PDA

View Full Version : Moon clip conversion?

AR-n-Ky
02-25-12, 20:07
I have a Ruger GP 100, 3" bbl. in .357 Magnum; I like it very much, but I don't think it is all it could be. I have been thinking of a moon clip conversion. I was wondering if any one has ever done this and what do/did you think of it?

Also, is there anyway/one that can install night sights; at least for the front sight? The front sight is installed with a roll pin.

I think that if I did this, it would be one hell of a CCW/field gun. With faster reloads, night sights whats not to like? I just don't want to send it off and have the cylinder cut if it's problematic.

AR-n-Ky

Mikey
02-25-12, 23:25
I have a Smith 586 I had done by TK Custom (http://www.tkcustom.com/). It turned out very nice.

Mike

Wildcat
02-25-12, 23:55
A proper conversion to moon clips (for 38spl) should permit the revolver to be used with or without the clips so there is no real downside to having the job done.

For serious use though, consider that the groove around the base on 38 or 357 brass is slightly different from one brand to another. This means that to get a rigid lock on the ammo, you will need to determine the proper size (thickness and clip inlet diameter) clips to fit your preferred ammunition. Otherwise they flop around and don't offer much of an advantage vs. a Safariland speedloader.

The next issue is that the clips for 38 Special are thin. Enough that they are a bit fragile. The loaded clips need to be protected against being bent if you plan to use them for CCW.

Jake'sDad
02-27-12, 23:13
A proper conversion to moon clips (for 38spl) should permit the revolver to be used with or without the clips so there is no real downside to having the job done.

For serious use though, consider that the groove around the base on 38 or 357 brass is slightly different from one brand to another. This means that to get a rigid lock on the ammo, you will need to determine the proper size (thickness and clip inlet diameter) clips to fit your preferred ammunition. Otherwise they flop around and don't offer much of an advantage vs. a Safariland speedloader.

The next issue is that the clips for 38 Special are thin. Enough that they are a bit fragile. The loaded clips need to be protected against being bent if you plan to use them for CCW.

Nailed it. I have a couple J frames cut for moons, and I'm not sure if it's worth it.