PDA

View Full Version : Stock to Shoulder High

TXBob
02-26-12, 17:55
I was working on my sighting today and found that my head was extremely tilted to get a good sight visualization when the stock was in what I would term a "normal for me" position. Top of the stock 1-2 inches below top of the shoulder. I even had trouble seing the sights clearly. When I lined up for a good check weld and comfortable sight alignment the stock is such that most of it is above my shoudler, with maybe 1 to just a 1/2 inch of the bottom of the stock in contact with the top of my shoulder.

It seems I am doing something wrong, but need help as to a proper cheek weld, stock position on shoulder while still getting iron sights visible without a significant head tilt to the side. It seems I have a rather "big head (all jokes aside)" that is causing the out of alignment.

Suggestions for assistance to get the sights in line without extreme head cant (as in moving your ear towards your shoulder).

GeorgiaBoy
02-26-12, 18:44
Take a look at this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17556

You may also want to try bringing the gun in a little more towards your midline. Then again, it may just be your build type may require that you have the stock higher up on your shoulder. You will lose some recoil control though.

bsmith_shoot
02-26-12, 19:36
Hey friend, I have been in your shoes. When I got into the AR world, I had an awful time getting a good shoulder purchase , and maintaining proper cheek weld. I come from a long history of hunting; deer, squirel, rabbit, coyote, turkey, and most any thing else that was a challenge. The curse that came with that, was always having a firearm that "fit" me. My deer rifle had great comb height, excellent length of pull, proper eye relief, all the requirements of a good rifle. The same went for my shotguns and rimfires.
In the majority of the shooting world, the weapon is designed to fit the individual end user. The combat weapon isnt.
The M9, M4, M16, Glock, M249, tac shotgun, etc..... are all designed to be issued to military forces and LEO agencies. They are designed to accomodate a large and varied group of individual. They arent completely comfortable.
With all the advancements in the market today, it is possible to accesorize your chosen defensive weapon to fit you, bit it takes trial and error.
My daily rifle is a SBR that I take with me most every day. I grab it, shoulder it, and it feels perfect. Granted, I have dropped some cash in fitting it to my needs, but the single biggest reason it feels perfect to me now is, I shoot it a lot.
You have to get the feel of a combat rifle for it to be right for you. Shoot it, do dryfire drills, shoulder it a bunch, and nefore long, it will feel better than any deer rifle you own. It did for me anyhow.
Brandon

Quiet-Matt
02-26-12, 19:48
TXBob, Without seeing your stance I can only assume that you are standing too erect. Leaning foward more and rolling your shoulders in (as is you were hugging yourself) will definately help you with the problems you're having.

TXBob
02-26-12, 20:48
That could be (shooting erect). My facilities are such that I have to do a lot of practice from a rest, seated position as opposed to my dryfire practice for precision rifle which is prone.

I do know I am a larger than normal person--my collapsable stock is all the way out, and I had no problems with the Older A2 fixed stock even in full winter clothing.

I'll take some hints from the thread linked above as well. Thank you for the assistance.