PDA

View Full Version : New to NFA....questions

Mike from Texas
02-26-12, 19:31
When out shooting with my new NFA toys, what am I required to keep with the weapon and what is the best way to store them? I'm assuming my paperwork of some sort will have to be kept with each NFA item?

All of my ARs have VLTOR EMod stocks on them. Can the paperwork be kept inside the battery tubes or stock storage area?

Sorry for the thread title typo! :haha:

Hmac
02-26-12, 19:35
I scan a copy of my Form 1 at half-size and keep it in my iMod stock, original safe at home.

cj5_dude
02-26-12, 21:23
Keep the original in a safe place at home or a safety deposit box. Make a photocopy of the original and you can put it in the stock, or in a range bag you take with you, or anywhere really.

It's a good idea to have a copy of every tax stamp with the appropriate item available whenever. I keep a copy of my silencer paperwork in the range case for my threaded pistol that it goes with, and I keep a copy of my SBR paperwork in the carry case for it. Pretty simple really.

Iraqgunz
02-27-12, 00:42
To the best of my knowledge (and if someone knows where to find it, please pass it on) there is no requirement to have your paperwork with you when out and about.

I keep the originals at home in the safe. I have some photocopies floating around that I may or may not throw in the car before I head out to shoot. If I have an encounter with local LE and they want to see something then I will politely tell them that the approved forms are at home and we can go check them out.

J_Dub_503
02-27-12, 00:57
Although I don't own any NFA items, I'm with Iraqgunz on this. I don't see where carrying a COPY the paperwork is any different than leaving it at home. Either way, you don't have the official paperwork with you.

SteyrAUG
02-27-12, 02:18
To the best of my knowledge (and if someone knows where to find it, please pass it on) there is no requirement to have your paperwork with you when out and about.

I keep the originals at home in the safe. I have some photocopies floating around that I may or may not throw in the car before I head out to shoot. If I have an encounter with local LE and they want to see something then I will politely tell them that the approved forms are at home and we can go check them out.

Not sure if it is required or not, but I know a lot of ranges want to see (a copy is fine) in order to verify you aren't on their range with an illegal firearm. To me that is a reasonable request.

J_Dub_503
02-27-12, 02:45
Not sure if it is required or not, but I know a lot of ranges want to see (a copy is fine) in order to verify you aren't on their range with an illegal firearm. To me that is a reasonable request.

I was speaking to legal obligations rather than range rules when i mentioned copies. I'd be perfectly happy to carry a copy to the range if necessary, that's absolutely reasonable. Luckily, I live in a county that has literally hundreds of thousands of acres that I can freely shoot on. :P

Iraqgunz
02-27-12, 02:52
I don't shoot at ranges and ranges weren't mentioned. The OP seemed to be focused on the legal side.

motoduck
02-27-12, 06:43
Title 27 CFR chapter II 479.101 (e) "A person possessing a firearm registered to him shall retain proof of registration which shall be made available to any ATF officer upon request"

As with many NFA issues the above requirement begs as many questions as it answers.

I always keep a copy (originals in safe) of my NFA paperwork with the devise MG/SBR/Supressor. I also keep a book (3 ring binder) with copies of paperwork and take it when I am bringing multilpe toys to a shoot.
It has been my experience that most LEO's don't know much about NFA regulations and some know enough to be dangerious (sarcastic). So, if questioned it helps to have a copy of paperwork handy. This has helped me many times in the past.

motoduck
02-27-12, 06:47
For the record, I have never had an LEO want to see paperwork on an SBR or Supressor. The problem/issue is always with machine guns. When people hear automatic weapons fire they get nervious (it does not matter if its private property or a range). They call 911, the designated LEO then has to check it out, that's just the way it is.

SteyrAUG
02-27-12, 12:33
I don't shoot at ranges and ranges weren't mentioned. The OP seemed to be focused on the legal side.

Sorry, that was an assumption on my part. At any rate, knowing anyone who may have the authority to check "probably" doesn't know the exact rules either, a copy would probably be a good idea.

I've had cops who checked my license and sent me on my way without looking at Form 4s and I've had cops who still didn't know quite what they were dealing with even after seeing Form 4s. But in most cases some kind of official looking paperwork made them a lot calmer when dealing with a guy who actually has a machine gun.

fixit69
03-04-12, 13:31
My good friend is an ffl/sot, and we have talked about this in length. I think local shooting you should be fine with a copy of form one, or like IG said.
Any farther, three ring binder with form one and copy of NFA handbook, highlighted areas where it is totally legal for you to posess the verboten item... just snow Barney with paperwork.
If you have the correct paperwork from the ATF, you have no worries.

silentmark
03-04-12, 16:21
I keep a photo copy of my forms in my range bag, but I have never had anyone question me at all about my NFA toys.

t4man
03-09-12, 10:26
I had some 50% copies made and laminated. i keep one in each vehicle and range bag. I have never been asked by any leo to produce it. I do keep a close eye on my nfa items while at the range.

KalashniKEV
03-09-12, 10:41
I have them all scanned into my Google Docs, so I always figured I'd just pull it up on my phone. No one has ever asked though.

I made some very high print resolution 25% copies and stuffed them way up high in a few grips. I don't really do that anymore though.

usmcvet
03-09-12, 15:58
I have several color copies I laminated and try to keep on of each in my rifle bags. I have two SBR's so it's pretty easy for me. I've never been asked to see the paper work.