PDA

View Full Version : New Member and Proud New Owner

OkieOutlaw
02-25-12, 17:55
I have been looking at getting a AR rifle for some time now. After lurking here and on another AR forum for some time I finally decided to take the plunge and buy my first AR since I was in the Nam some 40 years ago. After handling several different brands (DPMS, Bushmaster, Stag, Windham, S&W etc) I looked at a new Colt 6920 LE version at Wally world. Iknow Iknow, I read the rant here on WW selling them now and due to price on a name I could trust not to mention features such as sights not on rifle and not available locally, general fit and feel of the other guns made me decide on the Colt. It came with cleaning kit as well as a spare 20 rd. mag which some others did not. After bringing it home and chggecking for cleanliness I took it out to sight it in. That took me exactly 6 rounds to get it shooting to my style. I must say in the very least I am very very impressed with the quality and accuracy of my new rifle. It can shoot rings around my accurized Mini 14 even after a few hundred bucks of upgrades to it and is on par with my Savage model 11 with a 4x16 scope that can consistantly shoot ragged on hole groups at a hundred yards. If I scope it I am sure I can realize the true accuracy of this little carbine.:dance3: To put it mildly I am happier than a puppy that just realized he has two peckers. I have a new truck gun that ought to put the fear of god into a few of our marauding coyotes and maybe a wild hog or two.

Kokopelli
02-25-12, 18:06
It's a good experience isn't it.. Congrats on the new carbine.. Cheers.. Ron

OkieOutlaw
02-25-12, 18:17
Yes, From the time I first took it from the hands of the clerk it was just like shaking hands with an old and dear long lost friend.

Kokopelli
02-25-12, 18:27
Indeed... I think you bought at a good time as well. I'd stock up on a little ammo as well. Availability seems to be getting spotty and prices higher. Ron

3PantherSmoke
02-25-12, 18:59
Indeed... I think you bought at a good time as well. I'd stock up on a little ammo as well. Availability seems to be getting spotty and prices higher. Ron

+1 on ammo. ammoman.com and ammunitiontogo.com are two of my favorites for online, though you'll want to pay attention to what you're ordering on ammoman. I hear Gander Mountain does some decent deals on ammo, as well. Congrats on your new rifle... now shoot the hell out of it! :D

ucrt
02-25-12, 19:09

Welcome, Okie.

What did you have to give for it?

Did you say it did not have any sights or they just weren't mounted on the gun?

OkieOutlaw
02-25-12, 19:29
I think I have the ammo supply pretty well taken care of. I have around 1500 rounds of loaded ammo already plus I reload my own. I have two thousand small rifle primers courtesy of Cabelas running a special at 24.95 a thousand. I have around 1,000 Rem JSP 55 gr. bullets and probably about the same in 55gr FMJ. I have been at this game awhile with the Mini 14 ranch rifle as well as the little Savage model 11 also in .223. The price was 1,057 and that it already had the standard carry handle sights on it was another deciding factor for me. I just finished installing a Simmons Prostaff 3x9 scope a few minutes ago and will sight it in again tomorrow. I figure with the scope I can really see just what kind of accuracy she is capable of.

Kokopelli
02-25-12, 19:47
I think I have the ammo supply pretty well taken care of. I have around 1500 rounds of loaded ammo already plus I reload my own. I have two thousand small rifle primers courtesy of Cabelas running a special at 24.95 a thousand. I have around 1,000 Rem JSP 55 gr. bullets and probably about the same in 55gr FMJ. I have been at this game awhile with the Mini 14 ranch rifle as well as the little Savage model 11 also in .223. The price was 1,057 and that it already had the standard carry handle sights on it was another deciding factor for me. I just finished installing a Simmons Prostaff 3x9 scope a few minutes ago and will sight it in again tomorrow. I figure with the scope I can really see just what kind of accuracy she is capable of.

You're good to go then.. I ordered a few hundred rounds for $5.50/box before Christmas and should have ordered a lot more. What mount did you use? Ron

OkieOutlaw
02-26-12, 07:18
I had a set of Weaver rings that had originally been on the Model 11 when I purchased it a couple of years ago. I had since replaced the Simmons 3x9 as well as the rings and bases and they were just gathering dust in the safe. I simply removed the carry handle and ended up mounting a Center Point 3x9 and the weaver rings onto the rail mount that was already there. I also had a short 3" clamp on barrel rail that I mounted directly in front of the bayonet lug and put my Glock tactical light/laser on it for night time use. The only thing I don't care for right now is due to eye relief on the scope it makes it difficult to operate the charging handle. I may rethink the scope idea and maybe get a red dot scope and get a few more magazines too. I also remembered about 300 LC 5.56 brass that I had carefully hoarded away that had already been sized and primed, but never used as I didn't have anything chambered for them at the time. I just need to locate some loading data for 5.56 and I can get them loaded up and ready too. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I am sure I will have lots of questions for ya'll in the coming days and months.

Todd00000
02-26-12, 08:15
Doesn't matter where you bought it, no one really cares, you got a great rifle at great price. Welcome.

Todd00000
02-26-12, 08:35

Mike from Texas
02-26-12, 08:42
Congrats on the new rifle!

Did I hear you say you bought it at Wal Mart?!

Sent from iPhone/Tapatalk

Beat Trash
02-26-12, 08:55
Congratulations on making a wise choice for a first gun and welcome to the forum.

The Wal Marts in my area stopped selling guns years ago, with no intention of bringing them back.

SteveS
02-26-12, 09:16
Well you bought the best quality AR so you should be happy.:)

Scoby
02-26-12, 09:47
Congrats

You did well on your first purchase. And welcome to the forum.

OkieOutlaw
02-26-12, 12:13
Well it was a really nice day outside so I thought I would get in a little range time and take a few pics for you guys. The pistol is my daily carry a nice shooting Glock 19. She gets jealous if she ain't included.http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7232/mybabiesi.jpg
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3527/mytoysontherange.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4104/rangetime.jpg

J_Dub_503
02-26-12, 15:25
Congratulations on your purchase, you got a great rifle. Sounds like you're learning fast...you'll love your rifle even more if you get an Aimpoint or Eotech.

May I suggest THIS (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95251) mount for your Glock light, I think you'd like it a million times better. Also, Do you have any plans to upgrade the furniture, maybe a Magpul hand-guard and pistol grip?