Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extractor/Jamming issues

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Extractor/Jamming issues

Hello guys, need your help with some jamming issues on my AR15. It is a 16in Carbine with Spikes lower and Rguns upper.

My first range trip a month ago was fine, shot about 100rds to test it out and no issues. 2nd and 3rd range trip (today) I've had some issues with not ejecting the empty cartridges.

On my 2nd trip apparently the spring on the extractor fell out (dunno how); I always field strip and clean down to the extractor after each range session. So on that range trip it would not extract the empty cartridge after every shot. RO helped me figure this out so a extractor is on order.

Today (3rd range visit) I went to the range and borrowed my roomate's BCG (Spikes) to use on my AR because I want to sight in my new scope. First mag shoots without any problems, shooting 1rd every 2seconds. The second mag I do a bit of rapid fire and around 25rds it fails to extract the empty cartridge with another round trying to load.

What could be the issue? I am using P-mags and my friend's Bolt carrier group, and the rifle is lubed. Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Are your mags marked so that you can tell if it happens with the same mag?

How many rounds through it? Sounds pretty new so not sure why you've been stripping all the way down to removing the extractor....are you sure haven't damaged it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Are your mags marked so that you can tell if it happens with the same mag?

How many rounds through it? Sounds pretty new so not sure why you've been stripping all the way down to removing the extractor....are you sure haven't damaged it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Mags are not marked. I only have 3Mags right now, all P-mags. Pretty sure its not a mag issue.

About 200rds in it now. It is not new; I bought it off a guy on one of the local forums.

I always field strip it all the way down, but I was adviced just to leave the bolt so I will do that next time.
    Last edited by JusticeM4; 02-13-12 at 19:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had an issue with a 450 Bushmaster. Case wouldn't eject and was jamming the gun. Turns out the extract or was a hair too tight. I diagnosed it by simply hooking a case rim under the extractor. I expected the case to release from the extractor with little or no resistance. Mine didn't. The extractor kind of grabbed the case. My solution was to mix up some abrasive powder with grease and apply it to the inside of the rim of a case and rotate it under the extractor. It didn't take long, a couple of minutes of this treatment to fix the problem. Strangely, the problem didn't appear immediately when the gun was new, it appeared after about 100 shots. If you don't have any abrasive powder you might try a steel case with a little oil and see if that works.

I don't know that you need to take the extractor off every time you clean a 5.56. I do so every time I shoot my 5.45 which is a LOT dirtier than any 5.56 I have ever seen. I have a couple of ARs, one DI and one piston, neither have had the extractor off and both have over 5K rounds down the pipe. Maybe I ought to clean under the extractor but so far, no problem.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 02-13-12 at 20:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Magazines won't cause failure to extract.

1. What kind of ammo are you using? Steel case sometimes causes problems in some guns. Lacquered ones can glue up your chamber; plus steel doesn't obturate the bore completely, allowing powder dookie to get between the case and the chamber walls.

2. Slightly rough chamber from the factory? Smith could polish her up.

3. Replace the extractor and use the Bravo Company spring, which some people claim is better than most factory springs.

N.B.: don't overclean. Every couple thousand rounds, give your gun a bit of a scrubbing. Just keep adding lube generously.
    Last edited by Univibe; 02-13-12 at 22:12.

Feedback Score
    Chambered in .223 or 5.56? Make sure you have the right ammo as mentioned above. Try a chamber reamer from Ned Christiansen.
    "You get more with a kind word and a gun, than a gun alone"- Al Capone

"By the way, it's inches that I'm giving you..."
    - Roman

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    EDIT - My first thought was to start with the easiest of problems to fix and work up from there, but after a couple other posts, the chamber may very well be the issue here.

I've never heard anything about the company, so I'm basing this on others opinions.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 02-14-12 at 11:39.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    R-Guns uppers are crap for the most part and they are known to have tight chambers. My guess is that the chamber is tight is this is causing the failure to extract issue.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Good to know, I don't think I've even heard of R Guns before...
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    R-Guns uppers are crap for the most part and they are known to have tight chambers. My guess is that the chamber is tight is this is causing the failure to extract issue.
    That's what I've heard too about Rguns. And very poor CS, i.e. guns that took six months to be returned after repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Univibe View Post
    ... Replace the extractor and use the Bravo Company spring, which some people claim is better than most factory springs...
    JusticeM4, this would be a good thing to try, especially before chancing sending your gun back to Rguns! My Daniel Defense upper very rarely would fail to extract but it was a big problem when it happened. I replaced the extractor with the BCM kit and haven't experienced the issue since. I suppose you could also try the Crane O-ring, though I don't myself.
    US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast