PDA

View Full Version : Black Rear Sight for Carry

eleven
02-25-12, 16:14

El Cid
02-25-12, 17:24
Like many others, I've found I prefer an all black rear with a dot or gold/brass bead front. For me it's easier to quickly pick up the front without two dots that are closer and brighter in front of my eye. On my duty weapons I'm forced to use trijicon 3 dots, so I use a sharpie on the rear dots.

Any pistol where it's an option my choice is the 10-8 rear. I thought the U notch a gimmick until I shot it. The eye naturally finds the center of a circle and the U provides enough of that circle for me.

As for the front, I believe the brass or gold bead is faster because it's more noticeable in daylight. If the gun will be wearing a white light I believe you can still make excellent use of the head in low light.

HaydenB
02-25-12, 18:02
Take a look at Warren Tactical 2 dots. I have them on my 34 and the dim yellow rear vial has no white outline so it almost disappears in all but the darkest environments. And the the rear sight has rounded corners so that your eye is drawn to the front sight.

ErikL
02-25-12, 18:08
I like Heinie Ledge sights with the solid black rear and tritium in the front. http://www.heinie.com/index.php?cPath=9_11

eleven
02-25-12, 19:20

RCI1911
02-25-12, 19:55
10-8 Performance or Trijicon HD's fit the bill.

Nephrology
02-25-12, 20:04
I have the Hackathorns on all of my Glocks and could not ask for a better combination.

Ballistic Agency
02-25-12, 20:10
The 10-8 U notch is worth a look.

I'm a firm believer in the U notch after getting it on my Wilson. LAV is hot for the U notch too. YMMV

Here's to hoping Wilson makes their Battlesight available for Glocks.

F-Trooper05
02-25-12, 20:15
Redback One's... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=93272

ImBroke
02-25-12, 20:25
Check out the Ameriglo Operators. They don't have white rings around the rear tritium dots and aren't distracting in good light.

eleven
02-25-12, 20:38

GIJew766
02-25-12, 20:48
+1 for the 10-8 U notch rear.

Honor First

H

DanjojoUSMC
02-25-12, 21:09
With the experimenting I've done, I am faster and more accurate with the rear dots blacked out also. Consistent grip and stance take care of the rear sight so you just focus on front sight/target and trigger control.

PRGGodfather
02-25-12, 22:15
+1 for the 10-8 U notch rear.

Honor First

H

Like many, I also prefer the 10-8 Performance .140 U notch with a .215 tall tritium dot.

GIJew766
02-26-12, 00:02
Like many, I also prefer the 10-8 Performance .140 U notch with a .215 tall tritium dot.

Personally, I find I'm quicker with the gold or brass bead up front. Especially in day light. Focus goes right to the shiny. I mean, spending as much time around Marines, I learned to only really need to salute the Shinys...

Honor First

H

Cosmo M3
02-26-12, 00:12
I currently roll with Warren Tactical 1 dot front and blacked out rears on my carry gun (G19 Gen 4). They're very quick, but they're harder to aim with at long range.

JonInWA
02-26-12, 00:23
I've been exceptionally pleased with Warren Tacticals as well; I paint the back face of my front sight with neon/flourescent green for speedier acquisituion. I've recently shot my two most accurate IDPA matches ever with my G34 with this set-up.

Although this probably borders on heretical, I've also done quite well with Glock sights (albeit the Glock steel sights).

Best, Jon

OldGreg
02-26-12, 00:26
Check out the Ameriglo Operators. They don't have white rings around the rear tritium dots and aren't distracting in good light.

I do these, and black sharpie over the rear sights. They look black in daylight, and i can still faintly see the (yellow) dots in the darkness even with the sharpie over them.

eleven
02-26-12, 03:25

R0CKETMAN
02-26-12, 05:41
Ameriglo I-Dot with yellow U rear (which is much dimmer by nature than green tritium)

HKGuns
02-26-12, 09:25
This comes down to the gun and personal preference, I think.

I prefer 3-dot setups on my HK's as you can line them up, put them over the target and shoot.

On my 1911's I prefer a solid black rear because the three dot setup doesn't function the same as on my HK's. (You can't Line up the dots and be accurate, you have to "fill the notch". So, I bought a 10-8 sold black rear and fill the notch with the front sight.

I was instinctively lining up those three dots on my 1911's and wasn't hitting very accurately. Taking the rear dots off helped a LOT.

I happen to not like the dot over dot setup that seems to be popular these days.

HalliganJoel
03-03-12, 17:15

I'm drawn to the 10-8 U Notch rear myself. I've been thinking brass bead up front but I also like Hi-Viz's resin over molded fiber optic up front. I'd like the U notch in back (either size) with the Hi-Viz up front. Does anyone know if this can be done? Otherwise I'll likely roll with the 10-8 brass.

Drew78
03-03-12, 19:54
I have the Hackathorns on all of my Glocks and could not ask for a better combination.

This +1

all black serrated rear with a bright front sight with a Trit vial insert.

They are very fast to aquire.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-03-12, 21:55
Absolutely. All black rear with a dot front is by far the easiest for me to use.

papalapa
03-03-12, 22:12
It's a personal choice but I'm a big fan of plain black rear and either a brass bead, fiber optic, or tritium front. Seeing how the eye can only focus on one thing at a time we've always been taught to focus on the front sight. If my rear sight is going to be blurry I personally prefer to have the front contrast the rear and not blend in with multiple dots. I'm a big fan of 10-8's and Warren Tactical's. I also like the Heinie sights if I had to have a rear dot of some type.

Sheep Dog Tactical
03-03-12, 22:27
I run an orange Ameriglo proglo on the front of my M&P with a 10-8 u notch rear. It is amazing quick to acquire, while still able to be very accurate. Similarly, I run 10-8 brass front with u notch rear on my 1911, so it's a combination I'm used to using.