Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KAC SR15 Impressions so far

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

KAC SR15 Impressions so far

Below is a synopsis of my notes on the gun so far. I hope to followup with more detailed photos as soon as I get some time during daylight hours.

12/12/07 Initial receipt

1. Lighter than it looks
    2. Sling swivel installed on bottom of rail doesn't permit installation of vert grip
    3. Rail panels only snap in at certain locations, limits location of gear
    4. A2 grip may cause issues
    5. GI CH latch may cause issues
    6. LMT stock fits very tight to receiver extension

12/13/07 Initial Zero

1. 110 rounds XM 193 fired.
    A. 80 in Colt 20-round mags, 30 in Pmags
    2. Used Bipod on ARMS mount attached to rail
    3. Zeroed easily on bore-sight
    4. Zeroed with Aimpoint ML2 in ADM Cantilever and Compact ACOG 1.5x in LT mount @ 50 yards
    5. 2-Stage trigger very impressive with no creep after takeup

12/14/07 TD-1 (EAG 3-Day Carbine)

1. First drill had two failure-to-feed attributable to Pmag w/ crossed rounds
    2. Zero held from bipod to mag as monopod
    3. No other failure
    4. 210 rounds XM193 fired (320 total)
    5. Confirmed A2 grip bruises right social finger
    6. Cut on left booger-picker due to GI CH latch & screws on rear sight

12/15/07 TD-2

1. No malfuntions
    2. 420 rounds XM193 fired (740 total)
    3. Found that Pmags do not drop free from lower on speed reloads

12/16/07 TD-3

1. Two Failure-to-feed on last drill of day
    A. Rifle failed to chamber first round from the mag when using bolt catch to drop bolt
    2. 420 rounds XM193 fired (1160 total)

Pictures so far

side-by-side with Noveske N4

doing dryfire transition drills

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Rob,

Nice review. Any chance you could get weights of the Noveske and the KAC as show in the side by side pic?

What are your thoughts on the N4 vs SR15 (ie. pros and cons of each rifle)?

S/F,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    rob_s,

I've got a KAC carbine that I've been playing around with for a little while, and its a nicely laid out weapon. One of these days when I've got fewer projects going on, I'll sit down and document everything with pictures.

Keep us posted with how things progress for you.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The Noveske belongs to another student in the class and I can't weigh it. I haven't gotten the KAC on a scale yet, but I will.

Feedback Score
    I'm surprised that you hadn't weighed her yet. I know weight has been pretty important to you for the last couple of years. It will be interesting to see the numbers.

What was your cleaning/lubing schedule during the class? Was your SR15 competitively priced? I look forward to additions to your review as round count grows. Competition in this industry is a good thing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just simply haven't had the time to weigh it yet. I want to do a comparative weight with my primary carbine, which means I need to get them both in comparatively identical dress. Totally subjectively it didn't weigh as much as it appeared to at first glance.

As to price, I didn't buy this one. It's a T&E loaner from KAC that I have to give back eventually. It's not exactly a pre-production gun but it's not exactly refined enough to be a production gun. Retail, according to Trey Knight, is expected to be in the $2k range.

I haven't cleaned the gun at all yet, and the only lube applied was prior to each range session. I will most likely be giving it a good polishing next week to get some detail photos of the proprietary bolt and receiver extension.

Feedback Score
    That's a pretty minimalist lube sched for that particular EAG course, at least if it was at all dusty/hot/humid...All things considered, that isn't a high failure rate for a piece that hasn't been "gone through" Then again, at $2K, it should just plain run. It will be interesting to see what shapes up...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I cant wait to get one.

As for the PMag issue - if it continues with production guns - I think I'd just give them a light once over with a piece of 600grit sandpaper.

Thanks for the insight Rob
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looking forward to KAC rifles leaving the realm of the unicorn and joining the rest of us in a place where they can actually be purchased and owned.

Great write up Rob....thanks.
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Feedback Score
    Waiting on these E3s to come out has definitely been killing me. Last word from Lawmen's was not too much longer now but that was a few months ago. Has anyone heard anything more concrete? I'm starting to see lots of lowner E3 pics pop up all over the web...can't be too long now.

EDIT - Sorry guys...just saw the E3 thread...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast