Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Test and evaluation methods of Flash hiders/brakes

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

What I AM interested in knowing is if anyone has thoughts on whether different devices perform differently with different ammo relative to one another. For example, if you test a series of devices with Wolf 55 grain FMJ and the results come out in order:
    A, B, C, D, E
    from least flash to most, would you potentially get a different order when testing with XM913 or would they all see the same relative level of decrease or increase thereby keeping the order the same?
    I think there are several possible outcomes.
    1) low flash powder is used - all devices perform well with only small differences between them.

2) (most likely) all devices rank the same, regardless of powder

3) if the optimal fuel air mixture for flash is different for different powders, due to the differences between how the devices work, result ranking could change with powder changes.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I think there are several possible outcomes.
    1) low flash powder is used - all devices perform well with only small differences between them.

2) (most likely) all devices rank the same, regardless of powder

3) if the optimal fuel air mixture for flash is different for different powders, due to the differences between how the devices work, result ranking could change with powder changes.
    This is VERY insightful.

When a barrel becomes very hot, residue in the barrel continues to vaporize, leaving a long column of gas that can be ignited by the round coming from BEHIND the gas. After it is ignited by that first round, subsequent shots experience different conditions.

We know after a magazine dump, with its subsequent locked-open bolt, a fuel-air mix can occur -- thus, after the magazine reload, the first round can be brighter.

So, contrary to what some might believe, it is difficult to control all factors as constants -- much like the first cold-bore shot from a rifle could have a different POI from those shots fired from a hot one.

We have said this countless times: The BattleComp is not a can. If flash elimination and sound reduction is necessary for mission success, use a can. We readily affirm that Patrol Officers and those doing real CQB (without the option of a can), would benefit from a device that provides significant muzzle rise mitigation, with flash not significantly more than the A2.

The BattleComp is NOT the best brake, nor is it a flash hider. If you want a pure brake, look at the SJC Titan or the Benny Hill Rolling Thunder. If you want a pure flash hider, go with an SEI Vortex or an AAC Blackout. We have NEVER claimed the BattleComp was better than those great niche products. We just believe the BattleComp continues to be a well-balanced muzzle device that provides multiple benefits without significantly creating liability.

The better question is, "What is really significant?"

YMMV.

This is great discussion, probably best devoted to its own thread.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    But we are still left with the same question:
    Given all of the parameters are the same, will the rankings change based on ammo used, temp of barrel, number of rounds fired, etc.?

So in other words if I start with a 100* barrel and fire five rounds of Wolf 62 grain HP, and do that for every device and establish rankings, will it generate a different ranking than one round SM193, 70* barrel?

My intention is to conduct the test the same way for each device, record the process and the results, report same, and wait for the Monday-morning quarterbacking to commence.

Ultimately there is no test that's going to settle all of this. Folks that prefer one device, and have endorsed it over all others, are going to look for ways to debunk a test that does not paint their favorite in a good light. Others who are looking to grind an axe against the same brand will hold up a test that determines it does not live up to the hype. High drama is sure to ensue either way.

Even when it comes to the muzzle climb testing, I fully expect to hear how I "did it wrong".

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Better you than me, brother. Good luck with your efforts. I am certain you will do your best, regardless.

Be safe.
    Alan
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

Feedback Score
    I fully expect to hear how I "did it wrong".
    Sounds like Mythbusters.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It's deja vu all over again! LOL
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm still surprised how many people aren't aware of the connection between BC and Mythbusters
    Last edited by Duffy; 02-25-11 at 20:42.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ...Even when it comes to the muzzle climb testing, I fully expect to hear how I "did it wrong".
    Let them. You will have accomplished something the critics have not- Rolled up your sleeves and put your questions to the test.

I have not tried my BABC or BC 1.0. I do not expect them to be perfect. I'm hoping the BA 1.0 does not adversely affect accuracy on the precision rifle I'm assembling.

I figure it like this- The largest flash I'll have on my AR would be with no muzzle device. I didn't buy the BABC or BA 1.0 for flash suppression, I bought it in hopes they will perform as advertised, that is, as an effective compensators without the obnoxious side-blast. If they deliver, I will be a very satisfied customer (judging from the reports of other BC users, I don't expect to be disappointed). Any reduction in muzzle flash is a bonus. BCE has already proven to me personally that they deliver excellent customer service.

While the critics may pick nits in the findings from the comfort of their armchairs, I'm looking forward to seeing the end results

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I'm still surprised how many people aren't aware of the connection between BC and Mythbusters
    Wow, check that out. I just bought it seeing what it MM was able to do, shooting the AR one handed in full auto, without throwing the blast at the people next to you, AND do a decent job of handling the flash, not because of a connection to a cool TV show.

back to testing - would it be possible to get some ultra-high speed video cameras to record the flash? If they were fast enough, you could catch each stage of the flash...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Absolutely. Google the Phantom Flex. 1080pHD at 2500 frames per second. It rents for $3k/day without support gear or lenses. If there were a paycheck involved (or even if someone covered cost of the rental gear) I'd happily shoot the tests - but I don't have the bank roll to do it and there aren't any other cameras that can shoot that fast at any decent resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    back to testing - would it be possible to get some ultra-high speed video cameras to record the flash? If they were fast enough, you could catch each stage of the flash...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast