PDA

View Full Version : SIG M400 WTF! is this object in chamber? - Now I know

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-26-12, 09:23
SO WTF is this object located in the chamber of my SIG M400? I was detail cleaning it after getting it home from the store (decided to take a chance) and I discovered this!
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/SIGWTF.jpg

IT is not a primer. It is affixed to the wall of the chamber behind one of the lugs. The bolt operates correctly and there is no hang up. Bolt seats 100% all the way.

I have to wonder if this is some SIG round counting RFID device? I now know this is not the case. I am retarded and need to be more patient and look before I leap. Safety device to support the extractor. I will cut back on the coffee today.

I am not keeping it! IT is going back Monday and I am buying a 6920.
I will keep it. And I will probably buy the Colt Monday anyway. Sportsmans Warehouse has the SP6920 MOE edition for $999.97 so why not.

MidwestRookie
02-26-12, 09:41
Yep, its a round counting rfid chip the space invaders added to sigs just to keep an eye on you specifically!

Grab the tin foil and run!

Iraqgunz
02-26-12, 09:42
Well I would probably contact Sig Technical people directly and ask them.

HKGuns
02-26-12, 09:46
I have to wonder if this is some SIG round counting RFID device?

Seriously? A little paranoid aren't we? Just pick up the phone and call SIG or email them the picture. It certainly doesn't look normal, but it very well could be normal for that rifle.

ralph
02-26-12, 09:52
Some kind of loaded chamber indicator?? Seriously, I would've bought the Colt..A little search around here would probably dig up enough info for you to reconsider the Sig..

MrSmitty
02-26-12, 09:56
Looks exactly like the firing pin safety in a Glock.

ColdDeadHands
02-26-12, 10:01
Yep, its a round counting rfid chip the space invaders added to sigs just to keep an eye on you specifically!

Grab the tin foil and run!

Here we go again. Same smart-ass comments I got when I asked about a chip in my Friends HK45. Did it ever occur that people who ask a question just want a regular answer? This is m4carbine.net not hkpro...

Arctic1
02-26-12, 10:21
It is a limiting pin, intended to hold the extractor in place in case of a blown primer or case rupture, to ensure function after an event like that.

We have the same feature on our HK416's as part of the OTB capability.

Noodles
02-26-12, 10:25
Here we go again. Same smart-ass comments I got when I asked about a chip in my Friends HK45. Did it ever occur that people who ask a question just want a regular answer? This is m4carbine.net not hkpro...

Well... If you look at the size and location, and what it would take to even make a "round counting device", how it would be powered, how it would install, where it would even go inside the metal with enough room for an antennae, battery, micro controller, etc, and why sig would try and install such masterpiece in a sneaky but obvious way.... It's all pretty retarded.

So stupid question gets stupid answers. Sorry.

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-26-12, 10:26
It is a limiting pin, intended to hold the extractor in place in case of a blown primer or case rupture, to ensure function after an event like that.

this makes sense but wow was I surprised.

Yeah I should have got a Colt and yes I own a BCM already. I got the SIG because I traded for it at a very low price.

Timberwolf
02-26-12, 10:32
SO WTF is this object located in the chamber of my SIG M400? I was detail cleaning it after getting it home from the store (decided to take a chance) and I discovered this!
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/SIGWTF.jpg

IT is not a primer. It is affixed to the wall of the chamber behind one of the lugs. The bolt operates correctly and there is no hang up. Bolt seats 100% all the way.

I have to wonder if this is some SIG round counting RFID device?

I am not keeping it! IT is going back Monday and I am buying a 6920.

Over-react much? You don't even know what it is, and you are all ready to return it? How about contacting Sig to make sure it is normal, and shooting the rifle? You liked it enough to buy it; why return it now?

Personally, I would have bought something else, but you already have it in hand. Shoot it if it's normal.

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-26-12, 10:36
Maybe I did flip out a little to fast. I was shocked when I saw it.

I now know it is NOT and RFID device but is there to support the extractor as an added safety device.

I need to switch to decaf. Thanks for helping talk me down. Carry on. Nothing to see here but an over worked over stressed gun owner.

HKGuns
02-26-12, 10:38
Thanks for clearing that up Arctic.

As for the other comment, the OP did receive answers and they were to call SIG before jumping to conclusions.

I wouldn't say the assertion that it was RFID was stupid, just not the first thing I would think.

Todd00000
02-26-12, 10:51

What is OTB?

Arctic1
02-26-12, 10:54
I see on the SIG page that the SIG516 is OTB capable due to it's "proprietary supported extractor". Don't know which is the newest if the two, but they probably use similar parts in both rifles.

And just to nitpick a bit, that is not the chamber, it is the barrel extension.

Arctic1
02-26-12, 10:55
What is OTB?

Over the beach.

Search for HK416 vs. M4 on youtube for a demo.

Eurodriver
02-26-12, 11:02
OP, decaf is definitely necessary.

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-26-12, 11:15
OP, decaf is definitely necessary.

I also decided to quit smoking yesterday. I just quit cold turkey after 20 years and I am freaking out over the dumbest shit. :jester:

djmorris
02-26-12, 11:27
Well... If you look at the size and location, and what it would take to even make a "round counting device", how it would be powered, how it would install, where it would even go inside the metal with enough room for an antennae, battery, micro controller, etc, and why sig would try and install such masterpiece in a sneaky but obvious way.... It's all pretty retarded.

So stupid question gets stupid answers. Sorry.

It's not that stupid, my friend. RFID chips can be found in firearms and they look pretty similiar to the OP's picture.

(not claiming this is an RFID chip, clearly it's not)

ermac
02-26-12, 11:54
It's not that stupid, my friend. RFID chips can be found in firearms and they look pretty similiar to the OP's picture.

(not claiming this is an RFID chip, clearly it's not)
In what other firearms have they been found? How would a chip be able to survive the intense heat of the chamber pressures? Assuming there is such a thing, to make it resistant to intense heat would probably mean it's too costly to even put in a firearm. Such a thing like a RFID chip is probably experimental and never has been put into a common mass produced firearm.

DeltaSierra
02-26-12, 12:02
In what other firearms have they been found? How would a chip be able to survive the intense heat of the chamber pressures? Assuming there is such a thing, to make it resistant to intense heat would probably mean it's too costly to even put in a firearm. Such a thing like a RFID chip is probably experimental and never has been put into a common mass produced firearm.

Even a quick Google search would turn up some interesting photos of RFID chips used in small arms.

Before you make sweeping claims that RFID technology has "never" been used in small arms, you might want to try to back that claim up...

The fact is that RFID technology is used in places that you would never think it would be possible.

-Edit -

For the benefit of those that may be reading disabled, I might add that I am not in any way suggesting that the object in question is a radio frequency identifier, as it has been clearly shown to be a mechanical device...

Noodles
02-26-12, 12:15
I think there is some TOS crossover going on.

The OP (under and early Sunday morning caffeine influence) suggested a round counter. RFID would be a way for "results" to be read out. The OP's picture is an obvious mechanical pin. And no, that pin does NOT look like an rfid tag, why would anyone..... ugh never mind.

I know RFID. I use transceivers and tags all the time. It IS stupid to look at the picture and assume round counter or RFID, we all have stupid moments and the OP relented and now knows that that feature is. Now STOP with the RFID bullshit. It's got to be the most understood aspect of modern firearms and inventory systems ever. Not saying it's good, not saying it's bad, not saying I personally want a gun with a tag/chip, just saying it's misunderstood and that if you're arguing THAT fact, you have no business discussing it.

It's like Y2K bug at the range all over again.

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-26-12, 12:16
HK has added RFID chips to some of their pistols. So there is a reason for my original freak out. Granted what I was looking at was in fact a safety device but there are gun makers doing this.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/HK45chip.jpg

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/123105-rfid-chip-usage.html

djmorris
02-26-12, 12:29

As mentioned by a poster above, he found one in his HK45. The thread is still floating around somewhere, with pictures. I've read a couple of other similar stories too but usually it's HK or other high end manufacturers. I'm not going to speculate what the point of these things are, but... yeah... Seriously, the clothes you're wearing likely contain some kind of RFID chip (true story) and you're doubting that they could put one somewhere in a firearm, or for that matter any other consumer product?

edit: wow everyone else beat me to it.. yeah I think you were a little off there, ermac.

ermac
02-26-12, 14:03
As mentioned by a poster above, he found one in his HK45. The thread is still floating around somewhere, with pictures. I've read a couple of other similar stories too but usually it's HK or other high end manufacturers. I'm not going to speculate what the point of these things are, but... yeah... Seriously, the clothes you're wearing likely contain some kind of RFID chip (true story) and you're doubting that they could put one somewhere in a firearm, or for that matter any other consumer product?

edit: wow everyone else beat me to it.. yeah I think you were a little off there, ermac.
Yes, I was wrong about that. Sorry.

Mjolnir
02-26-12, 18:40

U are the first person I've read/heard here make the FACTUAL CLAIM that RFID chips are in our clothes...

Good job.