PDA

View Full Version : Free Float Conversion and Barrel Wear

GTRed
02-26-12, 11:19
Question:
Does starting a rifle's barrel off in a "standard" configuration (not free float) result in wear that would make free floating it later less effective? For the sake of setting up the question, let's say we start with an out of the box Colt with standard hand guards and put 2,000 rounds through it. At this point, has the barrel been "broke in" or worn in such a way that converting the rifle to free float later on would be less effective?

I searched and didn't see a post addressing this specific question. Apologies in advance if I missed the thread.

Thanks.

Robb Jensen
02-26-12, 11:55
No it'll work just fine if you FF it now.

GTRed
02-26-12, 17:32
Ok. Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

I'm actually buying soon and have no current need for rail based accessories. I think I'll save the $$$ I would have spent on a nice free float hand guard set up and spend it on optics instead. Free float upgrade will wait for now.

J_Dub_503
02-27-12, 00:49
Sounds like you're off to a good start. If you get a set of Magpul handguards, IWC (http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/) makes a lot of nice a products that will allow you to mount those rail mounted accessories and save some money.

GTRed
02-27-12, 08:27
Ok, thanks for the input. The plan was to go with the Magpul set up anyway, so that works out well.

Was this really an off the wall question? I was surpsied that it hadn't been asked before. :o