PDA

View Full Version : Heavier buffer swap (H to H2)?

Buck1122
02-26-12, 19:43
Hey folks,

I own an LWRC Repr...20in .308 that I shoot strictly suppresed. Does anyone know if I would gain any benefits to swapping the stock buffer to a heaver H2 or an H1 buffer. From what I know it may help the bolt slow down some to aid in cycling? Its a semi auto weapon obviosuly.

Oh, same thing with a standard M4 Smith and Wesson M&P carbine in .223. Would it help to add a heavier buffer to aid in cycling?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks gents.

J_Dub_503
02-26-12, 22:04
Are either of those two rifles running rough or malfunctioning? Do you have extraction issues? There's no need to fix something that isn't broken. You could upgrade to an H buffer on the M&P but it may not be necessary.

ucrt
02-26-12, 22:12

The S&W will be over-gassed, so an H Buffer will help.

On the LWRC, you're on your own.
Maybe MarkM will login and give his thoughts.

But maybe it's just me...

Buck1122
02-27-12, 10:01
Neither of my rifles have any cycling issues yet....this is just a preventative thought I have floating around in my head.

As soon as the S&W M&P shows up and I put a can on it I am quite sure it will be over gassed. Would yall suggest swapping the stock buffer for a H weight buffer or H2? H2 may be too much weight and slow cycling down to much.....keep in mind that it's a carbine length that will be attached to a full size .308 titanium suppresor so I expect some real gas blowback.

mtrmn
03-01-12, 20:56
Neither of my rifles have any cycling issues yet....this is just a preventative thought I have floating around in my head.

As soon as the S&W M&P shows up and I put a can on it I am quite sure it will be over gassed. Would yall suggest swapping the stock buffer for a H weight buffer or H2? H2 may be too much weight and slow cycling down to much.....keep in mind that it's a carbine length that will be attached to a full size .308 titanium suppresor so I expect some real gas blowback.

On the M&P I'd run as heavy a buffer I could and still cycle reliably with the weaker ammo like Wolf. I wound up with H2s in my carbine length gas systems and a YHM 308 Ti QD suppressor.

On the 308, you might get in touch with heavybuffers.com for recommendations. That's what I did with good results. YMMV

Buck1122
03-01-12, 21:09
Thanks for the input. I am going to leave my .308 LWRC alon unless I run into a cycling issue...I strictly shoot it suppressed with match 175gr ammo so it seems at least at this point like it runs fine.

The S&W when it shows up (Im guessing here) is going to need at least maybe the H1 buffer when I run it suppressed. Although, I could be wrong bc even though I just plan on shooting steel and keeping my skills up I will never run underpowered ammo or Wolff ammo through it....it may be surplus but it will be at least 55gr minimum all the way up to 77gr. The powder charge in either round should hopefully be enough when using a can to cycle fine. But, to be on the safe side, whats the harm is swapping out the before for $50 and not having to worry about it right?

Just more cash and I dont want to have to worry about this kind of crap when I am shooting.

mtrmn
03-02-12, 06:56
I suggested Wolf for testing so that you would know for sure that it would still cycle lighter loads--even un-suppressed. That way you would not have to swap buffers all the time.