Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MRP CQB 10.5" AAR...100yd groups using several types of ammo

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

MRP CQB 10.5" AAR...100yd groups using several types of ammo

Hi guys, so this morning I went to the range to see about accuracy regarding a cpl. types of duty/shtf ammo through my recent MRP CQB project. I like to use a honest evaluation method using 100yd. distances and 10rd. groups. I simply swapped the normal T-1 for this build w. a NXS compact 2.5-10x24 w. compact mil dot ret., and threw a bi-pod on it. All groups were fired prone with a bi-pod, with no support in the rear. The barrel is a Rock 10.5" CL 1/7 5.56 w. a standard A2 f/h.

After firing the three shtf loads I realized I wanted to let this dude off the lease with some more precision based loads, however unfortunately I had not planned on doing a true precision/accuracy evaluation and thereby left just about every accurate load I like to use at the house. Luckily I had 1bx. of Remington 55gr. Accu tip and always have Monarch brass 55gr. FMJBT for range use so I went ahead a shot a few groups with this stuff.

I unequivocally CHOKED my ass off on the far right group and I am absolutely sick over it. The furthest flyer was no shit the 8th rd. of the group...somehow managed to hit the mark w. the 9th even though I knew I had just ruined something unbelievable and finished up with a sloppy ass final shot that is the small flyer. For some who don't chase the precision aspect of AR's prob. cannot really understand, however some here will know just what it feels like when you have the first 5..6...7 rds of a group within or less than a half inch. It's a complete mind f**k given how much likelihood that the last few rounds of a group always open up on a 10rd group at least a shade, and as always a flyer is just a jerk away.

After being floored today with this little 10.5" CL barrel's accuracy, count on a follow up report involving 55gr. Vmax, TAP T2, BH's 68gr. HPBT, and maybe even a 69gr. and 77gr. SMK load. I certainly expect this barrel to be well within sub moa territory with some precision type ammo and that is quite the surprise at least for myself.

eta...in case it's non legible what the ammo types are...Hornady TAP 60gr. Barrier, Federal TRU, Remington Accutip 55gr., Monarch 55gr. FMJBT, and Barnes 55gr. TSX
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 02-16-11 at 20:30.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Trident,

Thanks for posting that. All BS aside, I think this post has some serious validity. Those groups are more than good enough for combat accuracy. Hopefully people reading this will realize that this was fired from a 10.5" barrel and according to some "internuts" we all know how "inaccurate" they are.

Would love to see some groups fired with BH 77gr. match, Hornady 75gr. TAP and some PPU 75gr. as well.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I like that report as well. I plan to do the same when I get my stamp. I have always wondered (and will find out) what my AR's would shoot if I took off my scope from my LMT MWS 4.5-14 Luepold and shot groups.

I have shot 5 shot 1 inch groups with my Colt 6940 with 16 inch. Hornady 55g Vmax. With a 4X ACOG.

Just cant wait to see what 11.5 and 12.5 can do.

Great subject I look forward to learning more about. Its just most people have RDS or 4X power as max optic.

Feedback Score
    Don't think I saw it - was it a DI or piston gun? I'm assuming it was DI.

Feedback Score
    Nice job Trident. Out of curiosity; what power did you have the NF 2.5-10x set to?

Cheers
    Life is like a shit sandwich...the more bread you have the less shit you have to eat.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    Its DI

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky130 View Post
    For the MRP, 10.5" is only available as DI - 12.5" is the shortest piston length.

Feedback Score
    Wouldn't have a pic of the whole weapon with original sight ready to run?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the report and demonstration of capabilities. Pardon me if I was gone for the discussion, but I hadn't heard a lot of grumbling about accuracy with that form factor. Isn't the main issue with the 10.5" 5.56 barrel terminal effectiveness due to reduced muzzle velocity? If yes, can this reduced effectiveness be overcome with proper round selection?
    Last edited by czydj; 02-18-11 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    This is complete bullshit. Someone actually shooting and performing comparative testing? Under controlled circumstances?

Nice writeup and thanks, bro

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast