PDA

View Full Version : Crenallated Strike Bezels

Mojo58
12-24-07, 14:35
Has anyone actually used their strike bezels in a defensive or offensive action? I'd really like to hear from those that have taken advantage of this feature. Thanks.

Steve
12-24-07, 20:30
Yes, I have a TDI on my C-3 surefire when they first hit the market beofre they were offered on factory models.

it is very evil item

story goes as follows

I was off duty and at the cabin up north here for a fireworks and fishing weekend a fight broke out on the pier and a woman and her 3 kids were trapped in the scrum. she was carrying 2 of the 3 kids. 3rd was about 6 years of age.

I made my way through(I'm 6'5 300 pounds) the group and got in the middle and sheilded her and took the arm of the 6 year old as i ID myself. one of the fighters turned to me and i gave him a chest thump to to get him back off us.(strong hand) he moved in again by this time i flash and bashed him with the light( light in the eyes then hit him in the fore head with the benzel and racked it down his face. in an icepick grip and shoved off. and moved quickly with her and kids in tow.

Did my AAR in case to cover myself..... 2 days later i saw the guy at the local store getting some triple A lotion for his face. looked like road rash. never knew it was me.

cleaned the TID with bleach and was good to go . also works well for sternum rubs, and concert details etc.... used to fly with it by taking a surefire lens filter and dremeling out the surface area to make it fit, you could never see the teeth on it with it installed.

VooDoo6Actual
12-26-07, 12:58
Nice to hear it works THAT good.

PALADIN-hgwt
12-26-07, 18:58
xxxxx

Leviathan
12-26-07, 20:24
Where did you get your Kubotan?

PALADIN-hgwt
12-29-07, 20:47
xxxxx

Steve
12-29-07, 20:53
Yeah, I used it to successfully tear the crap out of some suits...

Till I switched it with the bezel & tail cap off a scout light I had around. You don't need sharp spots on an impact device, and I don't want somebodies body fluids, via a cut, on me. I assure you, one can create a stunned mullet with a surefire w/o the silly scalloped edges.

yes i wish they came out beofre i had 3 TIDS. on my Lights

Leviathan
12-30-07, 10:16
Thanks for the link!

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
12-31-07, 03:46
My wife actually smashed a bum...I mean "Homeless guy" in a supermarket parking lot in San Diego CA. Guy wouldn't leave her alone while loading her car.

She told him numerous times to get back and leave her alone, (in the meantime pulling her E2D out... he got even more pushy trying to look in her bags and then she torched him, she said he covered his face and then she stuck in a downward motion on top of his head while he was leaning into the trunk for the bags.

She said he yelped and ran holding his head... so never saw the damage... but it deterred...

I drove up and down PB trying to find his ass for days but no luck...:(

Patrick Aherne
12-31-07, 10:49
I have hit people with flashlights, radios, jailkeys, handcuffs, etc. I don't like strike bezels because they cut and body fluids are bad. They also tear the everloving heck out of pockets and stuff. If the situation requires me to stick someone, I will use a knife, not a flashlight.

Hayduke
05-13-09, 13:36
sorry for the necropost but this is what the search fuction found me and those jackoffs on TOS are useless....

for those carrying a SF with the strike bezel, how do you carry it? sheath? pocket?

i've been pocket carrying a 6PD with the upgraded LED kit for a bit now and find it's going to soon start tearing up my pockets and when i drop it in lens facing up it doesn't ride in the pocket as nicely.

also, because i read it in a post above, should i be wary of flying with this light on my person because of the strike bezel?

Palmguy
05-13-09, 14:24
sorry for the necropost but this is what the search fuction found me and those jackoffs on TOS are useless....

for those carrying a SF with the strike bezel, how do you carry it? sheath? pocket?

i've been pocket carrying a 6PD with the upgraded LED kit for a bit now and find it's going to soon start tearing up my pockets and when i drop it in lens facing up it doesn't ride in the pocket as nicely.

also, because i read it in a post above, should i be wary of flying with this light on my person because of the strike bezel?

For awhile I carried my E2DL in the cargo pocket of shorts; didn't take long to eat a hole in any cargo pocket it was carried in. I have a Comp-tac kydex belt holder for it now, works well but I'm high drag/low speed and have never needed to use it as anything but a light.

Chooie
05-13-09, 15:15
I carry either an E2L or E2DL. I switched the tailcap on the E2DL for a regular black clickie (without the shroud), and since it is carried bezel up with the clip, I have had no problems with the teeth tearing up any pants. The spring clip, on the other hand, has shredded the corner of no fewer than two pair each of Woolrich Elite and 5.11 pants. The only thing I have used the teeth on the E2DL for is to break a side window on a car we were cutting up during an extrication class. I have flown with the E2DL, both with and without an F04 beamshaper on the bezel to conceal the teeth - and I also have had zero problems bringing it into the nuclear plants I work at (but then again, it just goes in the pile with my keys and Benchmade, and those never get a second look either).

Jimdo
05-21-09, 20:25
I carry a Solarforce L2 with a Cree R2 LED emitter (300 lumens) that also features a striking bezel. Due to the bezel I carry it in its sheath, that way, I don't have to worry about it cutting through my pockets.
As to the effectiveness of a striking bezel, I can't say from personal experience, but it does stand to clear reason that if enough force was behind it, it could make one helluva weapon if need be. Particularly the "sharper" striking bezels such as the L2s.

mercop
06-06-09, 22:14
IMHO it takes a legit impact weapon and turns it into a edged weapon. This can present some carry issues and may cause people to hesitate to use it.- George

Littlelebowski
06-06-09, 22:46
I've never heard of a flashlight being a safe queen before.

kaiservontexas
06-07-09, 01:03
IMHO it takes a legit impact weapon and turns it into a edged weapon. This can present some carry issues and may cause people to hesitate to use it.- George

I do not own one, which I wanted to say first off.

Anyway, I was thinking about that while reading the thread. What is the rule on these anyway?

I do not keep an impact weapon on my person. I do not even know what Texas law would be in that regard. I keep a knife and gun when permissible. I do have next to me while sleep my D-cell MagLite LED, and I know that would thump somebody really hard. I can see the usefulness of an impact weapon for carry.

ST911
06-07-09, 10:52

Different ways, depending on dress: bezel up, clipped to pocket; bezel down, within pocket slot; horizontally laying in jacket pocket.

Easy and worthwhile mod: Sew a strip of reinforcement material to your pocket, or have new pockets sewn into your pants. Especially if you're wearing dress slacks or other non-utility type clothing prone to accelerated wear.

As always: If you're going to be a dedicated carrier of life support gear, making friends with good tailor or sewing guru is incredibly helpful.

Lots of folks on this site fly regularly with the E2D, and report no problems. It's a flashlight. Where you might have a concern, make it look uninteresting, comingled with other uninteresting things.

I'd not classify it as an "edged weapon" even in a cautionary sense.

Other thought: Even without the crennelated bezel, light bezels will create interesting and demotivating wounds.