PDA

View Full Version : Want to switch 20'' to 14.5'' CHF

galz71
02-26-12, 11:52
I have 20'' colt HBAR its my second AR and i want to change the barrel to shorter way lighter 14.5 chf with pinned comp since i live in NJ. This is my first venture into build/change, is it possible to change gas system for shorter barrel and will my lower with A2 buttstock work or do i have to change buffer to H buffer ect

jsummers
02-26-12, 12:43
You need to learn more about AR rifles.

The barrel can be changed to a 14.5", but it will come with a midlength or carbine gas system (or set up for one of those), depending on the barrel you get.

If you're keeping the A2 stock, then you won't change (as far as I know) anything with the buffer. The A2 buttstock uses a different buffer system than a collapsible stock, which has many different types of buffers.

Too many people worry about buffers and bring them up too often, not knowing what they are talking about.

Iraqgunz
02-26-12, 12:47
Your easiest option in regards to the barrel/upper is to simply replace the entire upper so that you also have the proper feedramps.

I asume that you are selling the HBAR upper to offset the cost?

I have 20'' colt HBAR its my second AR and i want to change the barrel to shorter way lighter 14.5 chf with pinned comp since i live in NJ. This is my first venture into build/change, is it possible to change gas system for shorter barrel and will my lower with A2 buttstock work or do i have to change buffer to H buffer ect

galz71
02-26-12, 14:01
yes i will be selling, i actually already have the colt for sale. i have had my eye on a BCM BFH and 12'' DD lite rail that just came back in stock. Just wanted to see if other options were worth looking at.

Bob Reed
02-26-12, 15:33
Hello,

Since you need an upper receiver with M4 Feed Ramps to go with the 14.5" inch barrel assembly - I'd buy a COLT R0977 Upper Receiver Group from Specialized Armament http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/Upper_Receiver_Group_R0977-957-283.html and have them do their Fourteen-Five to Sixteen Inch Barrel Modification on it. See SS008 on their shop services page for the details http://www.specializedarmament.com/pages/shop_services.html

You can see Specialized Armament's Custom Compensator that comes with the SS008 Barrel Modification via. this link http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/LE6921_Special_Edition-919-2.html

If you decide to go this route - you won't be sorry, because Specialized Armament's work is second to none and you'll have a high quality COLT when it's completed.

Iraqgunz
02-27-12, 00:31
Maybe he doesn't want to spend on an upper, what a stock 6920 costs? He can get a BCM upper complete for much less. Just sayin'.

Hello,

Since you need an upper receiver with M4 Feed Ramps to go with the 14.5" inch barrel assembly - I'd buy a COLT R0977 Upper Receiver Group from Specialized Armament http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/Upper_Receiver_Group_R0977-957-283.html and have them do their Fourteen-Five to Sixteen Inch Barrel Modification on it. See SS008 on their shop services page for the details http://www.specializedarmament.com/pages/shop_services.html

You can see Specialized Armament's Custom Compensator that comes with the SS008 Barrel Modification via. this link http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/LE6921_Special_Edition-919-2.html

If you decide to go this route - you won't be sorry, because Specialized Armament's work is second to none and you'll have a high quality COLT when it's completed.

Tzook
02-27-12, 13:10
Maybe he doesn't want to spend on an upper, what a stock 6920 costs? He can get a BCM upper complete for much less. Just sayin'.

This is definitely your best course of action. BCM complete upper, and your choice of comp/brake or whatever.

Bob Reed
02-27-12, 17:22
Maybe he doesn't want to spend on an upper, what a stock 6920 costs?
Hello,

I agree he'd be better off just buying a new 6920 (that way he'd keep his COLT HBAR complete & ready to go) and I personally wouldn't just go out and buy an upper without a spare lower to put it on - but if I had a spare lower, I'd only buy a Factory COLT Upper for it, or one of Ken's Special Production Uppers.

So in this case, if I were him, I'd buy a 6920 from Specialized Armament and have them make it ban state compliant.

MegademiC
02-28-12, 12:51
^^? He said he's selling the HBAR.

OP, as IG has said, your best bet for quality and price will be BCM, sell your whole upper and throw the new one on, and your good to go. BCM offers the option to pin a variety of muzzle devices onto a 14.5" to make it legal in your state if need be.

Seth247
02-28-12, 18:13
Lol @ specialized armaments prices!

55$ to add an H2 buffer to my order?

200$ to add a bolt/carrier?

300$ to pin a muzzle device?

200$ to cut down the gas system to fit under a rail?

100$ to install said rail?

What are they smoking?

Eta-Lol. 75$ to destroy my weapon. I'm pretty sure I can legally destroy an AR in about 3 minutes with an acetylene torch. And torch gas isn't exactly expensive.

bookin
02-28-12, 19:39

What are they smoking?

Eta-Lol. 75$ to destroy my weapon. I'm pretty sure I can legally destroy an AR in about 3 minutes with an acetylene torch. And torch gas isn't exactly expensive.

True. You can order a complete BCM 14.5" upper with pinned flash hider from G and R for $650. Check with www.gandrtactical.com

galz71
02-28-12, 22:23
Ordered BCM 14.5 middy thanks

Bob Reed
02-29-12, 19:10

What are they smoking?

When some people look at a list of shop services and squeal - they probably don't have a good understanding of what's actually involved in performing high quality machine & assembly work or the expense of all the machines, tools, cutters and a facility to even do the work in the first place. And many don't even bother reading the details or noticing that there new parts & refinishing involved. And then there's the ones that's going squeal no-matter what, and after running my own shop - I can assure you that the squealers are more trouble than their worth in the first place.

High quality, experienced work also carry's a premium over the typical "get-R-done" guys prices - and it's usually always worth paying the extra coin in order to totally avoid the amateur crews. Here's an example of where SA's highly skilled machine work vs. just "gettin'-R-done" is worth some extra - see Post #13 http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83304 By the way, the end-mills that's required for milling the hardened sear blocks don't come cheap (and they don't last forever when milling hardened steel, or any steel for that matter).

bookin
02-29-12, 21:28
Ordered BCM 14.5 middy thanks

Cool. I'm waiting for mine to arrive at my doorstep. Did you go with the light weight or govt profile?

galz71
03-01-12, 13:35
CHF. 14.5 with pinned pws fsc 556 (in live in nj) and DD lite rail. Govt profile. You?

usmc1371
03-01-12, 15:13
You can't go wrong with the BCM upper. Mine just showed up last week and it is dam nice and for the price IMHO its hard to beat. The only problem I had was trying to figure out exactly wich upper configuratuon to get, took me a year to decide.
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i365/usmc_1371/DSCN0065.jpg

TehLlama
03-01-12, 21:16
When some people look at a list of shop services and squeal - they probably don't have a good understanding of what's actually involved in performing high quality machine & assembly work or the expense of all the machines, tools, cutters and a facility to even do the work in the first place. And many don't even bother reading the details or noticing that there new parts & refinishing involved. And then there's the ones that's going squeal no-matter what, and after running my own shop - I can assure you that the squealers are more trouble than their worth in the first place.

This is one of the cases where re-doing the entirety of the rifle is simply more expensive than just starting over using new parts, regardless of who the machine shop is.

OP is on the right track, and as we've all chimed in (uselessly in my case), the new one is going to be GTG.

Pappabear
03-01-12, 23:44
I had the same gun, did the same thing. Sold the upper. Couldn't remove the barrel, stuck on too tight. Sold the complete uppers.

Bought a BCM UPPER, and 18" inch SS Barrel, and 12 inch DD Rail.

I did run the lower on SBR's many times , did not need to change anything. Ran perfect.

galz71
03-02-12, 12:19
Looks great. Eventually want to get bcm lower with short ace skeleton stock