PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions for a single stack 9mm

ruchik
02-24-12, 19:35
I'm having a small problem here. I have tiny hands (I wear men's extra small gloves), and I am looking for a single stack 9mm that I can use not only for carry but also for home defense, the apocalypse, you name it. Ideally it would be something along the lines of an M&P's durability, reliability, and size (I already have one), but I'm looking for something slimmer. The M&P is great, but I'm still reaching for the trigger using a proper grip. There are only three guns that come to mind. A CCO-sized 1911, which in 9mm tends to be pretty damned expensive (not to mention there are very few of those floating around); a P239, which I can't properly manipulate in DA due to short fingers; and a Kahr TP9/P9/K9, which isn't really intended for more beyond concealed carry. Am I missing any others? I don't mind if the gun is a bit larger as I carry it around in my man purse.

F-Trooper05
02-24-12, 19:47
HK P7
Walther PPS
S&W 4906
SIG P225

Also, have you tried a P30 or PPQ with small backstraps? If neither of those fit you, you may have some serious problems...

Hmac
02-24-12, 19:55
My wife finds the Walther PPS single-stack grip to work really well. My hands aren't overly large either and the PPS works well for me too. I really like that gun as a concealed carry pistol.

DanjojoUSMC
02-24-12, 19:59
Consider the HK's and CZ's that allow cocked and locked

luvmy40
02-24-12, 20:03
I have the Walther PPS, The Taurus PT709 and the Bersa BP9CC.

I would recommend any of them with out qualification.

The Taurus is the smallest of the three and the Walther the largest both physically and monetarily. The Bersa falls in the middle size wise and price wise.

All have good triggers though all 3 are very different. My personal favorite would be the PPS with the Bersa pulling a close second. Though if your hands are really small the Taurus may be your pidgin.

The Beretta Nano is getting some good reviews also, though I have not been able to find one to handle yet.

crusader377
02-24-12, 20:26
I would look at either a Walther PPS or S&W 3913/3953. I recently picked up the 3953 and it is a great pistol.

LMT42
02-24-12, 20:28
The M&P is great, but I'm still reaching for the trigger using a proper grip.

Have you tried an M&P using the smallest grip insert? In addition to the pistols already listed, check out Kahr's lineup.

caddishatch
02-24-12, 20:34
Walther PPS is the only way to go. This will be my next purchase.

ruchik
02-24-12, 20:39
-Yup, my M&P has the smallest insert in it with an Apex trigger. Centered in my wrist, still a bit of a reach, believe it or not.

-Also have a CZ. Very nice and thin, but my finger is still not long enough to squarely place the pad of my finger on the trigger.

-Had a P225. DA does not work for me. Period. My trigger finger is just too short to reach, let alone get leverage, on a DA trigger pull. Not a software problem, it's a hardware problem.

-Tried the P30. Not really a fan of the slack in the trigger in SA mode. Have not tried a PPQ yet as no dealer around me has one (I'm in California, not CA-approved). If it's anything like the P99 though, I know I'm going to be reaching for that trigger again.

-I took a good hard look at the PPS, even fondled one, but I kept taking in a bit of my palm into the magwell while reloading due to the two finger grip.

-I'm really starting to think Kahr may be the way to go. I feel totally comfortable holding it and shooting it, but I'm still somewhat hesitant about using it as a primary weapon. They're very tightly built; sure I'm not crawling through mud, sand, blood, and stacked bodies in Assghanistan somewhere, but it's entirely possible I might drop the gun into a puddle or some dirt whilst drawing, and discovering then that the gun won't work. I did see the 2000 round challenge in the Kahr thread and was encouraged, but I haven't seen any reviews or tests of how the gun fares when it's dirty with sand or mud or the like. Any thoughts on this?

C4IGrant
02-24-12, 20:48
HK P7
Walther PPS
S&W 4906
SIG P225

Also, have you tried a P30 or PPQ with small backstraps? If neither of those fit you, you may have some serious problems...

Excellent choices (have all of these myself).

C4

LMT42
02-24-12, 20:50
--I'm really starting to think Kahr may be the way to go. I feel totally comfortable holding it and shooting it, but I'm still somewhat hesitant about using it as a primary weapon. They're very tightly built; sure I'm not crawling through mud, sand, blood, and stacked bodies in Assghanistan somewhere, but it's entirely possible I might drop the gun into a puddle or some dirt whilst drawing, and discovering then that the gun won't work. I did see the 2000 round challenge in the Kahr thread and was encouraged, but I haven't seen any reviews or tests of how the gun fares when it's dirty with sand or mud or the like. Any thoughts on this?

I think it's a valid concern. Kahrs, and their magazines, are notoriously temperamental. I wouldn't trust one that had been dropped in the mud/puddle/sand.

Ballistic Agency
02-24-12, 21:09
Have you tried a 1911 with a short trigger and slimline grips?

Arik
02-25-12, 06:50
I have a Kahr CW9 that is my "go to work" gun. I like it a lot. I've had it for about 2 years now and haven't had a problem yet, with any ammo or mags. I shoot it every time I go to the range but depending on why I'm at the range (sighting in new rifle, trying a new gun or new ammo) I might put a few mags through it or several hundred rounds. I would be curious to see how it performs when dirty/muddy. Wait till April and May come around warm enough to shoot outside and wet enough to be muddy but not frozen.

mrosamilia
02-25-12, 07:49
I carry the Sig P-239 and really like how it carries and the way I shoot it "SRT trigger" works great.

awm14hp
02-25-12, 08:08
Lets see I have
SW 3913
sig 225
Kel Tex Pf9
Sold a Sig 239

I know others may not like this but I love the PF9 it works great shoots good and no issues with it yet its my bug

I also carry the 3913 all the time

That being said 99% of the time I can go with G19 so

caddishatch
02-25-12, 08:23
The PPS as far as I am concerned is your best option. Great gun!. It will be my next purchase.

RWK
02-25-12, 09:05
How the hell can you recommend something to someone when you don't even own it yourself?

Walther PPS is the only way to go. This will be my next purchase.

The PPS as far as I am concerned is your best option. Great gun!. It will be my next purchase.

Beat Trash
02-25-12, 09:08
The PPS is good, but if you have issues reloading it, then maybe not for you.

If you can find a S&W 3913 I'd take a hard look. But if your fingers are too short to properly manipulate the DA trigger of a Sig 239, then all of the DA guns might be out. Sig 225 might not be any better for you than a Sig 239 would be.

The S&W 3953 was a DAO and the trigger was farther back than the 3913's trigger was. If you can find one of these, you might try it out.

I own both a M&P full size and a M&P9c. To me, they feel different even with the same size grip inserts installed. You might try handling a M&P9c with the small grip insert installed and see if that works for you.

You can also modify the grip inserts and make them slightly smaller. If you screw it up, they're cheap to replace.

I'd also try out the P30 and PPQ with the smallest grips installed.

1oldgrunt
02-25-12, 09:24
STI Ranger 2 with short trigger or perhaps a Browning Hi Power ??
I too have smal hands, Love the CZ 75 but can't hit trigger properly but a Hi Power works just fine as would a mod'd 1911. I have 2 Kahrs they are both reliable and supremely accurate, I tire of the Kahr bahing I have several buddies with them and all are happy with them. One of mine has over 2K thru it w/o any malfunctions of any type.
Best of luck in your search.

HKGuns
02-25-12, 09:28
I'd say the P7 would be worth looking at, no controls other than the squeeze cocker and it is a slim grip. You can pick up a police trade-in for a pretty reasonable price.

There are double stack pistols with interchangeable back straps. Not sure if you've tried them out yet, beyond the M&P you already own, based on your original post? The P30 has interchangeable side and back straps which may help.

I also wouldn't rule out the venerable P3AT if you're open to something other than 9mm. -I've shot the PF9 and the muzzle flip of that pistol is beyond obnoxious, so I wouldn't recommend going there were I in your shoes.

caddishatch
02-25-12, 12:58
How the hell can you recommend something to someone when you don't even own it yourself?

Well considering my dad owns two of them and I have spent numerous times at the range with these guns. Its called range time!

Kokopelli
02-25-12, 13:07
Have you looked at the Ruger LC9 and the Beretta Nano? Ron

dookie1481
02-25-12, 13:42
-Yup, my M&P has the smallest insert in it with an Apex trigger. Centered in my wrist, still a bit of a reach, believe it or not.

-Also have a CZ. Very nice and thin, but my finger is still not long enough to squarely place the pad of my finger on the trigger.

-Had a P225. DA does not work for me. Period. My trigger finger is just too short to reach, let alone get leverage, on a DA trigger pull. Not a software problem, it's a hardware problem.

-Tried the P30. Not really a fan of the slack in the trigger in SA mode. Have not tried a PPQ yet as no dealer around me has one (I'm in California, not CA-approved). If it's anything like the P99 though, I know I'm going to be reaching for that trigger again.

-I took a good hard look at the PPS, even fondled one, but I kept taking in a bit of my palm into the magwell while reloading due to the two finger grip.

-I'm really starting to think Kahr may be the way to go. I feel totally comfortable holding it and shooting it, but I'm still somewhat hesitant about using it as a primary weapon. They're very tightly built; sure I'm not crawling through mud, sand, blood, and stacked bodies in Assghanistan somewhere, but it's entirely possible I might drop the gun into a puddle or some dirt whilst drawing, and discovering then that the gun won't work. I did see the 2000 round challenge in the Kahr thread and was encouraged, but I haven't seen any reviews or tests of how the gun fares when it's dirty with sand or mud or the like. Any thoughts on this?

If you are trying to keep the slide perfectly aligned with your forearm (like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ysa50-plo48#t=55s)), you probably won't have much luck. I have had to compromise my grip a little bit because I have small hands also.

Gary1911A1
02-25-12, 13:50

If you want something with a longer grip, but shorter trigger reach than the M&P find a shop that has a Walther PPQ in stock. I think the PPQ is that good and remember when you handle it in a shop if it feels a little to long in the trigger reach there is a smaller grip back strap that will give you a good trigger reach. Like two other posters suggested don't overlook the HK P-7. Magazines are expensive even for the single stack and parts are a problem though.

DanjojoUSMC
02-25-12, 14:00
Don't be afraid to try a PPS if you need to float your pinky on the reloads, I have medium-large hands and I do this with a few pistols. After a while it becomes just as instinctive as keeping a full grip and slamming them in with full-size, service pistols.

My wife has very, very small hands even for a female and she does great with our Bersa 380. On the range it is uber reliable and ridiculously accurate, but I couldn't in good conscience recommend it as an end of days type of pistol. It's better though to have any well-maintained, modern handgun which allows you to comfortably practice on a regular basis and develop high proficiency than to keep chasing rainbows.

For me the best judge if the pistol works with you is after shooting about 50 rounds - see if going at 80% speed or so you can raise from ready position and dump a mag into a small hole at 7 yards while looking over the sights. If it does very good you can work with the compromises that don't gel with you right away.

ruchik
02-25-12, 15:02
I'd really like to take a good hard look at the PPQ, but two things are holding me back:

1. Not CA-approved. I can buy one legally, but it would be sight unseen.

2. I handled a P99 today at the shop. Since by all indications the size of the frame is exactly the same between the P99 and PPQ, I found that the trigger was still a bit of a reach. Sure, the PPQ is more like a P99 in SA mode in terms of reach, but that's still stretching a bit.

I'd love me a CCO-sized 1911 in 9mm as that would be perfect for my size hands, but every single one I found was north of $2000. The P30 is nice, but the slack in the trigger in SA still means I am reaching for the trigger. I may just have to stick with my M&P and learn to compromise slightly on grip. I did, however, check out the XDm, and was suitably impressed with its ergos, even with my tiny hands.

DrMark
02-25-12, 15:45
I love my S&W 3953.

Used ones are plenty available.

Antonius
08-19-12, 00:04
Have you tried the Browning High Power?

My wife has child like hands and wears gloves in your size range. She has no trouble with the gun and CCW is very good with its flat profile and the right holster.

If you are not 100% comfortable with cocked and locked carry look into the SFS system from Cylinder & Slide Shop.

Good luck!

Greg Kulbick
08-19-12, 00:11
Have you tried a Springfield EMP?

pat701
08-19-12, 19:35
Sig P239!!! In 5 months you won't regret you bought it:D

Magic_Salad0892
08-19-12, 20:31
HK P7.