PDA

View Full Version : Glock Gen 4 Questions

ucrt
02-25-12, 22:23

I found a Gen 4 Glock 22 at a local pawn shop and put it on hold until Monday so a buddy can buy it.
It's at a good price and he'll buy it but I was wondering if any of the Gen 4 issues, that I have read about, apply to the .40 Cal?

Are there any concerns with any Gen 4 guns besides the 9mm's?

That's it.

Thanks

Timbonez
02-25-12, 22:42
The Gen 4 problem's seem to be exclusive to the 17 and 19.

F-Trooper05
02-26-12, 00:24
The Gen 4 problem's seem to be exclusive to the 17 and 19.

Uhhh... no. Google "Oakland PD" and "Glock."

Bob
02-26-12, 02:22

?

From: http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/opd-recalls-hundreds-of-recently-issued-guns/nD3sw/

Oakland police officers handed back their recently issued Glock 9mm semi-automatic pistols to the Oakland Police Department Friday afternoon after reports that some of the firearms were defective.
Hundreds of the new guns were given to officers this week to replace older guns earlier this week. KTVU heard a police scanner report at around 2 p.m. of an officer complaining about a problem with his sidearm...

I would presume that those are G19s or G17s?

R0CKETMAN
02-26-12, 05:46
I'm a huge Glock fan, own 10, and I'd pass on the one you have "on hold".

Nephrology
02-26-12, 06:31

Outside of that 1 batch I have not heard of systemic problems with the .40 cals.

packinaglock
02-26-12, 07:03
I have a gen 4 G27 & 23 neither of which have given me any problems.

Alaskapopo
02-26-12, 08:01

I found a Gen 4 Glock 22 at a local pawn shop and put it on hold until Monday so a buddy can buy it.
It's at a good price and he'll buy it but I was wondering if any of the Gen 4 issues, that I have read about, apply to the .40 Cal?

Are there any concerns with any Gen 4 guns besides the 9mm's?

That's it.

Thanks

A friend of mine got a Gen 4 22 and it runs fine. My Gen 4 17 runs fine.
pat

M4arc
02-26-12, 13:35
My Gen4 G22 has been awesome! I haven't had any issues, the recoil is next to nothing and it's laser accurate. I'm far more accurate with my Gen4 G22 than I am with any of my 9mm Glocks.

Robb did replace my trigger housing unit with the new updated ejector so I haven't had any ejection issues either.

The Gen4 G22 is quickly becoming my favorite Glock.

F-Trooper05
02-26-12, 14:17
?

From: http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/opd-recalls-hundreds-of-recently-issued-guns/nD3sw/

I would presume that those are G19s or G17s?

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81471

warpedcamshaft
02-26-12, 14:25
Some Generation 4 .40 caliber Glocks have experienced issues with ejection. The issues often relate to the extractor and/or the ejector

Glock has a newer ejector for the Gen 4 guns in .40. If you experience ejection issues (brass coming straight back in your face hard!), find a way to get that new ejector. Also, make sure your spring is the most current iteration.

My personal recommendation is as follows:

If you want a Glock pistol in .40 cal, the Gen 4 is not a bad way to go. I would expect to see improved durability from the Gen 4 guns compared to the 3rd Gen (40 caliber). Gen 3 40's used the same spring as Gen 3 9mm despite the increased recoil energy. I always felt that this made the recoil seem excessive and would likely be much harder on the locking block. I noticed a tangible difference the first time I tried a Gen 4 40. caliber.

ldunnmobile
02-26-12, 16:01
I have Gen4s. A 19 with new RSA and old 336 ejector. Zero malfunctions. A G26 with old 336 ejector. Zero malfunctions.

Note I only run 147gr. ammo. I have been very pleased.

There are Gen4's out there with problems, but this is "THE INTERNET" where mountains are made from molehills. Other brands of handguns that have as many or more issues than Gen4's don't get anywhere near the flak the Gen4's take. I agree that the issues with the Gen4s should be talked about in order to fix the problems, but to act like Gen4s are the plague is utterly ridiculous.

I suspect that many of the reliability problems of current handguns is not due to the gun, but poorly manufactured ammo. I have seen cheap crap choke up my HK. I think it's pretty crazy to dump 700 bucks into a handgun and then shoot the cheapest junk ammo one can find through it.

ucrt
03-01-12, 11:01

Well, my buddy went ahead and bought the Glock. He paid $400 out the door for it, that's about $365 before taxes plus it had the box, two mags and the normal paraphernalia.
The pistol looked like it had never been fired: copper lube still on rails, no mark on the forward top of the barrel, clean, mags were mint, ...

He put about 150 rounds of WWB through it and had no issues. He's tickled to death, especially since I got him to move up to the Glock from a S&W Sigma.

But maybe it's just me...

GunRelated
03-01-12, 11:12
That is a sweet deal considering its condition. What pawn shop was this?

ucrt
03-01-12, 11:22
That is a sweet deal considering its condition. What pawn shop was this?

=================================

Good ol' Cash America in Lake Charles, La.
I have bought a lot of guns from different Cash America's in La. and Tx. I love to go to the ones in Houston.
FWIW, there are over 150 Pawn Shops in Houston. :)

davidz71
03-01-12, 22:10
Three of us at work bought new Gen 4 Model 22 Glocks after attending a Glock Instructor Workshop and Glock Armorer School. The trigger pull on all were heavier than any of our Gen 3 models in our armory and even my Springfield XD40. It definately was not even near the 5.5 lb. noted on the blue label on the box. One of the guys went with a 3.5 lb. Ghost trigger connector and I went with the 3.5 Ghost Rocket trigger connector. I polished all trigger components/contact points with Flitz until mirror smooth. I also replaced the firing pin plunger with a titanium plunger with new spring. Wow, it sure made a difference and is on par with the well broken in Model 22 pistols in our armory.

The Gen 4 models have a spring assembly recall on their website. My pistol has fired Rem. 180 FMJ and JHP, Remington 165 Gr. BJHP (my favorite), Winchester white box without problems but when I swapped out for the new recall spring, I had Winchester WB sometimes ejecting up and into the bill of my ballcap. I switched back to the original spring and it will stay there because there has been no problems with any of the previous loads fired in this pistol.

ozy
03-04-12, 11:28
have not had any problems to speak of with my gen 19s and/or 17.