Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PVS-14 helmet mount faves

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

PVS-14 helmet mount faves

've come to realize that I would like a little more adjustment in my PVS-14 helmet setup. Currently I'm running the USGI mount and J-arm, and I just can't get the adjustability I want out of it so I'm shopping around for something a little better. Currently my sights are set on a Notoros INVG, I like that when stowed it won't throw my PVS 3 feet above my head, and it seems like it's a little easier to fine tune the adjustments. I'm also considering the Wilcox L4 G24. I already have a VAS shroud and I like the low profile so whatever I choose has to work with it.

So, those things in mind, what is your favorite setup and why do you like it? I've already got a little information from Clasky on TOS but would like some more opinions from others using these systems as well.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Some swear by the wilcox mounts. But I found them to be just a little too overcomplicated and finnicky. I've been a big fan of the Norotos Titanium arms, in combination with the universal shroud.

I thought the VAS mount was just chinsy for what's being mounted on it.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Your first instinct is pretty good. Norotos works great.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    've come to realize that I would like a little more adjustment in my PVS-14 helmet setup. Currently I'm running the USGI mount and J-arm, and I just can't get the adjustability I want out of it so I'm shopping around for something a little better. Currently my sights are set on a Notoros INVG, I like that when stowed it won't throw my PVS 3 feet above my head, and it seems like it's a little easier to fine tune the adjustments. I'm also considering the Wilcox L4 G24. I already have a VAS shroud and I like the low profile so whatever I choose has to work with it.

So, those things in mind, what is your favorite setup and why do you like it? I've already got a little information from Clasky on TOS but would like some more opinions from others using these systems as well.
    The Norotos INVG is very good. I don't however like the release tab, as it is very small and nearly impossible to get at with gloves on. That being said the stow feature of the INVG for the PVS 14 is the best going.

The Wilcox G24 is a good choice as well. I use this one exclusively for mounting the NVD BNVDs. One other thing is the G24s angle seems to work the best on the Ops Core helmets as they have a steeper forward slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    Some swear by the wilcox mounts. But I found them to be just a little too overcomplicated and finicky. I've been a big fan of the Norotos Titanium arms, in combination with the universal shroud.

I thought the VAS mount was just chinsy for what's being mounted on it.
    The Wilcox are a complicated mount to be sure, What did you find finicky about them? My only wish is that I could somehow convert the Wilcox to a detent, force to overcome like the Norotos for the swing arm.

Interesting you found the VAS shroud chinsy, what do you feel is it's shortcoming? They are solid and I have never seen one break.

IPSC_GUY
    SIERRA II ALPHA

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IPSC_GUY View Post
    The Wilcox are a complicated mount to be sure, What did you find finicky about them? My only wish is that I could somehow convert the Wilcox to a detent, force to overcome like the Norotos for the swing arm.

Interesting you found the VAS shroud chinsy, what do you feel is it's shortcoming? They are solid and I have never seen one break.
    I found that while in the dark making any adjustments to the arms became an excercise in frustration. It was way too easy to accidentally hit the break away feature just trying to adjust the vertical travel. The Norotos', even the advanced ones, are very simple, and the controls seperated so you can't hit something accidentally.

As for the VAS, it just felt of less quality in comparison to the Norotos universal or 3/1-point systems. Generally when I shoot with NODS it's carrying them around all day, and then being able to clip them on with one hand. I found the wilcox's to be a two handed affair at best.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    I found that while in the dark making any adjustments to the arms became an exercise in frustration. It was way too easy to accidentally hit the break away feature just trying to adjust the vertical travel. The Norotos', even the advanced ones, are very simple, and the controls separated so you can't hit something accidentally.

As for the VAS, it just felt of less quality in comparison to the Norotos universal or 3/1-point systems. Generally when I shoot with NODS it's carrying them around all day, and then being able to clip them on with one hand. I found the wilcox's to be a two handed affair at best.
    When you say you hit the break away feature do you mean that you were accidentally switching the switch or do you mean you were actually knocking the mount from it's base?

As for ease of mounting either the Norotos is simple plug, push and it latches itself. With the Wilcox mount I can do it one handed, I take the mount in my right hand and with my thumb I actuate the lock once the mount is plugged into the base. Not quite as quick as the Norotos but not too bad either.

To the Op, what lack of adjustment are you finding with the USGI "Big Army" mount? Oh and what kind of helmet are you using this on?

With the INVG and the Dual Dovetail mount you will NOT have the same "swing in front of your eye" adjustments found on the current headset adapter AKA "the J Arm." Heck even the Wilcox Arm does not have the same adjustment range as the current J Arm.

If I were going to get an upgraded mount with just the PVS 14 in mind I would go with the INVG Just for the stow feature alone, as that is worth the price of admission RIGHT THERE.

IPSC_GUY
    SIERRA II ALPHA
    Last edited by IPSC_GUY; 07-24-10 at 02:57.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IPSC_GUY View Post
    To the Op, what lack of adjustment are you finding with the USGI "Big Army" mount? Oh and what kind of helmet are you using this on?

IPSC_GUY
    SIERRA II ALPHA
    Specifically vertical adjustment. The USGI rhino mount only has the tilt and fore-aft movement and I've found that while I can make it work, I feel like my head is at a weird angle. I'm using the PT-Alpha helmet so I'm curious if that's the issue or I really just can't get the rhino mount to adjust where I need it. The big draw to the INVG mount was the ease of vertical movement, and the ease of stowage is a bonus. I like being able to flip up the USGI mount without finding a button and carrying that through to the INVG seems like it would be a nice feature to have.

I'm not hands-on familiar with either it or the Wilcox G24 so I'm taking a gamble here but it seems like the INVG would be just as easy if not easier to adjust, and because it uses a screw to change height that it would be less prone to needing readjustment than the Wilcox. I would be worried that banging the lever would throw it out of alignment easier than something twisting the screw. I'm assuming that it's the lever that changes height on the G24 and not the screw on the side. It seems like a fair assessment but having never used either I'm looking for input.

I'm undecided on the break away feature of the G24, and if having that outweighs any benefit the INVG has. Also, while it stows lower than the USGI mount, it appears that it still has a higher profile than the Notoros. I also realize that I will be losing some side-to-side swing adjustment by going with the Notoros dovetail over the Wilcox twisty but I guess that's just something I'd have to try to decide.

I'm also thinking I may need to upgrade to a different helmet instead like the Fast BUMP where the shroud is mounted more vertically. That may solve my problems with the rhino mount but being just as wallet destroying it's kind of a wash as to which avenue to approach first.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    My vote is upgrade your base helmet first, then go for a nice INVG mount.

Feedback Score
    Well, I think it would be hard to comment any further than what Titleist and IPSC have already said. Between these two mounts, they pretty much have it nailed. But, for what it's worth, here is my anecdotal information.

I really like both INVG and G24 mounts. My personal use mount is the G24 in a VAS shroud. But, I wouldn't turn my nose up at the INVG. I really like the INVG's "push to overcome" mechanism because it allows you to use gross motion instead of fine motor skills. This is a good thing in the middle of a drama. But, it can also be a good thing in general because you don't have to search out a release button. However, it is a double edged sword in that it allows the system to inadvertently flip up if it is banged on something by accident. The G24 has a push button release lock. I haven't found this be a problem, but I train for it so I can use it by feel. I approach it the same way I retrieve magazines from a pouch. I place hand on what is known (in this case, the flip arm of the G24), and run my fingers straight back along the rail to the button. The button is circular and easy to feel. In this way, I know that my fingers will always make contact with the proper button. While I understand what Titleist said about accidentally releasing the other buttons, I feel it is a training issue, not a gear issue. But, to each his own.

Shroud Interface mechanisms are also worth mentioning. This category is also a tie, but for different reasons. The INVG comes out of the box with the standard USGI back plate. I have never liked this interface because it is kinda cheap-feeling. I've broken a couple of them and accidentally released the lever, dumping my NODS more than once (thank God for 550 cord). It has always been accidental while performing other tasks. I might get some webbing caught against it or something like that. But, the bottom line is the release is pretty touchy. The saving grace is that Norotos's ingenious engineering team has developed a modular system that allows you to swap back plates. They have a proprietary plate that locks into a proprietary shroud, making it much more stable.

But, you have to use the proper shroud for this back plate.

Wilcox has a very cool breakaway feature that allows you to set the mount. The G24 uses a shuttle switch to set it for hard mount(ain't coming off unless you release it) or breakaway (allows the mount to pop free from the shroud under 100 ft/lbs pressure). And, while the G24 interfaces with the same shrouds as the INVG, the Wilcox system uses a more robust release lever that requires more deliberate action to release.

As for the VAS shroud, I really like it. It is well made, lightweight, jump-rated, and stays secure to the helmet.
    TNVC
    Director of Operations & Product Development
    www.TNVC.com

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I was waiting for Clasky to pipe in on this discussion. My experience with NODs have been mostly self taught and by gleaming information from people more experienced than I am, obviously since I don't kick down doors at night for a living. So that puts my experience in a certain category that the guys from TNVC obviously trump.

That said, I've fumbled with the Wilcox mounts, and just found the INVG mounts more intuitive based on my needs. As Clasky pointed out it probably IS a training issue and not gear issue.

I really do like how flat the wilcox mounts lay in comparison to the surface of the helmet they're mounted on. Even with the INVG and Norotos Dovetail mount you still have to be hyper-aware when moving through a structure or in and out of a vehicle. It's REAL easy to whack the NODs against the top of a door.

The wilcox does have some nice features like the extra add ons like the retractable lanyard. But generally I find the INVG in combo with the 3 or 1 point mounts to be really simple to use. I love the universal shroud, but I'm still a huge fan of the 3/1 points that all you to just index it on the bottom of the plate, push in. Doesn't get simpler than that.

Thanks for the input, Clasky.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast