PDA

View Full Version : New ambidextrous charging handle

JfreemanL
02-24-12, 14:15
I haven't seen anything posted on this new charging handle, ideal for lefthanders but also great for righties. Mech Armor Defense, http://www.mechdefense.com/, has a unique charging handle that is larger than most, making it easier to grasp by either hand. It is a simple design so should be pretty bullet proof. I just received mine and it functions perfectly and appears to be just what I needed as a lefty. A good review can be found at: http://www.romeotangobravo.net/2011/11/mec...e-tacops-1.html. I am really impressed with this company and their price direct is the cheapest available, $87.95 plus $9.00 shipping.

I like the large "ears" on the handle, less parts to go wrong and easier to use if you have mounted a scope that extends over the buis. The Badger Ordnance charging handle is nice but not as strong, and not as easy to use from both sides. It also has more parts to break or malfunction.

xbmxracerx
02-24-12, 15:02
Or these......

http://www.parabellumarmament.com/pasitev2/ambi.htm

Todd00000
02-24-12, 15:06
Hmm....I've used my right and left hand on the stock charging handle; it's not like you can maintain cheek weld and use your right hand to charge it. Edit: Tacops maintains cheek weld but with a large scope set way back.

JfreemanL
02-24-12, 16:22
The Parabellum Armament series of charging handles are interesting and I evaluated them before selecting the TacOps-1. Both the ADF and ADO models have too many springs, pins and camming parts for me. Too much opportunity for something to go wrong and probably more easily jammed up in a dirty environment. The URL model was very interesting but in the end I wanted a larger handle to grab and thus avoilding the forward assist and any scope that may extend backwards over the charging handle.

We all have our specific requirements. Mine were met with the TacOps-1. There are a lot of good alternatives out there.

BlackWidow
02-24-12, 22:27
Or these......

http://www.parabellumarmament.com/pasitev2/ambi.htm

I friggin love the CH from Parabellum! :D

An Undocumented Worker
02-24-12, 23:44
Maybe you can help me out here, as I am having difficulty visualizing how using this charging handle with the right hand would be any more efficient than the stock handle. It appears as though you would use your index finger and thumb to use this thing vs using your index and middle finger with the stock handle and the right hand.

For some reason having to depress a button/lever on the back of the handle comes across as being unnatural to me.

I very well may be looking at how to operate this thing all wrong, so if I am, tell me more about it.

Note, refering to the Tacops handle.

JfreemanL
02-25-12, 06:31
For one thing, you would not have to reach over to engage the charging handle as with the standard CH. If you reach over, and many shooters will tilt the rifle toward them to facilitate this, you will sometimes only grab the left side of the handle. This puts stress on the handle which can lead to bending, unless you have a stronger built aftermarket version. As a lefty, with the TacOps-1, I naturally find my right hand thumb going to the part of the lever protruding from the CH rear along with the more normal placement of the index finger. This CH is stronger than a standard one. It does not flex. Because the "ears" on the T-handle stick out more, they are much easier to locate and use without having to look. And you don't get hung up on the forward assist. If you are a righty, you will most likely pull the charging handle back as normal but could also extend your thumb to the middle part of the lever Remember, the lever is one piece with two places to push on it. There is only on spring, one pin and one lever. Simple.

Casull
02-25-12, 06:55
I'm a lefty.

I use a BCM Mod. 4

This is subject to change, but so far I'm not into the thumb unlocked charging handles. I think it's worth a try, though.

Going onto the topic of the handles in-general,
I do think there's a place for left handed charging handles, the only problem I ever have encountered with them, however, is that the forward assist likes to get in the way of how I manipulate it. That's where the uppers with no forward assist can shine, especially in competition.

I would not mind having the latch on both sides since I'd like it to go back no matter what side I grab it from. That to me seems to be the more realistic reason I'd want an ambi charging handle.

Although I may be a lefty, I shoot "weakside" easily. So having the latch only on the right is okay, especially if it's an extended latch. Ether way, I'm satisfied with what I've got running so far. I'll try an ambi when I slap another rifle together perhaps.

Todd00000
02-25-12, 07:50
The Parabellum Armament series of charging handles are interesting and I evaluated them before selecting the TacOps-1. Both the ADF and ADO models have too many springs, pins and camming parts for me. Too much opportunity for something to go wrong and probably more easily jammed up in a dirty environment. The URL model was very interesting but in the end I wanted a larger handle to grab and thus avoilding the forward assist and any scope that may extend backwards over the charging handle.

We all have our specific requirements. Mine were met with the TacOps-1. There are a lot of good alternatives out there.Now that we are talking about scopes over the CH I agree that large ears are a plus, still not sold that ambi is needed.

I friggin love the CH from Parabellum! :D
I do not like that open bottom design, that invites a place for mud to hide.

Tactical Joke
02-25-12, 13:30
I do not like that open bottom design, that invites a place for mud to hide.

Look through those photos again. I believe the photo showing the mechanism is a cutaway version. On "exposed" photo, notice the bottom ear that you can see in the top views is MIA. For example, take a look at the photo with the handle mounted to the rifle wearing the ACOG. You can see that the latch sits between two ears, not just one.

Todd00000
02-25-12, 13:37
Look through those photos again. I believe the photo showing the mechanism is a cutaway version. On "exposed" photo, notice the bottom ear that you can see in the top views is MIA. For example, take a look at the photo with the handle mounted to the rifle wearing the ACOG. You can see that the latch sits between two ears, not just one.

Yes I see the plate in the pic now, still a complicated piece.

JfreemanL
02-25-12, 15:00
OK, so I started this thread to let you all know about the Tac-Ops-1 charging handle and why I like it, since I hadn’t seen anything on the various forums.

A little background I failed to give at first: I am a lefty but can use either eye for sighting. I own a Stag 2TL that I have added a Norgon Ambi-catch, a Tac-Ops-1 charging handle. A surefire weapon light in a Vltor SM-OCG mount on the left rail, a magpul Moe trigger guard, a Magpul Moe + pistol grip, a Gear Sector 2P sling attached to a rail mounted QD swivel and a MI #30 heavy duty QD rear sling mount, a LaRue Tactical F.G.G forward universal grip. I have an Aimpoint Pro optic with absolute co-witness. And I run Pmags (both 20’s and 30’s). The only thing I might add is a Magpul STR stock but still evaluating whether I want/need to.

As one can see from the posted replies, there are a lot of opinions as to what is the best CH. This is an individual decision based on ergonomics (fit and function). What works for one person may not for another. There are a lot of choices out there beyond the standard CH which is most easily operated by the left hand. But of course right handed CH’s can be operated by both hands—it just depends which are easiest to do, especially under duress.

I am listing the charging handles that I am aware of in no particular order (some are new, some are ambidextrous and some are old hat).

1. Badger left hand latch added (ambi)
2. Badger right hand latch
3. BCM, medium and large latch
4. Gas Buster
5. SOG with Tactical Latch
6. Tac-Latch USA
7. ACLM (ambi(
8. TacOps-1 (ambi)
9. Troy Ambi
10. LWRC Ambi
11. Parabellum Armament URL and ADF small and large latch models (ambi)

I hope this listing helps those still trying to evaluate charging Handles. None are perfect but all offer something for someone.

Todd00000
02-25-12, 15:12
the standard CH which is most easily operated by the left hand. .

I've always used my right hand to operate the CH, and it is very easy to do so. The way I was trained when I get a double feed, I tilt the M16 to the right to observe the chamber, then bring my right hand to the CH while my left falls to the mag in case it needs to be manipulated.

I think a large scope is the main reason for a large eared CH ambi or not.

Preach
01-08-13, 14:50
I just found out yesterday (and I apologize if this is common knowledge) that BCM came out with an Ambi Charging Handle, Mod A44. Just came out January 2013. I bought one and its in the mail, has anyone else seen or used one of these yet. I have a regular Mod 4 which I have really liked, was just gonna buy another one, but saw this and got impulsive. About $25 more than the regular, but can't seem to find any Magazines anywhere to waste money on.

Lawnchair 04
01-08-13, 17:17
I saw the same thing on bcm's website and being a lefty I couldn't hold back. Right now my rifle has a axts raptor ch which I like but I'm always willing to try new gear.

Preach
01-08-13, 18:20
I saw the same thing on bcm's website and being a lefty I couldn't hold back. Right now my rifle has a axts raptor ch which I like but I'm always willing to try new gear.

I'm a righty but I like to take my dad out shooting with me when we can and he's the lefty of the family. I have a raptor too which I really like. This one was probably, like I said before, more of an impulse buy. Can't wait to get my hands on this though.

Lawnchair 04
01-08-13, 18:25
Impulsive? Absolutely. I went to bcm to get an m16 rifle stock sling adapter thingy only to find out I had to order 69$ of stuff or more to get my order accepted (upcoming deployment) that's when i stumbled on the new ch. we'll see how it goes. Both the raptor and the new bcm will get thrown in my go bag.

Mr. Happy
02-28-13, 20:00
Raptor vs BCM Ambi - which one is smoother in one-handed operation by a fellow lefty??

mikeith
02-28-13, 22:48
I have both and they are both just as effective. Ill have to look but I THINK that the BCM has a slighty taller cup which helps keep some gas out of your face. Ill get a picture of the two side by side in the morning for your comparison

Army Chief
03-01-13, 10:24
I've tried many of the models discussed here, but the Raptor from Rainier Arms (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3172) represents best in class to me.

AC

thehun
03-01-13, 20:31
Raptor is the best...especially for lefties...BCM is good too...cant go wrong with either...I liked how large the handles are...makes it effortless