Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hk 416 user feedback?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hk 416 user feedback?

Granted, there are comparatively fewer end users of the 416 system than most other AR platforms around, but I was curious if there is anyone on the forum here that has a background of experience with the Hk 416 platform and would be willing to share their feedback.

All the "Hk hates us," bad customer service, and overpriced" babble aside, it would be cool to hear how these rifles actually perform.

Any noticeable improved capabilities?
    Any shortcomings?
    What works well? What doesn't work so well?
    How is F/A performance? Suppressed performance?
    How is parts life?

...etc...

I think it would just be cool to hear more first-hand feedback from the guys running these elusive things!

Thanks!
    Last edited by MikeCLeonard; 11-18-11 at 00:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you asking about real HK 416's or the MR556?

I have had an HK 416 for the past year.
    I have not had one issue using it mainly because I keep it clean and especially inspect my GI mags frequently. The main ammo it eats is green-tip for training and brown-tip for actual use. No issues with mil-spec ammo. Being a short barrel there is still plenty of muzzle flash with the A2 flash hider and shooting off the ground still kicks up plenty of dust.
    We only have GemTech HALO's currently and they are heavy and heat up quickly and stay hot for a while. Me being a lefty, I still get plenty of hot gas blowing back at me from the ejection port. I can't shoot suppressed without eye-pro.
    Full-auto fire IMHO sucks with this gun. The perceived recoil seems to pound much harder than a gas gun. I ended up ordering a SpringCo "Red" spring to see if it would tame the recoil and it only did slightly.
    Accuracy is adequate. I get about 2-3" groups at 100y with brown tip but some are slightly worse. I have not had a chance to put a magnified optic on it and actually see what it can do; those are just averages using an RDS.
    The gun itself is heavy; I would rather have Mk 18. The gas piston still gets dirty and must be cleaned just like the BCG on a gas gun. When shooting suppressed, the inside of the receiver still gets trashed like any other gas AR.
    I still keep the BCG properly lubed like I would any other AR BCG.
    Parts seem to wear just like any other AR only now you have the piston rods and springs to wear and fail.

Overall it's a good gun. I would never buy one if they became available but if I was forced to use a piston AR, it's the best choice IMHO.

The more I shoot piston guns, the better I feel about never spending money on such hype. I think that if you are a true professional, who maintains and knows their tools like a true professional, there is no reason to ever "need" a piston AR over a high-quality gas gun.

When asked "what do you guys want when these wear out?", most of us would be happy with Mk 18's/Colt Commando/LMT. Along with lighter weight cans.

Let me know if I missed anything.
    Last edited by Dave L.; 11-18-11 at 01:30.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    The real deal 416's...not the MR556

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCLeonard View Post
    The real deal 416's...not the MR556
    Gotcha, look up ^^^
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's awesome Dave...Just the type of feedback I was looking for.

I actually have a 10.5" copy...but haven't shot it yet as I've been torn between it and LMT's MRP which has been my favorite AR platform for some time now. With the prices these uppers sell for unfired, I thought it was best to think the decision over a good while before blowing it's cherry down-range.

The weight is something I've noticed too...but then again, the MRP's aren't feather-weights either and their weight doesn't bother me much...but every ounce counts after awhile.

Your take on the 416's F/A handling is a good piece of info...as I'm going to be looking for a DIAS soon...and would like to keep things controllable.

Though you stated your primary ammo used, do you feel that the 416 is anymore forgiving in this area...as in going from weaker .223 loads to 5.56 loads?

Thanks again for the info Dave!...Much appreciated!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCLeonard View Post
    Though you stated your primary ammo used, do you feel that the 416 is anymore forgiving in this area...as in going from weaker .223 loads to 5.56 loads?

Thanks again for the info Dave!...Much appreciated!
    No problem.

I have never fired .223 through it. I don't order the ammo, just shoot the piss out of it. I don't even think we have any in the supply chain.

The only ammo we ever had a problem with in our guns was some of the first Mk262 that came out. The bullet was getting bashed back into the case upon hitting the feed ramp coming out of the mag. I think the Mod 1 stuff is fixed but we mainly have M855A1 and the Barnes "Brown Tip" laying around now (besides the green tip).
    Last edited by Dave L.; 11-18-11 at 02:22.

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No problem.

I have never fired .223 through it. I don't order the ammo, just shoot the piss out of it. I don't even think we have any in the supply chain.

The only ammo we ever had a problem with in our guns was some of the first Mk262 that came out. The bullet was getting bashed back into the case upon hitting the feed ramp coming out of the mag. I think the Mod 1 stuff is fixed but we mainly have M855A1 and the Barnes "Brown Tip" laying around now (besides the green tip).
    YOU LUCKY BASTARD

Your correct about the Mod 1 fix...the mod 0 has a non-cannelured 77gr. SMK OTM bullet, whereas the mod 1 has a cannelured 77gr. SMK OTM bullet.

BH's made a number of different types of 5.56 match ammo for DOD over the years, there is some moly coated 5.56 77gr. SMK OTM floating around that was made for the USMC.

Back to Mike's deep fascination with actual military issued rifles

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I have had an HK 416 for the past year.
    I have not had one issue using it mainly because I keep it clean and especially inspect my GI mags frequently. The main ammo it eats is green-tip for training and brown-tip for actual use. No issues with mil-spec ammo. Being a short barrel there is still plenty of muzzle flash with the A2 flash hider and shooting off the ground still kicks up plenty of dust.
    We only have GemTech HALO's currently and they are heavy and heat up quickly and stay hot for a while. Me being a lefty, I still get plenty of hot gas blowing back at me from the ejection port. I can't shoot suppressed without eye-pro.
    Full-auto fire IMHO sucks with this gun. The perceived recoil seems to pound much harder than a gas gun. I ended up ordering a SpringCo "Red" spring to see if it would tame the recoil and it only did slightly.
    Accuracy is adequate. I get about 2-3" groups at 100y with brown tip but some are slightly worse. I have not had a chance to put a magnified optic on it and actually see what it can do; those are just averages using an RDS.
    The gun itself is heavy; I would rather have Mk 18. The gas piston still gets dirty and must be cleaned just like the BCG on a gas gun. When shooting suppressed, the inside of the receiver still gets trashed like any other gas AR.
    I still keep the BCG properly lubed like I would any other AR BCG.
    Parts seem to wear just like any other AR only now you have the piston rods and springs to wear and fail.

Overall it's a good gun. I would never buy one if they became available but if I was forced to use a piston AR, it's the best choice IMHO.

The more I shoot piston guns, the better I feel about never spending money on such hype. I think that if you are a true professional, who maintains and knows their tools like a true professional, there is no reason to ever "need" a piston AR over a high-quality gas gun.

When asked "what do you guys want when these wear out?", most of us would be happy with Mk 18's/Colt Commando/LMT. Along with lighter weight cans.

Let me know if I missed anything.
    Couple of questions brother if you can answer them...

1.) Is there not any ambi controls on your 416, I figure no IWS type stuff, but what about the selector? Somebody needs to send you a BAD-A.S.S. if not I'm curious being a proud Satan hander myself.

2.) Are you running a Eotech, or do you have an aimpoint on it?
    Reason I ask is that every 416 Ive seen in the wild I think had a Eotech on it. Granted I haven't exactly seen shit tons in pics but some nonetheless.

3.) Are you intimately familiar with LMT's MRP piston design and have you ever used one in the past? Reason I ask is because SMGLee did an awesome side by side comparison of the two that addresses things like recoil impulse, accuracy, overall design given they're different, suppressed usage and the tested sound from the two when suppressed, etc.

eta....Mike have you read SMGLee's writeup on the head to head comparison b/t the MRP and the HK416 that is posted here, and on DefenseReview.com? There is also a youtube video breakdown comparing the two that he did as well. Super great read and watch if you haven't done so yet.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26421
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 11-18-11 at 02:52.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    HAHA...Yeah I was just about to comment about how much I wish someone would issue me some Barnes brown tip!

Dave, You ever considered trying out Vltor's A5 buffer system with your 416? Might be able to tame the recoil impulse a little bit more than the red spring.

Well Trident...I certainly have a fascination with the 416...but also the DI MRP platform as well...which I think you can appreciate!

I've just been on a bit of a mission to get rid of all my random shooters and standardize a bit more. The 416 and DI MRP platforms are at the top of my list for this venture...and I'm having a hell of a time deciding which to get behind.

Tons of feedback on the LMT's...just hard to come by good experience on the 416's such as Dave has.
    Last edited by MikeCLeonard; 11-18-11 at 02:49.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I really enjoy always seeing you online and reading your posts Mike, we share very similar tastes but I feel like I have to bust your balls occasionally for straying from the MRP...given I believe your a true MRP'r

SMGLee imho easily writes some of the finest gun/gear reviews that I have read, and I have been reading his reviews for several years now like so many other M4C'rs have. I trust his opinion as being far more open minded and non biased than myself for sure and most others I know on M4C, so I would think that his review on the MRP vs. HK would be true to form. I wish he would update it or do a part 2 now that the MRP piston has been established in the marketplace for several yrs. now. I actually think I will get the 12.5" LMT piston kit once I get the SDN-6 for the 10.5"/16" MRP 300blk options. I believe it might have a valid place in my inventory for suppressed shooting. Plus Buddyhoohaw and Jboy both run them and love them, I very much respect both of their opinions on these matters.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 11-18-11 at 03:09.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast