PDA

View Full Version : Help with 2nd AR... I'm struggling.

RIDE
02-25-12, 15:54
So I have 1 AR15… *The LMT MRP Piston...*I love it. **Just absolutely flawless operation through thousands upon thousands of rounds.

Please, PLEASE, let's not go down the piston vs DI road.. I am very aware of the arguments. I like the LMT piston because it is so very quick/easy to switch to DI.

I'd like to get a 2nd AR15.. **Your input is greatly appreciated.

I like (love) the MRP upper, and it's benefits… ***It would also be nice to have some interchangeability of parts if I were to have need that.

I'd also like to have the ability (if not a dedicated rifle) to shoot the 300BLK. **I already have a DI BCG, so all I'd need is the barrel, and I'd be good-to-go.

so… *my thoughts…

Option 1: ****(the most expensive route $$$$).. **get ANOTHER LMT MRP Piston Rifle AND the 300BLK MRP barrel. ****so two identical MRP Piston Rifles, so complete parts interchangeability, and the ability to quickly change either rifle to a DI 300BLK and back at any time.

Option 2: **get a LMT DI MRP AND the 300BLK barrel,,, **This would give me the ability to run Piston 5.56 and either DI 5.56 or a DI 300BLK. **Parts interchangeability would be decent, with complete LOWER interchangeability, and and non DI-only or Piston Only parts.

Option 3: **get LMT lower and LMT MRP chassis only Upper (no Barrel).. and get the 300BLK barrel… **same parts compatibility as Option 2, but could only run 5.56 Piston and 300BK DI. *(no "extra Barrel".

Option 4: **(The Least Expensive $$$$) ***Get a different DI AR15 all together… **most likely a Daniel Defense M4v5 and the 300BLK barrel for my LMT… **Similar situation to option 3, but less expensive, and two different rifles.. *one of which non-MRP.

Thoughts??

pruitt0212
02-25-12, 16:09
Option 1: ****(the most expensive route $$$$).. **get ANOTHER LMT MRP Piston Rifle AND the 300BLK MRP barrel. ****so two identical MRP Piston Rifles, so complete parts interchangeability, and the ability to quickly change either rifle to a DI 300BLK and back at any time.

Option 2: **get a LMT DI MRP AND the 300BLK barrel,,, **This would give me the ability to run Piston 5.56 and either DI 5.56 or a DI 300BLK. **Parts interchangeability would be decent, with complete LOWER interchangeability, and and non DI-only or Piston Only parts.

Option 3: **get LMT lower and LMT MRP chassis only Upper (no Barrel).. and get the 300BLK barrel… **same parts compatibility as Option 2, but could only run 5.56 Piston and 300BK DI. *(no "extra Barrel".

Option 4: **(The Least Expensive $$$$) ***Get a different DI AR15 all together… **most likely a Daniel Defense M4v5 and the 300BLK barrel for my LMT… **Similar situation to option 3, but less expensive, and two different rifles.. *one of which non-MRP.

Thoughts??

Personally I would go with option 4, assuming your just dying to add a rifle to your collection. Since you have a MRP already and a DI BCG, get yourself the barrel then your squared away for 300BLK. The Daniel Defense M4V5 is a sweet rifle as well that I am sure you will love. No point in owning two of the same rifle when that rifle was meant to be modular. Honestly, I just think if you went with Options 1,2 or 3 it wouldn't satisfy that need for a new rifle. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

TehLlama
02-25-12, 16:37
Two MRP's (one carbine, one rifle) will meet any need. They don't need to be piston guns - just run a DI unit.

If I were smarter, I'd have just gotten two MRP complete guns - a rifle length upper and 16" barrel, and a carbine with a 10.5" or 11.5".

There's nothing wrong with another non-MRP unit, but if you keep at this you'll find yourself owning the second MRP anyway. If you see yourself with three down the road, then I would heavily consider a third very lightweight option (maybe DD V5 LW or V7LW)...

BUT, for now - more MRP in DI is going to be the best return for you, especially if you complete the pair in upper receiver lengths.

loganp0916
02-25-12, 17:36
I agree with this ^^^^

I'd go with a DI mrp. You seem pretty set on it and very happy with your mrp. If not, I'd go option 4.

ALCOAR
02-25-12, 17:37
Great advice TehLlama

I couldn't limit myself to owning just two MRPs, but if I did....

1. MRP rifle length chassis....with the Rock 5R SS 16"/18" option for all things precision, and long range oriented.

2. MRP CQB chassis.....with the Rock 10.5" CL option for anything under 300yds, and for HD/PD. The Rock 10.5" CL barrel is arguably the most impressive MRP barrel imho. No questions asked, my MRP CQB 10.5" is what I protect my home with.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC02174-3-1.jpg

In regards to the new super duper 300blk option....I like my chances with the 10.5"/5.56 and BH's 5.56 50gr. TSX.

TehLlama
02-26-12, 15:12
Realistically, three barrels is the most you should need - those two platforms, and two lowers (one with a slightly heavy stock, and one lighter stock) with two or three optics is all you would need if the weight of the MRP isn't an issue for you.

My do-over-again choice would be a rifle MRP with a 16" barrel, and CQB with a 10.5" barrel; a pair of SF suppressors, two fancy lowers (MagPul, Geissele, DD), an aimpoint micro and a low powered variable.

A 16" is plenty adequate for long range work - Trident has shown that even the SBR length barrels can make hits at extended range. 16" and the right ammo will have plenty of reach, just work with it.
300BLK offers some appealing suppressed SBR options, but to me I don't see the advantage if running 50gr TSX is already on the table - BLK really shines with the supersonic rounds from suppressed SBR's [yes, as odd as that sounds, based on all the data I've seen that's where it really performs well with still reduced sound and flash], but I'd make that caliber a priority only after you're set on a 5.56 utility set.

If for no other reason than cost, the MRP makes sense because you can more feasibly run a high quality in place of two rifles with two compromise optics for price.

RIDE
02-26-12, 17:45
Thanks for all the feedback!

A few questions:

What benefit does the rifle length MRP offer over the CQB length?
Just real estate?

What is the rail length difference?

How much more does the Rifle length weigh?

VIP3R 237
02-26-12, 18:07
Option 1: Get 2 mrp's.

And Hot Damn TRIDENT82, those rifles could be the perfect evolution of the ar platform. Alot of sexiness there.

ALCOAR
02-26-12, 19:57
Thanks VIP3R :)

Thanks for all the feedback!

A few questions:

What benefit does the rifle length MRP offer over the CQB length?
Just real estate? Real estate translates to lots of little things.

What is the rail length difference?
4".....the CQB chassis is 9 3/4", and the Rifle length chassis is 13 3/4"
How much more does the Rifle length weigh? The extra weight of 4" of forged aluminum is rather insignificant in this particular case.

TehLlama
02-26-12, 22:02
The longer MRP upper gives you more room for mounting lights, foregrip/handstop setups, IR devices, and increases the sight radius for irons. Mostly, if you're going to run a bipod, you have room out front.

For most applications where you're run the longer handguard, you won't care about the weight - as Trident is saying. I have two rifles that weigh within a couple ounces of comparably equipped MRPs. The weight difference is going to be about the barrel length and contour, as well as optic size anyway.

RIDE
02-27-12, 12:36
Thanks for all the info and advice! Now I need to find a good price on a rifle length MRP with a 16" SS barrel!

RIDE
02-27-12, 12:36
BTW Trident! Your Pics and MRP's are just awesome!