PDA

View Full Version : Do Horizontal Shoulder Holsters Violate Safety Rules....?

SteyrAUG
02-24-12, 16:56
Speaking of course about the horizontal kind that basically orient the bore behind you where in the course of going about your daily business you frequently point the gun at things "you aren't willing to destroy" (including other people).

Now of course it isn't in your hand while during this time and most guns can't magically discharge while secured in a holster but I know I don't want to sit behind anyone who has one.

There is of course a brief safety consideration during the draw where the firearm is in hand and may be inadvertently pointed at (swept) things or people you don't intend to shoot but I'm mostly just asking about the carry method itself.

Just curious what everything thinks.

William B.
02-24-12, 17:14
guns can't magically discharge while secured in a holster but I know I don't want to sit behind anyone who has one.

This. Although I wouldn't necessarily want to be next to a stranger on a public range who was using one.

Also, what about firing from the prone while your secondary firearm is holstered around 4:00? That could potentially sweep a lot of people. I do realize, though, that a hip holster does not constantly put your firearm in a position where it will inevitably sweep people on a regular basis.

PdxMotoxer
02-24-12, 17:29
I briefly thought about one for when motorcycle riding but
then i tried one on and realized why the only place you see
those is on T.V. shows and movies. :laugh:

I mean some may like and enjoy them it's just i didn't, so not owning one I've really never thought about it.

BUT on that topic...
I do put my LCP in my smart carry when i jog or wear sweats
and that's pointed at my junk!! :eek:
If that shows how much i trust the long hard pull of the trigger. ;)

DeltaSierra
02-25-12, 01:58
I have used a horizontal shoulder holster quite a bit.

I'm not the least bit worried about the direction of the muzzle while the weapon is holstered, as it isn't going to magically go off by itself.

a0cake
02-25-12, 09:04
IMO they're of limited utility. I can't think of a reason to use one for my purposes, but I don't think they're a huge safety hazzard. An interesting note here is that they are now banned in the Army for safety reasons.

Dano5326
02-25-12, 09:17
Yes, they are unsafe, slow, show inconsistent presentation, poor retention and otherwise indicative of an assclown.

Notorious for exceptionally unsafe ND's. An associate of mine has a .45 caliber crease in skull due to some tool with a star on his collar insisting his PSD use these.

DeltaSierra
02-25-12, 10:23
...and otherwise indicative of an assclown.

When I was using a horizontal holster, I did so simply because it did not work for me to have a holster on my belt. For my uses, I found the shoulder holster to be my best option in my particular situation. I might be missing something, but I fail to see how that would make me an "assclown."

The_War_Wagon
02-25-12, 10:40
If it's good ENOUGH for Sonny Crockett... :cool:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-26rubDdPGjA/TmFIi8W0kvI/AAAAAAAAAGU/j7KG52R3pSw/s1600/don-johnson-as-sonny-crockett-holding-a-bren-ten.jpg

SteyrAUG
02-25-12, 12:23
Yes, they are unsafe, slow, show inconsistent presentation, poor retention and otherwise indicative of an assclown.

Alright...you are talking about Harry Callahan now.

:sarcastic:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg826/scaled.php?server=826&filename=theenforcer1976004.jpg&res=medium