Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrel life - SS match vs. chrome lined milspec

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

barrel life - SS match vs. chrome lined milspec

I am interested in finding out about expected barrel life of a stainless match barrel vs. a chrome lined milspec barrel. Let's assume the ammo is Federal XM193 55 gr. ball. The SS barrel I am thinking about is a White Oak. And for control purposes let's assume the milspec is a Colt. Both 16" midlength 1:7.

Any input would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would pick my bbl for the application of the AR. For precision lower volume shooting, the ss has the edge.

I prefer Chrome lined in a full blown battle gun that will see thousands of rounds in short order.

Life will depend on shooting styles but it's safe to say the bore of the mil spec colt will last longer than the white oak if used in the same scenario.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Depends on the type of stainless. There are stories circulating (including mentioned by John Noveske himself) that his SS barrels should still see great accuracy to 10,000+ rounds, and then drop off to 'mere' chrome-lined levels of accuracy.
    Last edited by akxx; 05-07-10 at 12:01.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Its more about the heat rather than the actual number of rounds down the SS tube that will degrade the accuracy.

You can overheat the colt barrel whereas I would steer clear with any well made SS barrel.

Feedback Score
    I remember reading an interview with John Noveske where he said some of his stainless barrels have had 15,000 rds fired in them and are still in service. Pretty impressive to say the least for a stainless barrel. I think the interview was in defense review. I am sure someone has a link to it for reference.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    One of those guys like ADCO or someone did an extreme round count test on a good SS barrel. It was posted on barftard a while back.

The gist of it was that the barrel lasted about as long as you'd expect a Chrome lined barrel would. If I had a link to the specifics, I'd post it, but

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman1012 View Post
    I remember reading an interview with John Noveske where he said some of his stainless barrels have had 15,000 rds fired in them and are still in service. Pretty impressive to say the least for a stainless barrel. I think the interview was in defense review. I am sure someone has a link to it for reference.
    http://www.defensereview.com/noveske...view-part-one/

Feedback Score
    Most maker's SS button rifled match barrels (including White Oak's) are worth about 3,000 rounds.

A chrome lined barrel is good for 10,000+, depending upon how it was made.

Very, very few chrome lined barrels will shoot as good as a White Oak stainless.
    Last edited by HelloLarry; 05-08-10 at 20:41.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloLarry View Post
    Most maker's SS button rifled match barrels (including White Oak's) are worth about 3,000 rounds.

A chrome lined barrel is good for 10,000+, depending upon how it was made.

Very, very few chrome lined barrels will shoot as good as a White Oak stainless.
    After 3000 rounds in the stainless steel barrel, match grade accuracy may deteriorate but will it be worse than a chrome lined barrel with 3,000rounds through it? What type of accuracy is acceptable from a combat carbine with a chrome lined barrel? When do the groups become large enough to require replacement? At 10,000 rounds will the accuracy of a stainless steel match barrel be worse than a chrome barrel with 10,000 rounds?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    In my experience if the two are shot similarly the SS barrel will last roughly half as much sometimes a little more than that vs. the chrome-lined barrel. The SS barrel will have much better accuracy vs. most chrome lined barrels. However some chrome-lined barrels are extremely accurate some as accurate as some SS match grade barrels. The two most accurate chrome-lined barrels I've found are the BCM BFH (hammer forged)chrome-lined and the Noveske N4 chrome-lined barrels.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast