Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AD Recon scope mount - standard or extended

Feedback Score

AD Recon scope mount - standard or extended

I'd like to start using my 16" mid-length AR as my coyote and bunny rifle, so I'll need to install a scope of course. I've been checking out the optics picture thread on TOS and have noticed that with the majority of scoped rifle pictures, the eyepiece is even/flush with the charging handle. I haven't taken a depth measurement from the tip of my nose to my eyeball, but wouldn't a nose to charging handle stance put your eye too close to the eyepiece for proper eye relief (3 - 3.7 inches on a Leupold MR/T 2.5-8)?

Then I look at this picture below on the Leupold site, and wonder where the nose to charging handle stance is at?

I just want to make sure I get the correct mount, either the standard or the extended.

Advice please.

Also, where can I find the measurements for the two different mounts, so I can verify the distance between rings and placement of rings will allow for proper scope placement and correct eye relief?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Either will work with the MR/T 1.5-5x.

Personally I would get the extended.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Sorry. I know the picture is of the 1.5-5, but I plan on getting the 2.5-8.

Feedback Score

Exclamation

xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-09-09 at 22:20.
    Qui Me Tangit Paenitebit (he who touches me will repent)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PALADIN-hgwt View Post
    I shoot NTCH using an old non-trapdoor M16 stock, and the eye relief spec of this Leupold is 3.7 to 4.5 inches IIRC. You might not want the Recon-X.

Paladin
    Do you think it will place a 3 - 3.7 inch eye relief scope too far forward? How does your ring placement compare to the extended mount? Could you measure how for forward your eyepiece is in comparison to the CH? Could you also give the measurements of your scope? You know, the standard measurements between the turrets and where the bell starts flaring out? Also the overall measurement between bells where the bells start to flare (the overall length of the tube itself)? Length of eyepiece and length of objective? Or...are the specs the same as a current 2x7 (which one?) on their website?

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The 2.5-8x will work in the extended as well.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by royta View Post
    I've been checking out the optics picture thread on TOS and have noticed that with the majority of scoped rifle pictures, the eyepiece is even/flush with the charging handle. I haven't taken a depth measurement from the tip of my nose to my eyeball, but wouldn't a nose to charging handle stance put your eye too close to the eyepiece for proper eye relief (3 - 3.7 inches on a Leupold MR/T 2.5-8)?
    This was always a huge annoyance for me. There are so many retarded set-ups posted over there.

I would just have to laugh when some goofball would post a carbean with a 4-pos stock and some monster scope with the eyepiece behind the charging handle, and in some high scope rings. And they were just as proud as can be over their set up!

I swear in the years I spent over there, I could count the number of pics of of rifles with magnified optics mounted remotely correct on one hand.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    This was always a huge annoyance for me. There are so many retarded set-ups posted over there.

I would just have to laugh when some goofball would post a carbean with a 4-pos stock and some monster scope with the eyepiece behind the charging handle, and in some high scope rings. And they were just as proud as can be over their set up!

I swear in the years I spent over there, I could count the number of pics of of rifles with magnified optics mounted remotely correct on one hand.
    I wish there was a spreadsheet of where the eyepiece should be for different scopes when utilizing NTCH, or at least remotely close to NTCH. I know everybody's face is different, but I've only seen a few people with extra deep eye sockets coupled with extra long noses. I don't want to buy a mount (based on pictures of other setups), then have to pay for shipping to send it back so I can get the other mount.

I'm still a bit uncomfortable mashing my nose to the charging handle, but I'm at least either touching the tip, or within a 1/4 inch. Plus, I don't want any CLP marking up my nose.

How about some pictures of the right setups?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There was some info on some scopes posted here with there various eye reliefs, but I can't remember which thread.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by royta View Post
    Then I look at this picture below on the Leupold site, and wonder where the nose to charging handle stance is at?
    I wouldn't read too much into that promotional pic.

That's looks to be a tactical scope for one. The shooter is kinda bladed off for another.

Your set up will not be like this dude's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast