PDA

View Full Version : Which handguards are lightest?

NavyDavy55
02-25-12, 16:03
Just ordered a BCM Standard 16" Mid Length (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group since they just came back in stock today.:happy:
Putting it on an Aero Precision lower with a Geiselle SSA trigger.

I need the lightest but still good quality handguards with rails but don't need a free float.

It's going to get my EOTech XPS2-0, a Yankee Hill BUIS and a MagPul stock I already own.

This is a CQB rifle.

Not interested in UTG.

Daniels Defense are just too expensive.

I'm looking at the ones below. Any others to consider?

Magpul MOE Handguards - Mid Length
http://www.del-ton.com/Magpul_MOE_Handguards_Mid_Length_p/hg1102.htm

YHM Two Piece 4 Rail Mid-Length Handguards
http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_4_49&products_id=52&zenid=075415485cae102cbc215d3addf4085b

Midwest Industries
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=64

Troy BattleRail Drop In
http://troyind.com/%20/rail-systemsaccessories/rails/ar15m16-rails/drop-in-rails/two-piece-drop-in-rails/troy-battlerail-drop-in-mid-length

Kfgk14
02-25-12, 16:58
AFAIK, the lightest handguard on the market is the Troy TRX extreme. Perhaps my memory is off there, but I think that's the case. So lowering weight would also free float your barrel.
Then again, if you need something simple, just get a Magpul and be done with it.

Shoulderthinggoesup
02-25-12, 17:08
Troy trx extreme is inexpensive, lightweight, and reliable. The troy alpha js also an option (upgraded trx)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

deadlyfire
02-25-12, 18:02
Solid oak handguard milled out from a tree trunk would be lighter than the TRX-E

click this for a spreadsheet of handguard weights.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html

Shoulderthinggoesup
02-25-12, 18:47
I have never even vaguely understood why anyone would want the regular TRX handguard....... Even most quad rails are lighter.

Iraqgunz
02-25-12, 23:45
Moved- this is not a Custom Build topic.

kwelz
02-26-12, 00:46
Solid oak handguard milled out from a tree trunk would be lighter than the TRX

click this for a spreadsheet of handguard weights.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html

I think he meant the TRX-E.

bsmith_shoot
02-26-12, 00:52
Your lightest would be the Magpul MOE, by far. You could get those, and IWC makes most any type mount you might need for lights, slings, etc..... It will be your cheapest also, by far.
Just my .02
Brandon

kwelz
02-26-12, 01:11
Actually if you look at the chart posted above, the MOE guard are pretty heavy.

For instance a 9 inch MOE is about 11.5 OZ. A 9 inch TRX-E rail is only about 8.5oz

bsmith_shoot
02-26-12, 01:16
Never imagined that. Sorry for the mis-information.
Brandon

BCmJUnKie
02-26-12, 01:28
The TRX is hands down the lightest rail I have ever held.

I have been pretty rough on mine.

Only had it for about 5 or 6 months but its holding up pretty good

3 AE
02-26-12, 04:36
Since the weights listed for Magpul handguards are in green columns you have to subtract 2.8 ounces to get the actual net weight of the handguards. This puts the MOE weight for carbine and midlength at @6.5 and 8.7 ounces respectively. They're pretty light and the dollar to weight ratio is darn good.

deadlyfire
02-26-12, 08:18
I think he meant the TRX-E.

edited. thank you for the correction.

mplecha
02-26-12, 09:26
I can't imagine anything being lighter than the MOE. The Centurion C4 on my carbine is light but not even close to the MOE.

seb5
02-26-12, 09:40
A problem with the chart is some options include the barrel nuts and some do not. You just need to ensure you do your homework and get a legit comparison. In my experience the Troy is the lightest tube. The Centurion is close on the full railed guards but is my preference when you look at all the features. FYI when you add a sling attachment, light attachment, etc. to the MOE the weight and price go op in a hurry.

Stickman
02-26-12, 13:08
Just ordered a BCM Standard 16" Mid Length (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group since they just came back in stock today.

I've got loads of handguards to choose from, both light weight FF and non-FF, to me it was still an easy choice.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/Stck_4556-A-1024-Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/IMG_0562-1024-Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/Stck_4557-A-1024-Stick.jpg

Tzook
02-26-12, 13:35
I think the Magpul MOE handguards will probably be the lightest. I do have a Samson EVO, and it is extremely light. You can't go wrong with either one.

WWhunter
02-26-12, 15:30
I have been building these rifles for well over 30 years and I have to second what Stickman posted. To me this combination is the simplest and most cost effective way to build a good rifle for all around use.

J_Dub_503
02-26-12, 15:46
I voted for Troy...more specifically the Troy TRX Extreme. It's cheap, light (lighter than the Magpul's), and it gives the benefits of having a free-float.

deadlyfire
02-26-12, 16:38
A problem with the chart is some options include the barrel nuts and some do not. You just need to ensure you do your homework and get a legit comparison. In my experience the Troy is the lightest tube. The Centurion is close on the full railed guards but is my preference when you look at all the features. FYI when you add a sling attachment, light attachment, etc. to the MOE the weight and price go op in a hurry.

The chart that I referenced was second hand information I've pulled from the countless threads asking this very question.
The chart itself is a definite work in progress but I felt it is still pretty helpful.

NavyDavy55
02-27-12, 05:16
Thanks for all the replies.

I went with the MagPul for now.

Also ordered a Geiselle SSA trigger.

strojo
02-27-12, 21:10
On AR's with delta rings and stock FSB's, I think the Magpul's are the best option for weight, functionality and value. I standardized on them a while ago and haven't looked back.

steelonsteel
02-28-12, 00:08
I love my magpul handguards.

Remember the old school Carbine handguards? they are by and far the lightest I've ever known - of course, they had NO midularity tot ehm,a dn frankly, they sort of sucked... but they were light.

Anyway, I put the magpuls on damn near everything these days.

rob_s
02-28-12, 04:46

Every effort has been made to ensure that the chart is an apples:apples comparison of MOUNTED weights. If you have knowledge that something in it is wrong, please tell me specifically which one and what the correct information is so I can fix it.

rob_s
02-28-12, 04:53
How the hell is a quantifiable number a poll?

Hey guys, which number is higher?
(a) 8
(b) 1
(c) 15
(d) 1,453,982

OP, if you can specify actual models instead of just brands, you can look at the chart link posted and catch your own fish. As you can see, the way you posted your thread/poll led to different answers which is caused by (a) people don't know shit from brown bread and (b) you were too vague in your question.

The MOE is not the lightest MOUNTED handguard on any planet. Additionally, it goes along with a fixed FSB which is surprisingly heavier than most people expect, and an extended rail over a low-profile gas block and some sort of clamp-on front sight will be lighter. Which isn't to say that the MOE is a bad handguard, I have three ARs that wear them. If you don't care about free-floating the barrel I think the MOE is the best choice available.

NavyDavy55
02-28-12, 05:30
How the hell is a quantifiable number a poll?

Hey guys, which number is higher?
(a) 8
(b) 1
(c) 15
(d) 1,453,982

OP, if you can specify actual models instead of just brands, you can look at the chart link posted and catch your own fish. As you can see, the way you posted your thread/poll led to different answers which is caused by (a) people don't know shit from brown bread and (b) you were too vague in your question.

The MOE is not the lightest MOUNTED handguard on any planet. Additionally, it goes along with a fixed FSB which is surprisingly heavier than most people expect, and an extended rail over a low-profile gas block and some sort of clamp-on front sight will be lighter. Which isn't to say that the MOE is a bad handguard, I have three ARs that wear them. If you don't care about free-floating the barrel I think the MOE is the best choice available.

My poll was in regards to the four specific rails I listed in my original post with links.

Seems everyone else understood and provided constructive feedback. Your snobbish sarcasm is not constructive.

Have a nice day.

rob_s
02-28-12, 06:03
My poll was in regards to the four specific rails I listed in my original post with links.

Seems everyone else understood and provided constructive feedback. Your snobbish sarcasm is not constructive.

Have a nice day.

I still don't understand how a quantifiable number is a poll, or how people voted for different answers. Isn't lightest a measurable number, with an absolute answer?

bsmith_shoot
02-28-12, 08:52
I still don't understand how a quantifiable number is a poll, or how people voted for different answers. Isn't lightest a measurable number, with an absolute answer?

I want to appologize about my vote and comment. I based my choices here on just the weight of the handguard itself, not taking into account the barrel nut, delta ring, etc....
To the OP, please disregard one vote for the MOE.
Thanks,
Brandon

NavyDavy55
03-01-12, 11:01

Yeah now I see what you're saying.

The idea for the poll was a last minute addition to my post and not very well thought out and poorly executed.

Guess I win the dumbass post of the week award.

I'd like to thank the members of the forum...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: