Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MK318 SOST (back-yard testing)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I 2nd his findings as that is exactly what the ones I shot did. The Mk319 did infact look like a traditional hunting bullet when fired into water from a 13" SCAR. The Mk318 I shot did identical to his from a 10" barrel. When time allows, I plan to play with this stuff some more through a test sheetrock wall, glass, & metal.

I think it's a good round, the only thing that bothers me is the fliers with these rounds. I have shot this stuff from a SCAR & AR with similar results, 7-8 nice & tight, then 2-3 fliers. The Mk319 did the exact same thing from my SCAR 17 & a Remington M700 Vss. Now I did shoot 10 rounds of Mk319 through a KAC SR25 EM & for whatever reason (5R rifling), it grouped markedly better. There were no fliers. This puzzled me, & I want to get some more Mk319 to see what's up.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    I 2nd his findings as that is exactly what the ones I shot did. The Mk319 did infact look like a traditional hunting bullet when fired into water from a 13" SCAR. The Mk318 I shot did identical to his from a 10" barrel. When time allows, I plan to play with this stuff some more through a test sheetrock wall, glass, & metal.

I think it's a good round, the only thing that bothers me is the fliers with these rounds. I have shot this stuff from a SCAR & AR with similar results, 7-8 nice & tight, then 2-3 fliers. The Mk319 did the exact same thing from my SCAR 17 & a Remington M700 Vss. Now I did shoot 10 rounds of Mk319 through a KAC SR25 EM & for whatever reason (5R rifling), it grouped markedly better. There were no fliers. This puzzled me, & I want to get some more Mk319 to see what's up.
    Is your ammo the white or brown-box?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The 318 I have is the brown box stuff from Palmetto State Armory. It came in a sealed LC can. The 319 is the white box stuff, again from Palmetto State

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The ammo I tested was white-box. I have not yet fired it for accuracy/consistency.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Get some windshields from your local junkyard to set up in front of your impact material, and hit it again, if you're of a mind to. The barrier performance on that little beauty is definitely something to see.

Im general, larger groups are more likely to "fill" out the beaten zone of a given gun/ammo combo, so doing 10s/20s are more likely to give a more complete picture of what you're dealing with. Those fliers could simply be at or near the outer edge of what that lot is capable of printing in that gun.

Also bear in mind that what you're buying is what failed to pass some spec or another, and was made available for commercial purchase; that adds some intangibles that may or may not be seen in the stuff that does pass all tests and gets accepted by the contract holder, and may or may not be something one can analyze from what's printed on target. That's kinda boilerplate, and maybe I'm being pedantic typing that out.....

Impossible to say what that might be unless somebody at the plant is willing/able to tell you why XX lot# was sold to Palmetto instead of going to the original customer.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Get some windshields from your local junkyard to set up in front of your impact material, and hit it again, if you're of a mind to. The barrier performance on that little beauty is definitely something to see.

Im general, larger groups are more likely to "fill" out the beaten zone of a given gun/ammo combo, so doing 10s/20s are more likely to give a more complete picture of what you're dealing with. Those fliers could simply be at or near the outer edge of what that lot is capable of printing in that gun.

Also bear in mind that what you're buying is what failed to pass some spec or another, and was made available for commercial purchase; that adds some intangibles that may or may not be seen in the stuff that does pass all tests and gets accepted by the contract holder, and may or may not be something one can analyze from what's printed on target. That's kinda boilerplate, and maybe I'm being pedantic typing that out.....

Impossible to say what that might be unless somebody at the plant is willing/able to tell you why XX lot# was sold to Palmetto instead of going to the original customer.
    From what I understand, the white-box stuff is firsts made for civilian/LE sales. The brown-box stuff is reject.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Hell, you're right. My mind breezed right past that for some reason, sorry.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    From what I understand, the white-box stuff is firsts made for civilian/LE sales. The brown-box stuff is reject.

I have yet been able to ascertain whether this sentiment is factually correct or simply an internet rumor. This is not the first time I have seen it. Does anyone have official confirmation from Federal which they can cite or link or post which confirms this? I.e., does anyone have proof of the above statement? The burden of proof is on the party making the assertion and I've seen no proof.

When we pay nearly a dollar a round, whether it is a "first" or a "reject" might possibly be important, depending, of course, on why something is rejected. The color of the box may be unimportant, although I have noticed that what is printed on the box does differ whether it is white or brown.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wow! I didn't realize that fragmentation of Mk318 wasn't yaw dependent or that it would fragment out to such a low velocity.

Doc, do you have any gel shots of Mk318 or at least the critical information (ie: penetration, neck length, max cavity, etc)?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Chuck Norris View Post
    I have yet been able to ascertain whether this sentiment is factually correct or simply an internet rumor. This is not the first time I have seen it. Does anyone have official confirmation from Federal which they can cite or link or post which confirms this? I.e., does anyone have proof of the above statement? The burden of proof is on the party making the assertion and I've seen no proof.

When we pay nearly a dollar a round, whether it is a "first" or a "reject" might possibly be important, depending, of course, on why something is rejected. The color of the box may be unimportant, although I have noticed that what is printed on the box does differ whether it is white or brown.
    This is as close as I can get:
    http://usarmorment.com/federal-mk318...se-p-1701.html

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast