PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Tacoma area next month from CA.

pingdork
02-26-12, 16:30
Goodbye and good riddance to my 10rd mags and bullet button. Thinking of appropriate methods of disposal. Thinking tannerite.

Seriously though. Opportunity arose within my company, and glad to get out of Cali.

Not for sure what neighborhood I'll choose, but probably to Puyallup. Looking at other cities as well. Wife only cares that schools are decent. I saw there's a range, golf course close by. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Couple questions.

Bringing my firearms of course. Do I register them?
How long must I live there to apply for CCW?
How far for legal shooting BLM land?
Puyallup decently safe? I live LA area now, but who knows, maybe there's worse.
I've shopped online from Rainier Arms, looks like his loc is nearby, yay! Any other stores?
Going to rent for couple months while learning areas to decide where to buy, appox current pricing for 2 bedroom apts?
Also love fishing so will be looking for fishing buds to show me local ropes.

Excited to be moving to a more firearm friendly state. 10rd mags and mag locks really suck and can't wait to toss em.

GotAmmo
02-26-12, 17:42
No need to register your firearms

Google LESA for current info. But I do know the permit cost is 60 bucks and I received mine in 2 weeks after applying.

Not sure what BLM land is but there are a few indoor ranges local to Puyallup. There is outdoor ranges scattered thru-out the county.

Puyallup is safer then LA. I liked the area the 2 yrs I lived there. The most dangerous incident I recall are the 4 police officers who were murdered in a Parkland coffee shop in 2009

Blade-tech is local but has no store front and shipping isnt any faster. Rainier Arms has a store front but I've never been. Ammo-Surplus & Arms has the best price on ammo in the area along with Cabellas

I moved away in August for work so unless things went way south I doubt much has changed. I love the area, wife is from there so maybe we'll be retiring in that area at some point. Everything you want in the outdoors in one area.

I paid about 1k for a 2 bed, 2 bath... 1000 sq ft apartment in parkland which is next to Puyallup. But I'm military so they gave us special rates.

pingdork
02-26-12, 18:00
Not sure what BLM land is but there are a few indoor ranges local to Puyallup. There is outdoor ranges scattered

BLM is Bureau of Land Management. It's public land not designated as national forest or park. Shooting is generally allowed in some areas.

GotAmmo
02-26-12, 18:26
BLM is Bureau of Land Management. It's public land not designated as national forest or park. Shooting is generally allowed in some areas.

Im unaware of anything like that in the area. People I conversed with always talked about finding a place outside of Mt Rainier to pop off some rounds.

Alot of the land in that area is owned by Fort Lewis which has a range that civilians can use.

Unless you meet some locals that know something, you may be hard pressed to find an outdoor range that will even let you holster your firearm while on the range

BSHNT2015
03-24-12, 11:03
Nothing against Tacoma, lots of friends at the PD there. Have you considered Gig Harbour or Federal Way?

J_Dub_503
03-24-12, 13:14
Say good by to Vladmir Putin and hello to uncle Ted Nugent...lol. I live in Oregon which has similar laws as Wash. Try looking on the state forestry's website for BLM maps, you should be able to find something there. Give them a phone call if you can't find what you're looking for, they'll more than likely be helpful.

kmrtnsn
03-24-12, 13:31
You'll appreciate the walk-in proximity to Noveske, Rainier Arms, and Tactical Tailor. Good luck.

pingdork
03-24-12, 23:26
Nothing against Tacoma, lots of friends at the PD there. Have you considered Gig Harbour or Federal Way?

Office will be in Tacoma but planning on living in surrounding area. Got a temp place in puyallup, staying with a friend while scout houses to buy. Move is just 2 weeks away. Excited to get rid of my bullet buttons and 10 rd mags.