PDA

View Full Version : BCM Gunfighter CH Failure

Apricotshot
02-27-12, 08:54
Just proof that anything can break.
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac333/fontanillshj/IMG_0588.jpg
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac333/fontanillshj/IMG_0589.jpg
These are IPhone pics. This is my friend's CH off of his 10.5 inch FA AR. It took us awhile to figure out what was wrong with the gun. The malfunction was failing to return to battery. So we looked in the chamber, the mag, ammo. Broke down the rifle and took out the bolt and CH. Inspected the bolt and carrier, nothing. After all that we finally took a close look at the CH handle and the catch had sheared off. The spring tension (Pic number 2) left in the CH lever was keeping the bolt for going into and staying in battery.

JSantoro
02-27-12, 09:35
Yep, anything breaks, but damned if that's not the first time I've seen or heard of one of those going pear-shaped.

$5 would get you $10 that the manufacturer would be keenly interested in seeing that. Give 'em a ping, let us know what happens.

fuse
02-27-12, 09:42
Is the implication that this is more likely due to it being on a full auto gun?

Ratfink
02-27-12, 09:42
contact bravo company

djmorris
02-27-12, 10:07
First time I've ever seen or heard of anything BCM just randomly breaking. I'd be willing to be that they will replace it in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

militarymoron
02-27-12, 10:35
After all that we finally took a close look at the CH handle and the catch had sheared off.
can you be more specific about which part failed on it? it looks like it was the roll pin from the pics.

Apricotshot
02-27-12, 10:43
can you be more specific about which part failed on it? it looks like it was the roll pin from the pics.

Half catch was sheared off and missing. Roll pin was uneffected.

Apricotshot
02-27-12, 10:45
Is the implication that this is more likely due to it being on a full auto gun?

No, just relating how the gun was being run at the time of the failure. Could have been done in semi as well I suppose.

Apricotshot
02-27-12, 10:47
Remember this is my friend's CH, not mine. I'll ask him what he's going to do with it.

I also need to ask him if this particular CH was one of the early pre production models that BCM was selling a few years ago. If I remember they were being sold as "Training Use Only".

polymorpheous
02-27-12, 10:52
The pre-production ones are marked at the bottom of the handle.

rob_s
02-27-12, 10:55

I was confused too. It only looks like a roll-pin failure in the second pic because the lack of a "tooth" (as seen in the first pic) allows the latch to move further forward.

This thread needs a comparison pic of a good one and it will become clear what's wrong in the first pic.

SomeOtherGuy
02-27-12, 10:55
I also need to ask him if this particular CH was one of the early pre production models that BCM was selling a few years ago. If I remember they were being sold as "Training Use Only".

That isn't one of the preproduction ones - they had the rollpin much closer to the edge, which is why they were sold cheaper "for training use only" (I have several).

I'll bet your friend has a replacement in under a week from when he contacts BCM.

J_Dub_503
02-27-12, 11:28
Well that's a first, I'm sure BCM's R&D team would like to get check it out.

pruitt0212
02-27-12, 14:44
Yikes. Hopefully they take good care of you.

GeorgiaBoy
02-27-12, 15:43
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7188/6790164486_35f480a50e_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/73307770@N04/6790164486/)

Normal charging handle for comparison.

ESK
02-27-12, 16:12
Does anyone, other then myself notice how the carrier key is hammering the inside of the charging handle. Me thinks I would check that issue first before you start changing charging handles on a daily basis.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1558/gfheg.png
ESK

BravoCompanyUSA
02-27-12, 16:35
Does anyone, other then myself notice how the carrier key is hammering the inside of the charging handle. Me thinks I would check that issue first before you start changing charging handles on a daily basis.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1558/gfheg.png
ESK

As Eric states that is exactly what is happening. We have seen it before.
Either way, will still cover it under warrenty. Email us for shipping addy info, and send it in for a new one.
:-)

Thank you for your support of BCM!!

Paul

Ghost__1
02-27-12, 16:44
Either way, will still cover it under warrenty. Email us for shipping addy info, and send it in for a new one.

Paul

What's the most likely cause of this? I'm aware that it could be an out of spec buffer, spring, RE, carrier, or key. I feel that the problem is probably the buffer but i've been wrong before.

Hmac
02-27-12, 16:47

Paul

I love it when a company lives up to their reputation for customer service.

johns961
02-27-12, 17:10
I have had to return a brand new BCG to Bravo Company once because I thought it was out of spec. They sent me new one right a way. No questions asked. Most impressive.

John!

steelonsteel
02-27-12, 17:41
First time I've ever heard of one of those breaking - I do think there is something to that carrier/ket mark.

As always, BCM stands to the fore and lives up to thier name - outstanding!

J_Dub_503
02-27-12, 18:04

Paul
What more could you ask for?,that is absolutely outstanding CS. I think I'll have to make an order just for the hell of it now. :happy:

nimdabew
02-27-12, 20:00
What's the most likely cause of this? I'm aware that it could be an out of spec buffer, spring, RE, carrier, or key. I feel that the problem is probably the buffer but i've been wrong before.

If I had to take a SWAG, the gun is over gassed to the point that it is sending the carrier and buffer back hard enough to compress the rear of the buffer and the carrier key is contacting the handle. Without shooting the gun, that is just a wild guess though.

Ghost__1
02-27-12, 20:11
If I had to take a SWAG, the gun is over gassed to the point that it is sending the carrier and buffer back hard enough to compress the rear of the buffer and the carrier key is contacting the handle. Without shooting the gun, that is just a wild guess though.

I see what you're saying. I think I agree with you. I wasn't thinking of that yet. Seems alot more likely.

Evil Colt 6920
02-27-12, 20:29
Crazy... I get online and this thread is at the top... I literally just got my BCM Gunfighter CH Mod4 in the mail from Grant today and installed it less than an hour ago. No worries here though. :cool:

Heavy Metal
02-27-12, 20:43

Likely the RE is not seated deep enough.

Ghost__1
02-27-12, 20:50
Likely the RE is not seated deep enough.

If it were this wouldn't the spring detent be unsecured? I do feel that he will most certainly have to have the issue resolved. I'm curious a to what the issue will be. Op please update when you figure it out.

militarymoron
02-27-12, 20:56
I was confused too. It only looks like a roll-pin failure in the second pic because the lack of a "tooth" (as seen in the first pic) allows the latch to move further forward.

gotcha - thanks. it's clear now (i was looking at it from work without an actual one to compare it to).

Apricotshot
02-27-12, 20:57
The ball is in his court on what he's going to do. I'll tell him it may be a issue with his gun. If I found out anything I'll post it.

Gardner
02-27-12, 21:10
Its my rifle. Things break. That handle has been on for a few years and many thousands of rounds FA suppressed. I have 10 or 11 Gunfighters never had a problem. Not sending it back.
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m611/37Bullet/DSC_9957.jpg

Gardner
02-27-12, 21:14
Not a big deal.

CoryCop25
02-27-12, 21:27
This is also the first time I have heard of a Gunfighter breaking. I am still not swayed in any other direction. The Gunfighter should be standard equipment on any AR.
Kudos to Paul for responding and letting the owner and the rest of the readers know how great the CS at BCM really is!

Kokopelli
02-27-12, 22:22
I just received another as well.. I have three now.. Ron

Iraqgunz
02-27-12, 23:12
I too am interested to know what is causing those marks. Is it an overgassing issue of epic proportions or is it some type of operator error?

Can you please elaborate for us the particulars of this weapon? Was it being fired suppressed?

HKUSP.40
02-27-12, 23:17
Was it being fired suppressed?

That handle has been on for a few years and many thousands of rounds FA suppressed.

I believe it was

nimdabew
02-27-12, 23:37
Is it an overgassing issue of epic proportions or is it some type of operator error?

Though highly unlikely, I guess the buffer detent could also be drilled too far back and that would be causing the carrier to hit the charging handle, though this problem would have appeared much earlier in it's life if the lower is a registered receiver.

steelonsteel
02-27-12, 23:56
even if it is a gun issue, look at it this way; it took thousands of rounds of full auto fire on a short barrel witha suppressor to break that.

I'm impressed.

I have the BCM gunfighter mod 5 in every AR I own - and will continue to do so!