PDA

View Full Version : Thank God I'm Not A Cop...

SteyrAUG
02-26-12, 23:34
When I was young it was something I considered doing when I grew up. An interesting job I thought, one where you help people and get the bad guys who make things worse for everybody else. It seemed to me to be something honorable that a man could do that he could take pride in. It seemed like something positive and an opportunity to earn respect.

And then I learned what the job really is.

People who think 911 is a number you dial so somebody can come referee the continuous and ongoing family drama that decent people avoid or resolve peacefully on their own. Belligerent and arrogant people who blame you when you catch them doing something illegal. People who look down upon you as some kind of flunkie but expect you to risk life and limb to protect them and their property.

Watching the worst of the worst of offenders evade justice because they know the system and are experts when it comes to manipulating it and watching people who are basically good and decent become victims of the system because they don't know any better and their habitual honesty puts them at risk. And all the while being hampered by the rules of the system to the point where there is little you can do as an individual to make things right.

Regularly having to deal with the same low lifes over and over because society thinks everyone deserves a second chance, and a third and a fourth and a fifth and that everyone can be rehabilitated.

And if all that isn't bad enough there are the people who hate you simply because of your occupation. Those who cheer when officers are killed, those who would kill if given the opportunity. And all for what the average McDonalds manager earns in terms of salary.

Yep, I'm really glad I'm not a cop.

Mauser KAR98K
02-27-12, 02:29
And just to think they give a pysch exam for a job you have to be crazy enough to take in the first place.

karmapolice
02-27-12, 09:03
but it is so much fun man lol, I look at all the bull as a challenge that just makes it more interesting. If it was to easy it wouldn't be fun and the chance for abuse of power would be way higher.

Pork Chop
02-27-12, 09:23
but it is so much fun man lol, I look at all the bull as a challenge that just makes it more interesting. If it was to easy it wouldn't be fun and the chance for abuse of power would be way higher.

Exactly. It's similar to the teaching profession. Most who are doing it are doing it because they are drawn to it by some inner calling, so to speak, not because of the pay or prestige.

Thanks a ton to those who have that calling. I admire and appreciate you.............and like SteyrAug, I'm glad it's not me.:haha:

DocHolliday01
02-27-12, 09:43
When I was young it was something I considered doing when I grew up. An interesting job I thought, one where you help people and get the bad guys who make things worse for everybody else. It seemed to me to be something honorable that a man could do that he could take pride in. It seemed like something positive and an opportunity to earn respect.

And then I learned what the job really is.

People who think 911 is a number you dial so somebody can come referee the continuous and ongoing family drama that decent people avoid or resolve peacefully on their own. Belligerent and arrogant people who blame you when you catch them doing something illegal. People who look down upon you as some kind of flunkie but expect you to risk life and limb to protect them and their property.

Watching the worst of the worst of offenders evade justice because they know the system and are experts when it comes to manipulating it and watching people who are basically good and decent become victims of the system because they don't know any better and their habitual honesty puts them at risk. And all the while being hampered by the rules of the system to the point where there is little you can do as an individual to make things right.

Regularly having to deal with the same low lifes over and over because society thinks everyone deserves a second chance, and a third and a fourth and a fifth and that everyone can be rehabilitated.

And if all that isn't bad enough there are the people who hate you simply because of your occupation. Those who cheer when officers are killed, those who would kill if given the opportunity. And all for what the average McDonalds manager earns in terms of salary.

Yep, I'm really glad I'm not a cop.

That is by far the most frustrating for me, the broken system.

maximus83
02-27-12, 14:55
And yet, despite these many frustrations that must be there for cops, some still do it and we owe them our thanks.

I think of a family incident that happened over 20 years ago, when a mentally disturbed husband shot his wife, who happened to be a family member of mine.

The police who showed up to handle that event were incredibly compassionate (even to the shooter). They showed a real concern for the young kids who were on the scene (my nephews and niece), and tried to calm them down and make them feel safe. Also, if the cops had not intervened so quickly and professionally (because a kidnapping occurred for a short time after the initial shooting), I doubt the family member would still be alive.

In another incident, one time I had come home from a surgery and had an allergic reaction to a medication where I went into anaphylactic shock. I slipped into unconsciousness, and it turned out the cops were the first ones on the scene and performed CPR. Not to be too dramatic, but it's very possible that they saved my life. Once again, different town, different cops, but same result: they were friendly, humorous, compassionate, professional. Could not have asked for a better set of guys, in both cases.

Despite all the crud that cops have to put up with, the best of them are some incredible human beings and I'm glad they're out there. They definitely make a difference. I think although I'm in a different profession and have no desire to change now, I could definitely enjoy the "people-helping" aspect of being a cop, although I'm sure all the frustrations that OP lists are there and must be dealt with.

Sensei
02-27-12, 14:56
Being a cop seems like it would be fun during parts of my day - such as the commute to work when I see THAT guy cutting people off and driving like a lunatic. Then, I get to work and see what the po po brings me and I'm suddenly aware of all the people that I'd want to kill if they gave me a badge and gun.

11B101ABN
02-27-12, 15:56
I love, love, love this job.

The best part is the second guessing , and monday morning QBing by everyone that doesn't do the job. That's the best ever.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't trade it for squat. Best seat in the house.

Voodoo_Man
02-27-12, 16:25
That is definitely one way to look at it, then again every single job has their own "issues."

I am a problem solver, have been and will be my entire life. I have a very specific set of skills which help me solve more problems in one day that most will in a month or even a year (on busy nights). Those problems range from medical care to putting people into the ground.

It is the greatest show on earth and I would not give it up for anything.

Irish
02-27-12, 16:31
The best part is the second guessing , and monday morning QBing by everyone that doesn't do the job. That's the best ever.:rolleyes:

Here we go...

Magic_Salad0892
02-27-12, 16:49
Here we go...

I don't think he meant it like that, dude.

ZoomByU
02-27-12, 17:14
All that BS aside I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I find satisfaction in putting people in jail, what happens after that doesn't usually concern me most of the time.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
02-27-12, 18:39
All that BS aside I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I find satisfaction in putting people in jail, what happens after that doesn't usually concern me most of the time.

It bothers me that they hit the street faster than it takes to process them after an arrest and the many gun possessions of hardened scumbags that magically transform from felony to disorderly conduct violations. Embarrassing. I saw it as a calling but have seen the good and bad of it.

Voodoo_Man
02-27-12, 19:04
Here we go...

This is not arfcom, so people should not be butt hurt over such comments unless they believe it was directed at them.

Irish
02-27-12, 19:25
I was trying to bite my tongue and not respond but since 2 people feel like quoting me here we go... This is what I responded to:

I don't think he meant it like that, dude.
I guess it's all in how interpret an obviously snide comment with a sarcastic smilie "eye roll".

This is not arfcom, so people should not be butt hurt over such comments unless they believe it was directed at them.
What's sad is the amount of cops who get "butt hurt" when another officer, who they don't even know, is criticized for their job performance.

If we're to use 11B101ABN's logic than you shouldn't talk about or complain about Obama's performance, a taxi driver's driving, a waitress' performance or anything else you haven't done. The fact of the matter is the people who pay cop's salaries have every right in the world to evaluate their job performance. The people, called taxpayers, are paying them for a service and if they don't like the service that they're receiving they should speak up. If enough people speak up and the behavior doesn't stop they should be fired without the benefit of being arbitrated back to work and having their unions protecting them.

Police work isn't rocket science and if you're not intelligent enough to correct someone's misinformed assertions, instead of whining about somebody MMQB'ing something, than maybe you shouldn't be one.

Voodoo_Man
02-27-12, 19:36
If we're to use 11B101ABN's logic than you shouldn't talk about or complain about Obama's performance, a taxi driver's driving, a waitress' performance or anything else you haven't done. The fact of the matter is the people who pay cop's salaries...

And that is where I stopped reading.

Thanks for your time and opinions on the matter, but if you actually believe what you are typing we are done exchanging posts.

J-Dub
02-27-12, 20:43
LOL March 19th I'm doing my final interview, poly, psyc, and med exams.

I'm really excited about becoming a LEO, personally. I think it is what you make it. But who knows 20yrs down the road i might feel different.

ZGXtreme
02-27-12, 21:24
LOL March 19th I'm doing my final interview, poly, psyc, and med exams.

I'm really excited about becoming a LEO, personally. I think it is what you make it. But who knows 20yrs down the road i might feel different.

You'll feel different after five years. Not that you won't like the job, you'll still be facinated with the idea of the job (hunting those who prey upon the innocent) but the day to day B.S. will wear on ya.

Redmanfms
02-28-12, 00:11
And that is where I stopped reading.

Thanks for your time and opinions on the matter, but if you actually believe what you are typing we are done exchanging posts.

Great way to solve problems, just cut folks off and ignore them.

If you had been offended by the rocket science comment I'd have been with you dude, Irish went too far on that, but the paragraph you stopped reading is what an awful lot of us ignorant "civilians" think about the matter. Whether you like it or not, YOU answer to US.

CoryCop25
02-28-12, 00:28
I made it to about 12 years before I got sick of it. Now it's just work. I still put in all the effort and still train and keep my head on a swivel but I no longer look forward to being at work.

Irish
02-28-12, 00:50
Police work isn't rocket science and if you're not intelligent enough to correct someone's misinformed assertions, instead of whining about somebody MMQB'ing something, than maybe you shouldn't be one.

If you had been offended by the rocket science comment I'd have been with you dude, Irish went too far on that, but the paragraph you stopped reading is what an awful lot of us ignorant "civilians" think about the matter. Whether you like it or not, YOU answer to US.

You're misinterpreting what I wrote. It wasn't intended as an insult and shouldn't be taken as such. What I meant was most police work can be described through a relatively simple explanation versus educating someone about rocket science.

Rather than posting the usual comments about MMQB'ing, "Are you a cop?" or my favorite "Were you there?" simply explain what the average police officer would do and why they'd do it in that particular situation. The biggest problem is everybody acts like you shot the Pope when you question an officer's actions rather than actually having an adult conversation about it.

I apologize if I've offended anyone's sensibilities.

SWATcop556
02-28-12, 10:14
I live for the Monday morning QB sessions. It keeps me sharp. It makes me a better officer. I've had some decent ****ups in my days and people pointing out my mistakes changes you for the better. I don't care if it's supervisors, admin, fellow officers, citizens, etc. critiques and criticizism make us better.

The only time I get pissed about the "taxpayer" comments is when some drunk bitch/asshole is going to jail and they are screaming about how they pay my paycheck. I just always tell them thank you and because of their generosity their trip to jail will be free.

Thick skin is needed for the job. Plain and simple. Critique all you want just do it from the perspective that unless you do the job you may not know what you don't know.

Voodoo_Man
02-28-12, 10:29
Great way to solve problems, just cut folks off and ignore them.

News flash, you are not the boss of any police officer.

I know this may be a difficult concept for some to understand, maybe they need to have their personal shortcomings addressed or whatever, I do not care.

Cutting folks off and ignoring what they have to say when they are just repeating what they have heard is something that takes experience. As was stated, this job requires thick skin and veteran officers know when to just let people talk, while giving them the old in one ear/out the other treatment.

As many officers here, knowing the job means not having to deal with the typical ignorance of the general public. Believe it or not we took an oath to protect everyone from everything, not a suicide pact, not a front seat to your personal soapbox. Get over it.

Irish
02-28-12, 10:48
I live for the Monday morning QB sessions. It keeps me sharp. It makes me a better officer. I've had some decent ****ups in my days and people pointing out my mistakes changes you for the better. I don't care if it's supervisors, admin, fellow officers, citizens, etc. critiques and criticizism make us better.
That is absolutely the best response I've ever seen given to the topic. I think it's great that you're open-minded enough to realize you're not infallible and are willing to discuss your performance with other people. I've always felt the same way in different jobs I've had from the military to my work in nuclear powerplants.

The only time I get pissed about the "taxpayer" comments is when some drunk bitch/asshole is going to jail and they are screaming about how they pay my paycheck. I just always tell them thank you and because of their generosity their trip to jail will be free.
I don't blame you there. I don't consider the taxpayer "the boss" in terms of the direct chain of command but I do see them in the terms of a shareholder or someone sitting on a board of directors. Outside the realm of direct confrontation with the police I don't consider the taxpayer comment to be pejorative. Factually speaking the police are paid for with tax dollars from taxpayers.

Thick skin is needed for the job. Plain and simple. Critique all you want just do it from the perspective that unless you do the job you may not know what you don't know.
Very true. When people question the actions of the police or their motivations it provides them a great opportunity to help educate citizens as to what's actually going on in a particular incident. Of course there are always going to be people, the "cop hater", who you'll never be able to rationalize with and neither party will be able to find a middle ground but I think that's the exception and not the rule.

Redmanfms
02-28-12, 12:19
News flash, you are not the boss of any police officer.

I know this may be a difficult concept for some to understand, maybe they need to have their personal shortcomings addressed or whatever, I do not care.

Cutting folks off and ignoring what they have to say when they are just repeating what they have heard is something that takes experience. As was stated, this job requires thick skin and veteran officers know when to just let people talk, while giving them the old in one ear/out the other treatment.

As many officers here, knowing the job means not having to deal with the typical ignorance of the general public. Believe it or not we took an oath to protect everyone from everything, not a suicide pact, not a front seat to your personal soapbox. Get over it.

Read: "Sit down peasant, I know what's best for you." Yeah, I guess we can see the kind of "problem solver" you are.

You should take notes from this guy:

Voodoo, 10101whatever, most of us on this site appreciate what law enforcement does for a living. When something untoward comes up, some people start talking loud and throwing elbows, that isn't acceptable. I've been guilty of it myself. However, the attitude SWAT and a few others have does a lot to diffuse those situations. They ignore (or correct if they're mods) the bullshit and answer the legitimate question, i.e., this is how it is supposed to be done, this why we do it that way.

LEOs answer to the citizenry, that IS why they are called "public servants." Sometimes the "public" (including the folks here on M4C), don't know WTF they are talking about and need to be set straight. Responding by telling us that you answer to nobody, or as 10101whatever has done, that we CANNOT ask questions or criticize until we've put on a uniform and answered calls is intellectually bankrupt, and quite frankly, cowardly.

Voodoo_Man
02-28-12, 12:27
Read: "Sit down peasant, I know what's best for you." Yeah, I guess we can see the kind of "problem solver" you are.

You should take notes from this guy:

Voodoo, 10101whatever, most of us on this site appreciate what law enforcement does for a living. When something untoward comes up, some people start talking loud and throwing elbows, that isn't acceptable. I've been guilty of it myself. However, the attitude SWAT and a few others have does a lot to diffuse those situations. They ignore (or correct if they're mods) the bullshit and answer the legitimate question, i.e., this is how it is supposed to be done, this why we do it that way.

LEOs answer to the citizenry, that IS why they are called "public servants." Sometimes the "public" (including the folks here on M4C), don't know WTF they are talking about and need to be set straight. Responding by telling us that you answer to nobody, or as 10101whatever has done, that we CANNOT ask questions or criticize until we've put on a uniform and answered calls is intellectually bankrupt, and quite frankly, cowardly.

There is no sarcasm font, so you may try to explain what parts you actually mean and what parts you are being sarcastic about.

Please point out, where I stated I "answer to nobody" ? By all means, show me.

Also try not to make assumptions about what was posted and take the post in the correct context.

If you disagree with I said, that is fine. The police work I do is not for many people here, hell most officers cannot and will not do it, no issues, fact of life.