PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on my first handgun

Kfgk14
02-24-12, 14:05
I've been fighting myself over what handgun to get for a long time. I need something light enough for daily carry, big enough to hold at least 15 rounds flush-fitting magazines, in 9mm, ambidextrous or at least convertible to left-hand use, with aftermarket support (holsters, belt-mounted kydex mag pouches, threaded barrels, night sights, etc.), and with a good history of reliability. My studies revealed the M&P as well as the FNX. The FNX is lighter, but it appears that aftermarket support for the M&P is greater. Also, the FNX has ambidextrous magazine releases and an external hammer, which I like. The M&P doesn't have an external hammer, and has a reversible magazine release.

So, I'm stuck. Owners of these two handguns, or anyone who has shot both of them, help me out.

J_Dub_503
02-24-12, 14:28
Get a Glock 19, it's everything you said you want.

chewie
02-24-12, 14:36

agreed...great gun

Talon167
02-24-12, 15:00
ambidextrous or at least convertible to left-hand use, .

Can't do above with the G19. Gen 4s have the ambi switchable mag release, but not slide release.

Look at the P30.

F-Trooper05
02-24-12, 15:29
Have you looked at the P30 and PPQ?

globeguy
02-24-12, 15:31
Have you looked at the P30 and PPQ?

PPQ is a great choice, but it fails the aftermarket support at the moment. I'm sure accessories will follow for this gun in the near future.

Gutshot John
02-24-12, 15:53
nevermind

jjb5730
02-24-12, 15:56
I own both a FS M&P40 and an M&P 40c..(not 9mm but identical frame) and previously owned a Glock 23 and 27, and have shot nearly every make and model of glock from 9mm, 40, 357, and 10mm...I switched to the M&P because it fit my hand better and I shot better with it. I have put nearly 3000 rds through the FS and approaching 1000 rds through the compact and have not had a single malfunction on either. Of all the Glocks I've shot the only malfunctions I ever had were 2 FTE on my gen4 27. My EDC is the 40c in an MTAC IWB holster and I forget its there. I dont have any experience with the FNX, but love my M&Ps. My opinion FWIW.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

drck1000
02-24-12, 15:57
PPQ is a great choice, but it fails the aftermarket support at the moment. I'm sure accessories will follow for this gun in the near future.

I've been looking into the PPQ lately as well. I currently have a USP 40c and a G17 and I like that Glock accessories (holsters, mag pouches, etc.) and parts (mags, match barrels) are readily available. I did some searching and the PPQ mags are going for anywhere from $45-50+ and not many places carry them. That puts them about on par with the availability of the mags and accessories for my HK.

I'm mainly interested in the PPQ from reviews on here and from a few Youtube videos. Seems like it's a solid, solid pistol.

The pistol hasn't been out that long and one can only hope that the accessories and mags becomes more readily available at a good price. But since they would be a competitor for S&W's M&P line, who knows how that will play out.

Beat Trash
02-24-12, 16:27
Is the aftermarket support for the FNX that much better than for the PPQ?

With your requirements, I'd look hard at the M&P, the Glock 19, and the P30.

romanowe
02-24-12, 17:14
Has there been enough positive development with the gen 4 19's or are you all recommending the early production gen 3's?

jjb5730
02-24-12, 17:31
All the new ones with parts revisions are supposed to be good, but my cousin has one that was manufactured on 1/12/12 and had to replace the extractor already. I had extractor issues on my gen 4 27 but that was in the first 100 rds. I put another 200 through it without a hitch before I sold it.

jjb5730
02-24-12, 17:33
I'm not a glock fan, I have completely moved to M&P, but the gen3 19 is probably the best semi-auto polymer handgun to rely on.

DanjojoUSMC
02-24-12, 18:17
I would say get an HK if you can afford one, used or new - don't worry about Gen this or that, Apex parts, etc.

M&P's in particular have a very mixed story since their launch and peculiar rise to popularity, small influential pockets making them out to be as though they are the equal of better designs.

zibby43
02-24-12, 18:47
I would say get an HK if you can afford one, used or new - don't worry about Gen this or that, Apex parts, etc.

M&P's in particular have a very mixed story since their launch and peculiar rise to popularity, small influential pockets making them out to be as though they are the equal of better designs.

I agree with that sentiment regarding the M&P. I fell for the hype and purchased a M&P 9 FS and it felt great in the hand, but I had to send it back to S&W to have the barrel and striker assembly replaced after being hit with a barrage of light strikes and FTFs out of the box.

The funny thing is that during that first malfunction-plagued session, I was shooting like crap at 15 yards and thought I was having a bad day. When I got the gun back with a new barrel, it grouped as well as my G26. Weird.

Never was a fan of the takedown lever either. It worked awkwardly and did not come close to matching the quality and ease of operation of my Sig 229.

jjb5730
02-24-12, 18:52
I agree...if I were not married with 2 young children and bills, I would go with HK. But I have two M&Ps for the price of one HK. I haven't had a single issue with either of mine, although I do have the 40S&W not 9mm. (Edit: I keep consistent 2" to 2.5" groups) I am fond of my M&Ps over the Glocks I've owned and shot. That being said, I agree if you can afford it, the P30 is an awesome firearm with great ergonomics and reliability.