Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on SIG 556

Feedback Score

Thoughts on SIG 556

The price on this rifle has dropped to close to 1000 NIB. However there are numerous posts regarding the poor quality control, inconsistent responsiveness by SIG customer service, and expensive parts. Is this rifle a reasonable value at this price point when taking all of these factors into account when other quality AK style options exist such as the Arsenal 106 and Norinco 56. Please share your thoughts if you have fired one of the above rifles or another quality rifle in this class.

Thank you for participating in this discussion.

Feedback Score
    Even if the SIG 556 was $5, it's still a shoddy knockoff of a real SIG carbine, built to low standards with rotten QC

For $1000 why would anyone buy a 556 over a BCM?
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    I went to a gun show and played with a sig556 "classic' and "swat".

I immediately noticed ergonomic deficiencies and decided it was inferior to a decent mid length ar15 that I already paid for at a lower price.

The operating system is ideal, but that's not enough for me to warrant a purchase.

Further more, the stocks on the two rifles I handled were both loose as hell.

They were both placed next to a SCAR rifle. I could tell that the SCAR was not happy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Despite the opinions given in this thread, I love mine. I've had it for over a year now and I think its an awesome rifle for the price. Especially since I already had an AR when I bought mine, there didn't seem like any point in getting another AR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had one that I liked pretty well. It was an early model, I believe with many Swiss parts.

I actually think the design changes are improvements: lighter, AR mag-compatible lower, ability to take LOP-adjustable stock. It's SIG's lackluster QC that worries me.

Feedback Score
    My PD had two loners from Sig to play with as possible replacements for our current carbines. They were used and abused, never cleaned, and comments from our rangemasters said they ran like like crazy. Having said that, I dont like it as much as a well setup AR, and like it much less than the SCAR..

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've got a classic and love it. I have a few AR's so I wanted to try a 556. I never payed any attention to the 556 until the classic came out. Then I had to have one. I'm one of the people that wished they copied the 551 to begin with. I have the sig diopter sights and like them too.

As for the QC issues, mine has been fine. I read alot on the SIG556 forum before buying one and almost went with the ACR. Sig is probably not what it use to be, but from what I have read the customer service has replaced any problem rifles. I read alot of 556 complaints and now take them with a grain of salt. One of the latest complaints was about how the guy couldn't get the flash hider off using a screw driver and vice grips.

If you don't have a rifle I will be the first to recommend getting an AR first, but if you are looking for something different that will eat all types of ammo the sig may work for you. David

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    I went to a gun show and played with a sig556 "classic' and "swat".

I immediately noticed ergonomic deficiencies and decided it was inferior to a decent mid length ar15 that I already paid for at a lower price.

The operating system is ideal, but that's not enough for me to warrant a purchase.

Further more, the stocks on the two rifles I handled were both loose as hell.

They were both placed next to a SCAR rifle. I could tell that the SCAR was not happy.

Kal, I agree 100% and Man! I bet that SCAR was pissed....

I had a SWAT Classic. It always seemed like an adaptation of the 550 that Mattel or Hasbro came up with.
    It just exuded poor fit, QC, and a bunch of compromises rolled into one. Heck, torqued down, I could move the high dollar rear on the rail with my thumb.

As much as I tried, I just couldn't get a confidence that it would last like a good AR. I definitely feel it is not a SHTF weapon.

But maybe it's just me...

Last edited by ucrt; 09-25-10 at 11:05. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    My PD had two loners from Sig to play with as possible replacements for our current carbines. They were used and abused, never cleaned, and comments from our rangemasters said they ran like like crazy. Having said that, I dont like it as much as a well setup AR, and like it much less than the SCAR..
    A PD near mine got the loaners from SIG and liked them enough to order 6 rifles.....That is when the problems began right away. The problems were the same ones that others have had and documented on the SIG556 forum. All 6 rifles have since gone back to SIG and the department has cancelled the order.

Feedback Score
    I have a Classic SWAT, an early 556 with an AR style folding stock and a SWAT pistol that i plant to SBR. Love all 3 of them.
    I have had no QC problems with mine. Maybe I've been lucky.

My only complaint is that they are nose heavy.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast