Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PWS MK114 or MK116

Feedback Score

PWS MK114 or MK116

Anyone have some trigger time on this rifle? I am scouring the forums to find out if people like this platform or not. The little I have heard is excellent! I am on the fence between, this an LWRC M6A2 or a SCAR. Let me know. Thanks

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you want a piston gun, get a SCAR. If you want an AR thats ready to rock from the factory with great features, get a DD rifle.

Feedback Score
    What are you doing that makes you think you will need a piston gun? A DI will be just as reliable in 99% of conditions if lubed properly. I'm sure you can save weight, cost, and headache by simply getting a DI. There are no real advantages to a piston that outweigh the cost of the heavier, more front-heavy, more complex rifle you get from having one. DI gets a bad wrap from companies like Bushmaster that put out a sub-standard product, however if Bushmaster put together a piston gun, it would be just as un-reliable simply due to the fact Bushy has no clue when it comes to putting an actual reliable rifle together. Give a company like Daniel Defense or BCM a chance, as they actually know what they are doing when it comes to AR's, and will are almost be guaranteed to fit your needs.
    Taken from a random Sniper's Hide Post
    It's really hard to judge by the size, but that [critter] looks to be in the class of "Big Mother ****er" and perhaps the family of "Stay the **** Back"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Find ManBearPig! View Post
    What are you doing that makes you think you will need a piston gun? A DI will be just as reliable in 99% of conditions if lubed properly. I'm sure you can save weight, cost, and headache by simply getting a DI. There are no real advantages to a piston that outweigh the cost of the heavier, more front-heavy, more complex rifle you get from having one. DI gets a bad wrap from companies like Bushmaster that put out a sub-standard product, however if Bushmaster put together a piston gun, it would be just as un-reliable simply due to the fact Bushy has no clue when it comes to putting an actual reliable rifle together. Give a company like Daniel Defense or BCM a chance, as they actually know what they are doing when it comes to AR's, and will are almost be guaranteed to fit your needs.
    With all do respect I am looking for a piston. I am not a hater of DI. In fact I absolutely love the KAC SR15 (Silky soft, my favorite!!), DD, BCM (Best Value), and Noveske. They are the cream of the crop of the DI. But a DI even lube approaching the 2k round count needs to be cleaned. The Gas Block starts getting gunked up and will fail to cycle the bolt. My BCM will come but for now I want another piston. I have a SR-556C and an ACR but really want one really stellar piston whether AR or something else. I am looking to sell the Ruger and the ACR get one Piston and then a BCM or KAC...then an AK

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soapboxpreacherman View Post
    With all do respect I am looking for a piston. I am not a hater of DI. In fact I absolutely love the KAC SR15 (Silky soft, my favorite!!), DD, BCM (Best Value), and Noveske. They are the cream of the crop of the DI. But a DI even lube approaching the 2k round count needs to be cleaned. The Gas Block starts getting gunked up and will fail to cycle the bolt. My BCM will come but for now I want another piston. I have a SR-556C and an ACR but really want one really stellar piston whether AR or something else. I am looking to sell the Ruger and the ACR get one Piston and then a BCM or KAC...then an AK
    I have about a 4500 rd count on my BCM 12.5" SBR (alot of that with a suppressor and with Wolf ammo) since I last cleaned it and it still runs like a dream, without any problems. I don't know what kind of rifle you have that NEEDS a cleaning after 2k rounds, but I'd get rid of it if I were you and get something that's quality that you can run for thousands of rounds without cleaning and with proper lube. I've never heard of a gas block getting so "gunked up" that the rifle doesn't run.
    Last edited by jsummers; 04-18-11 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soapboxpreacherman View Post
    I too have never heard of a gasblock getting so gunked up, it stops cycling.
    That's a whole-nother topic though and it doesnt address your querry so back on point... I agree with Mr. Goodtimes. If you want a piston, get the SCAR or a known-good platform that was designed for the piston system. I have nothing against the scar or any other piston platform. I just think the system itself does not belongs on an AR. It just wasnt designed for it and applying it to the platform causes more problems than it "solves".
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 04-18-11 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    Dont have extensive experience with many DI and it has been sometime since I attended a carbine class much I dont remember and need to attend another. I vaguely remember several bushmaster...once again this was so time ago. Many of them went down throughout the course. The instructor was clear about keeping the gun lubed during the course. Some still stopped and sat out to clean and help improve their rifles so they could continue with the course. The cleaning did seem to help and they made it through the course but it did leave me wondering why if it was lubed enough? I was shoulder a buddies Olympia Arms...ok commence laughter. I was as green as they come and only shoot an AR once prior. I wish I could remember more about that course but the significant amount of stoppage occurred at that course surprised me. I dont believe the instructor is even around anymore but I am looking to get a new rifle and take another course for now I believe I would do better. I have a little more cash in my pocket and want to treat myself to something nice. As I stated I love the SR15 and really like the BCM! Of the DI it is very nice but my post is about the Mk114. Hearing the 4500k and no cleaning is quite nice something I didnt think was typical. But BCM is an excellent rifle and seems to be a great value and of some of the highest quality parts around...you guys are making me have second thoughts. I am not overlly impressed with my Ruger and my ACR is a boat anchor. I have not shot the ACR for I just dont like the weight at all and balance. Being unshot I can hopefully get what I paid for it. So that is why I am not shooting it. The MK114 is something different. It is light, balanced, reasonable on the wallet, and seems quite reliable but it is new and that scares me. It is a soft shooter and uses a long stroke piston so the weight is better positioned not to mention its an AK style piston...AK are very reliable but not as accurate. I do like the ergos on an AR just because I am use to it. The MK114 is aroung 1450 and it is setup pretty nice for that price. The BCM is around 1200 for the recce 16. Weight is similar, balance, parts are gonna be super easy to replace so it certainly has all that going. Just my 2 cents. But I am not completely eliminating a DI, the MK114 just caught my eye and I havent heard one bad thing yet.

Feedback Score
    Ya, unfortunately, the samples you had at this particularly class were bushies and an oly. If youre really set on a piston, again, get a platform designed for a piston and not a piston AR.
    The BCM is around 1200 for the recce 16. Weight is similar, balance, parts are gonna be super easy to replace so it certainly has all that going.
    Absolutely right on this one, although, I doubt anything would need to replacement anytime soon, if at all.
    Im sure you'll be perfectly happy with a DI. Check out this article on Filthy14. http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...fiDzTkWJdFSojg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I own an AR in 5.45x39. I use corrosive surplus ammo in it. I am a notorious lazy slob when it comes to weapon maintenance. That is why I so love the AK and the Glock. When I decided to go 5.45x39 with an AR I did EXTENSIVE research on the matter. I debated the possibility of doing a piston conversion to help ease cleaning. After MUCH research about piston systems in an AR I decided that I would be much better off sticking with DI and spending the piston money on getting the gun done in NP3, which I did and it works great and dramatically simplifies cleaning.

I have one friend who has an LWRC M6A2 and another who has a PWS diablo in 7.62x39. They both run great. I also know a police officer who briefly had a a POF gun (don't remember the designation). The reason why the police officer had the POF only briefly is because it never worked correctly and after 3 trips back to POF for non existent or crappy customer service which failed to resolve the issue, he gave up.

First off, I would not get a piston AR. IF I did get a piston AR it would be either a new (so that a previous owner did mess with it and for warranty reasons) complete upper or preferably a complete rifle from either LWRC or PWS, ONLY, PERIOD.

LWRC addressrd carrier tilt in part by modifying the carrier. PWS took a very different and unique approach different than all other AR piston systems. PWS uses a long stroke AK type piston and the piston itself serves as a guide rod to help reduce carrier tilt issues. In addition they also use a buffer tube that helps as well.

What somebody needs to do is a make an all brand new piston upper that has a rectangular cross section and just so happens to fit on an AR lower (and preferably allows for a folding stock or at least does not send a carrier into the stock tube).

TED

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Assuming that you *have* to clean an AR every 2000 rounds regardless of needing to lube it, what on earth are you doing that you can't take ten minutes of your time to go do it? Basically, you'd have to clean your rifle maybe 10 times across the barrel's lifespan - two hours total for the life of the weapon. The horror!

Seriously, what justifies getting a system the AR was not designed for? Soldiers carry an 1/8 of that much ammo on them when they go on patrol and I seriously doubt you're going to be in a harsher situation than that.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast