Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FN SCAR 17S

Feedback Score

FN SCAR 17S

So, my FN SCAR 17S is here thanks to the eagle eyed searching of Edwin from work. He found a great deal at a local gun shop so this beautiful gal followed me home from work this week.

Out of the box it is hard to believe that a 7.62 X 51mm battle rifle is so light. Tipping the scales at just less than 8 lbs without a mag, this thing is seriously quick handling. I added a Night Force 1-4 optic and a VCAS 200-AA sling. Note that I had to reverse the Larue Tactical mount to keep from shredding my knuckles while charging the rifle. It’s now in some sort of reverse cantilever configuration, but it works. I’ll add a Surefire Scout Light in a Danger Close mount as soon as they get here. The rifle came with only one mag though I was able to score a few more through the generosity of a good friend.

The colors of the upper, lower, and stock are about as mismatched as they could possibly be and still fall under the FDE umbrella. The PWS brake on the end of the barrel is huge. I mean freaking BIG. I’m going to swap it out for a Surefire as soon as their SCAR H compatible brakes are available.

I took it out to get a couple of rounds through it this evening. This thing is a shooter for damn sure. While there is no doubt that you are shooting a “real” cartridge, it is BY FAR the softest shooting 7.62X51mm I have ever shot which is especially notable due to the light overall weight. I plan on taking the timer out with me next trip and compare some spilt times and see how fast and maneuverable it really is.

As the days are getting short I only had time to zero it and run a couple of mags through it (about 175 rounds total). This included M118LR, Mk316Mod1, M80, and some sort of SOCOM issued barrier blind round that looks like it is loaded with the Barnes TSX bullet. Accuracy was excellent. Most of the shooting was done at 50 meters for zeroing purposes, but I took some pot shots at the jetsam floating around the 100m mark with good effect. What I found most interesting was the POA/POI deviations with the different bullet weights/configurations. With 5.56mm it seems that I can run anything through my guns and get no more than 2 or 3 MOA shift. With this rifle, I was seeing as much as 6 or 7 MOA shifts between the different cartridges. Definitely something to file away for future reference.

Some photos:

Overall layout:

Serious medicine for the muhj…

Did I mention this thing is freakin’ huge? 3 full inches long… Well, I guess 3 inches is only huge by Irish standards; right Pat :ROFL:

Here is the barrier blind group. POA was the 1” black dot low and right of the group. Huge POA/POI shift!

Best group of the day was 5 shots just under an inch with M118LR shot off a bipod at 50m. I plan on stretching it out to 100 the next trip.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice review, im in the market for one of these. nice to see more people getting them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the review. I've had my eye on that platform for a while. Maneuverable, lightweight, and accurate 7.62 slinger? Yes please!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I do want one of these, it would be nice to have this and the 5.56 conversion. I hope to see more reviews and more folks picking them up.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    I really like that gun but there is no way I would buy one until they have been around long enough to know if a 6-7 MOA change in the POI is something that is inherent to that platform or you were just unlucky. That sort of shift is unacceptable IMHO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
    I really like that gun but there is no way I would buy one until they have been around long enough to know if a 6-7 MOA change in the POI is something that is inherent to that platform or you were just unlucky. That sort of shift is unacceptable IMHO.
    Well, there is a 45 grain difference between the M118LR (175 grain bullet) I zeroed it with and the Barrier Blind round (130 grain bullet). I'll play around with it some more next trip out. These are the exact same barrels that go into the SCAR H Standard so I may ask around NSW and see if they're seeing the same thing.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_H View Post
    Well, there is a 45 grain difference between the M118LR (175 grain bullet) I zeroed it with and the Barrier Blind round (130 grain bullet). I'll play around with it some more next trip out. These are the exact same barrels that go into the SCAR H Standard so I may ask around NSW and see if they're seeing the same thing.

Stephen
    I would be willing to bet that the 45 grain difference plays a major role in the POI shift. The barrier blind bullet is also of different design. Different aerodynamics if Im not mistaken.

Nice write up Stephen.
    Last edited by SRT-M4; 10-08-10 at 14:03.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Do you find the rail length limited?

On an AR and SR25 I like the longer rails. Not sure Id like a carbine length rail esp on a 308.

Lights have to be mounted much further in creating a lot more barrel shadow, and less area to rest the gun on something like a barrier without putting the weight of the gun on the barrel affecting POI between shots.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT-M4 View Post
    I would be willing to bet that the 45 grain difference plays a major role in the POI shift. The barrier blind bullet is also of different design. Different aerodynamics if Im not mistaken.

Nice write up Stephen.

Thanks; in my usual fashion I'll keep adding to it.

I just talked to a good friend who was formerly on the SCAR program about it and he says the barrier round I have is probably an early version of the 7.62mm SOST round and in addition to being a very light bullet for a 7.62mm it is also loaded to the max pressure for the cartridge. That explains that.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Do you find the rail length limited?

On an AR and SR25 I like the longer rails. Not sure Id like a carbine length rail esp on a 308.

Lights have to be mounted much further in creating a lot more barrel shadow, and less area to rest the gun on something like a barrier without putting the weight of the gun on the barrel affecting POI between shots.
    I don't particularly care for the stretched out rails. The longest rail on any of my guns is only 9 inches. I could stand for a couple more inches, but as it is I like the fact that it is extremely lightweight and quick handling.

Your points are correct. Just something to be aware of and train for...

Stephen

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast