Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New product for JP/Troy VTac fans...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

New product for JP/Troy VTac fans...

By way of background:
    I'm not a huge fan of the four rail picatinny type forends as I view them as unnecessarily bulky, weighty and generally feeling like I'm hanging on to a four sided porcupine. The rails while serving a purpose, are generally additional real estate that is not needed in many instances. Your mileage may vary but thats my feeling. That said, I'm stuck in certain situations with a four rail design and nothing I can do about it. However, on my personal sticks...whole nuther subject.

Once I was introduced to and tried the JP forends (previous to the Troy forend arriving on the scene) I knew that it was a great product and was the answer to my prayers. That said, when they get loaded up with rail pieces, they too can get weighty. But at least one could attach mission essential components where one wanted them and wouldn't be stuck with the obligatory 12, 3, 6 and 9 positions nor the excess "rail" estate. So why not direct mount the goods and avoid the additional weight caused by rail pieces? Well simply, none existed before now...

So another answer to my prayers came onto the scene: IWC's products for JP and Troy VTac forends (as well as the new Magpul MOE forends). I recently tried the new IWC Quick Detatch (QD) limited rotation "Mount N Slot" sling attachment point. I've attached a few pictures of this product and just a few comments to this unique and long overdue kit. My hat is off to the IWC Team for seeing a need and responding to it.

Top view of previous setup using short rail piece and Midwest sling attachment:

Another view looking from top/front view to rear:

The componentry of the old 7 piece set up (note the female QD sling attatchent point is actually 3 parts):

Illustration of the old setup minus the sling attached (note the height and bulkiness):

Illustration of the weight of those 7 parts:

Illustration of the height of the old setup:

Now for the new IWC QD setup as delivered in their packaging along with the tools to assemble the unit:

The IWC parts minus the packaging and tools (Note the IWC unit is only 3 parts TOTAL):

Illustration of the weight of the new IWC parts in grams:

Illustration of the height of the new IWC parts:

The comparison shot of the old setup versus the new IWC mount:

And finally the IWC setup mounted solo:

On top of all that, cost of my old set up to include the JP 2" rail piece and Midwest QD mount was $68 give or take a nickel versus $30 for the IWC QD Mount. I for one appreciate IWC addressing a long standing need. Based on what I've seen so far, I expect good things from this company.

Feedback Score
    Thats pretty nice!
    As required: "I work for ITS Tactical as an editor".

Feedback Score
    I wonder if that will work with the VTAC TRX Extreme rail... Very nice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.... I have the Troy 11" Extreme TRX on my middy. Looks like they make one for my Troy rail.
    Thanks for the great review El Mac.
    Last edited by jetspeed8; 10-12-10 at 05:30. Reason: added more comments

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jetspeed8 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.... I have the Troy 11" Extreme TRX on my middy. Looks like they make one for my Troy rail.
    Thanks for the great review El Mac.
    Well, lo and behold they do make it for the VTAC Extreme battlerail.
    http://store.impactweaponscomponents...olimofor1.html

Looks like I need 3. One for each side of the tube... then one for the bottom side of the tube to use as a low profile handstop.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I will try one in the future. It looks difficult to mount it without removing the rail? What's your thinking on it? for the time being I've got 3 of these for my 3 Troys.

http://store.troyind.com/product_p/smou-000-l0bv-00.htm

They work great for a sling. The only thing I would change is to make them ambi, cause I'm a lefty! They can flip flop though, just not at the same time.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    I'm sure it's a little tricky to get it, but I expect to be able to do it without removing anything.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    After looking at your pictures I think you could use a dental pick or modified small screwdriver (bent tip) to hold it above your head from another hole or slot while starting the screw with the other. It might take a 3rd hand but wifes and kids have those. I think I'll go ahead and try one just to try it.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Yes, it most definitely will.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    I will try one in the future. It looks difficult to mount it without removing the rail? What's your thinking on it? for the time being I've got 3 of these for my 3 Troys.
    It could be done with the Troy. The JP tube is quite easy to remove however so I didn't give that aspect a second thought.

With the Troy, I suspect you could use a magnetic tool/small thin screwdriver to come at it from the backside to hold the nut. Incidentally, the mount package from IWC comes with a thin plastic strip device that can hold the nut 'backer' in place while you turn the screw through the actual mount. Couple of options there for you. Its really easy money.
    Last edited by El Mac; 10-12-10 at 22:34.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast