features: EoTech 552 Holographic sight, Surefire Quadrail with Weapons Mounted Light and spare bulb, tactical latch, Ergo grip Pass on the 552 (better EOTech's available); the SF weaponlight is old out dated technology and WAY too heavy and we have seen the Ergo grips break (so pass on that as well)

Ok, so it looks like a really subpar rifle for $2k.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 04-19-10 at 10:54.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Don't forget the well knwon and widely used DPMS Pardus stock!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would never trust a DPMS rifle for anything serious. Range rifle only. Out of spec parts, bolt catches breaking, pins breaking, crap LPK,s.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Our agency has some DPMS's in our inventory, we are in MN about 1 hour away from the plant (if you can call it that) so the local rep won over our previous admin. We also have some surplus Colt A1s that were converted to carbines. Out of all of our rifles we have only had problems with the DPMS's. We have had broken gas rings with in about 1000 rounds, uppers so tight you needed a pin and punch, and some broken parts in the lower.

When we sent the rifles back that you were not able to field strip in the field, tight fiting, I mean really tight they told me, "well you want them tight for accuracy." I replied that I wanted to be able to field strip it in the field to lube, clean, etc. He tried to take them apart and had to go in back to use tools. They had the gunsmith fix them by mearly grinding the hole in the upper receiving for the take down pin, mmm I guess thats one way.

Stay far, far away from anything DPMS, my first rifle is a DPMS which I will kep more so for sentimental reasons as it was the first rifle I built, it runs fine but probably due to the fact my mentor taught me to assemble it properly with better parts. Their "plant" is just a large hanger with a bunch of assemblers. I did not see much manufacturing of any parts etc, I'm guessing they do but probably out source it or import crap parts. I am trying to get our PD away from them but in the mean time we are stuck with them.

Dave

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast