PDA

View Full Version : Mixing sight brands and compatability, can't zero

Gunzilla
02-26-12, 07:07
Lets start with my problem: I am using a mixed set of iron sights, a Matech rear and the standard MI rail mounted folding front, and I'm having a problem zeroing it in.

The MI sight is mounted on a 13" TRX rail on my BCM upper. My LMT has the same Matech rear and works great with the standard A2 AR front sight.

My shots are hitting 6-10 inches high at 100 yards and my front sight post is almost above the pin that holds the sight post still. I do realize that the Matech's lowest setting is 200 yards, and that a 'zero'd' rifle at this distance should be getting hits about 2" high when shooting at 100 yards.

My Questions:

1. Can sights from 2 different makers be used together successfully? (MI w/ Troy or Troy w/ Magpul....etc.)

2. On rear sights, is there uniformity in dimensions from the rail top to the aperture hole center, or from the rail to the tip of the front sight post , from maker to maker?

So far it seems that the Matech rear sight works well on my LMT AR with the standard AR front sight, but not so well with the MI folding front....I'm confused. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

GTifosi
02-26-12, 09:10
Sights 'should' be cross brand compatible. Usually that's the case anyway.

Rail straight and true to the upper?

J_Dub_503
02-26-12, 14:53
The MI flip-up is most likely your problem. There are many reports of these sights having the FSP and detent spring flying off them. Midwest Industries seems to have some major QC problems.

Quentin
02-26-12, 20:25
Bushmaster sells a taller front sight post for about $6 that you won't have to back out so far that it wobbles like a shorter standard post.

Mixing and matching brands usually is ok as most good brands are milspec/flat top height but some have a commercial height, like Bushmaster, DPMS, ArmaLite and a few others. Or you can think of the two heights as the old A1/A2/A3 height and F-height (A4 flat top height).

C4IGrant
02-26-12, 21:20
They all should work together.

Make sure that your rail is not tilted upwards (which is a common problem with long rails that are clamped at the bottom.

C4

MSteele
02-26-12, 21:35
I don't have mixed sights but when I had a Troy rail that came with my S&W M&P I could not zero my sights and it was because the rail would turn just slightly to the right. S&W ended up replacing the rail and the new one locked up allowing me to zero my sights.

Gunzilla
02-26-12, 23:51
Bushmaster sells a taller front sight post for about $6 that you won't have to back out so far that it wobbles like a shorter standard post.

Mixing and matching brands usually is ok as most good brands are milspec/flat top height but some have a commercial height, like Bushmaster, DPMS, ArmaLite and a few others. Or you can think of the two heights as the old A1/A2/A3 height and F-height (A4 flat top height).

I'd change the post to one of the longer KNS posts that I have (and I still might) but I just installed the Trijicon front blade sight that you turn to line up after you get the elevation set. Sure hate to have to replace it if there is a way to use the front sight set up.

The rail appears to be squared up and mounted correctly, I did take it off twice to relocate and mount a longer rail and I was very careful when I remounted it. I will recheck it in the morning just to be sure.

Since I was hoping to convert to low-light sights it looks like I may just invest in a set of micro Troy folders with the Trijicon inserts and get away from the mixed brands altogether. It's just hard to justify spending over $250 on back-up sights for a weekend warrior. :bad:

.....decisions....decisions.

Thanks to all that took time to respond!!! :thank_you2:

sinlessorrow
02-27-12, 20:28
is it possible its the Matech? i know a 100yrd zero is not what they were designed for

Gunzilla
02-28-12, 10:42
is it possible its the Matech? i know a 100yrd zero is not what they were designed for

The Matech is designed for ranges between 200 and 600 meters, but based on how far off I am at 100 yards (still 6-10" high), and how high the front post is currently, I can't get to zero without the risk of losing the front sight post. And based on a response it may be best to sell the MI for something with a better history of staying together.

Based on the ballistic trajectory chart my round should be hitting between 1.5" - 2" high at 100 yards, if I've read it correctly.

Although I can't confirm this I suspect that the Matech may not be compatible with the MI front sight. Others have stated that these sights should be compatible, but at this point I'm not confident. It's looking like I'll be buying new matching sights instead of playing around with the mixed brands.

Thanks again.

motorolahamm
02-28-12, 12:26
Try that BM front sight post.

Gunzilla
02-29-12, 01:02
Well, I did it, I went to fleabay and bought a set of Troy folders, and since I have the front Trijicon dot sight blade I got the 2 dot rear low-light sight to match the T-blade front dot sight.

I wasn't going to buy the low-light rear sight but the price was only $20 more so it seemed like a no brainer.

The new 'matching' sights should solve my problem.

Thanks again to all that responded.

motorolahamm
02-29-12, 07:02
hate to say that trit front sight post is short. or atleast mine is i have to run it almost all the way up to get zeroed. not sure if anyone else has had this problem????

motorolahamm
02-29-12, 07:06
But good choice getting rid of that MI sight put that sucker back on flebay and get some money back. to help with the cost of those troys or Ammo.

p.s. troy makes a nice sight from what i have seen

Gunzilla
02-29-12, 09:55
hate to say that trit front sight post is short. or atleast mine is i have to run it almost all the way up to get zeroed. not sure if anyone else has had this problem????

Well, that's not very encouraging to hear. :sad:

I'm pleased that I'm losing the mixed brand sights, but this is not good news. I'll update this thread after I get a chance to go out and zero it. Maybe I can confirm you findings, ...or preferably not. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up.

Huldra128
02-29-12, 12:44
I have had issues with my department issued DPMS(for the record I was against purchasing these). Front sight is a YH. The rear is MI. My first carbine course I could not get the thing zeroed properly. I ran out of adjustments. One of the guys I work with was in the class and he had the same issue. From what I am told it has something to do with the sights being on the same plane(dont quote me on this. this is how I understood it). The only sights I have mix matched are the Matechs with the standard A2 front sight post. My set of Troys on my S&W are great. The Matech is on my LMT and it works great with the standard front sight. Just my .02 cents.