PDA

View Full Version : Hydrodip How To (video)

Heartbreaker
02-25-12, 00:39
My first go at hydrodipping, relatively easy and straightforward as seen in the video. Main lesson learned is pick a pattern that's not too precise and where the base color looks natural in the patter (such as multicam and atacs) if you plan on dipping complex shapes. The cost of the kit is about $120 shipped, so if you only want one thing done it might be better to have it done professionally, but if you want to do a bunch of stuff, do stuff for friends/to sell, or just enjoy a challenge it's worth looking into. Here's the vid- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XQZtH-ueCw

and a pic of my results-
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E0lQf7_bZHI/T0BZAfWJR1I/AAAAAAAAAjo/Ph0d1HMoi7U/s1600/DSCN1274.JPG

Let me know if you like the style of the video, I'm going to do a build from an 80% lower to complete and will video the process, I'm trying for the simplest and to the point video possible, any feedback would be great.

J_Dub_503
02-25-12, 01:23
Very nice, you make it look easy. I may have to try doing a multicam dip on my next AR.

M4Fundi
02-25-12, 06:12
How durable is it?
How can you remove it?

Your video looks great!

Ironman8
02-25-12, 09:15
Haha at first glance I looked at your rifle and thought "What the hell, he hasn't done anything to his AK!" lol...

Nice job man.

GS163
02-25-12, 10:30
Pretty cool, I have some parts done on the interior of my car but have never seen the process done first hand. For the grip and stock, do you have to dip it twice to get each side done? Once the ink starts expanding, it seems you have only a few seconds to get going.

What was the name of the kit you used?

JohnnyC
02-25-12, 12:38
Who's got an ATACS home dipping kit? I feel like that would be easier than krylon in a similar pattern since there's no thought required, just dip.

Heartbreaker
02-25-12, 16:32
How durable is it?
How can you remove it?

Your video looks great!

Supposedly the ink embeds itself in the base coat, so it should be as durable as the base coat itself, whether it be krylon, auto paint, cerakote, etc. it should reflect the durability of that paint. I don't know how the ink responds to different base coats though as I haven't experimented. I put several coats of clear on so it should be well protected. Removing it would be almost impossible on plastic as anything strong enough to strip paint would probably damage the underlying plastic as well. You can paint over it though.

Pretty cool, I have some parts done on the interior of my car but have never seen the process done first hand. For the grip and stock, do you have to dip it twice to get each side done? Once the ink starts expanding, it seems you have only a few seconds to get going.

What was the name of the kit you used?

I dipped one side then rolled it over for the stock, and the grip just did at an angle that allowed the ink to wrap around both sides. If you don't cut the slits in the tape the ink doesn't expand so it's better for a small object like a grip, but may not allow the ink to fully wrap a larger object. Professionals use guides, wouldn't be hard to make them yourself, basically dowels sitting in the water framing the ink, allowing some expansion but not letting the ink run out through corners as it did in my video.

The kit is called "mydipkit," there's a few different sellers, apparently you can buy the raw materials separately and get a much larger quantity for the same price but I didn't look into it

Heartbreaker
02-25-12, 16:39
Who's got an ATACS home dipping kit? I feel like that would be easier than krylon in a similar pattern since there's no thought required, just dip.

Looks like http://twnindustries.com/Films.html is the place to get it

ATACS would be great to dip as it's not too precise a pattern, any missed spots or stretching wouldn't be noticeable. I plan on dipping my G20 frame, might be going with that pattern.