PDA

View Full Version : Switching out a Daniel Defense handguard

PalmettoPrecision
02-27-12, 21:28
Just picked up my Daniel Defense m4 v7 LW today. I've been wanting the v5 but my distributor has had a hard time keeping them in stock long enough to get one. I hate trying to get a hold of firearms around the election time, so I needed to get a hold of one now.

I called daniel defense and they said they would trade the new modular float rail that came on the v7 for the omega 12 rail that comes on the v5. I just have to pay the difference of 70$

I have zero experience removing and installing free float handguards and was wondering if anyone has messed with the MFR by Daniel defense.

Should I be able to remove the MFR and install the omega 12 without sending them the whole rifle? Are the barrel nuts the same? I have very little AR tools... just allen keys and basic stuff.

Thanks in advance.

!Nvasi0n
02-27-12, 21:39
You probably better let them or a smith do it if you've never done it yourself....Brownells might have some web bench videos on how to DIY

globeguy
02-27-12, 22:23
Between V5 and V7 I would definitely keep the V7. That's just me though, I don't attach enough stuff to my quad rails to make it worth while.

What are you planning on attaching on your quad rail?

PalmettoPrecision
02-27-12, 22:58
Honestly, my reasoning for wanting the full rail probably isn't legitimate to most people.

First off, I want to mount hand stops and a foregrip in places that are limited by the holes in the MFR. I also want my hand in line with mounted objects like my light, instead of protruding from the rail pieces. Hand stops will be useless because of the protruding rails. I can recreate the "slick" rail with panels, and can have better control of mounted accessories.

Secondly, and about 30% of my reasoning, is I just think the MFR is ugly. I like the Troy TRX, it looks much better IMO.

Of course these are just opinionated and based off little knowledge of the AR platform. I know I should just run this gun and then decide later what I want, but for just 70$, I can have the rail that I wanted to start off with.

Makes sense to me..

TehLlama
02-28-12, 02:39
In order to remove a barrel nut, you're going to need more than $70 in tools I suspect (barrel block, vise, barrel nut wrench for the MFR, and for the Lite/OmegaX handguard at minimum, a vise if you don't have one, etc.).

As great as the TROY Extreme (TROY an VTAC flavors), I find myself preferring the DD Lite/OmegaX profile loaded down with LT Index Clips and Hand Stops, despite the added weight.

I'm a fan of the V5, I really like mine, and in your position that $70 isn't the worst price to move to a handguard that is more modular and has QD attach points if you need to justify that cost. If you really do dislike the MFR handguard, you'll find yourself replacing that upper anyway - I feel like it isn't the best advice, yet I would say it makes the most sense to go ahead and turn it into a V5, since it's cheaper than what you were considering anyway. At minimum, that's what I would do.

ASH556
02-28-12, 08:57
Just send them the upper and let their skilled armorers do the swap for you. Nothing to worry with, and they'll probably have it turned around in a week.

PalmettoPrecision
02-28-12, 11:36
Thanks for the advice guys, sending it to them now. Then going out to palmetto state armory to buy a lower and start another build while I'm waiting :smile:

Sam
02-28-12, 20:32
Hope you get your rail swapped out. Either way you can't go wrong, going from a DD to another tried and proven DD product.

I went almost the opposite. I had the original M4 RIS on my SPR inspired rifle. After a couple of years and with the new MFR coming out, I decided to switch. I didn't need all quad rails and a little lighter rail wouldn't hurt. On this gun the MFR is just want I need, free float, quality handguard, lightweight and made in Georgia.

Then:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/ultimate-case_004.jpg

Now:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCI1990.JPG

PalmettoPrecision
02-29-12, 13:12
Talked to DD yesterday, and worked out a pretty sweet deal. I am shipping the upper to them today, they are going to call me when it arrives. Then I am driving down to Georgia to pick it up next week. As a bonus, the scheduled me a tour of the entire facility :dance3:

If I am allowed to take some pics with the Iphone I will. I'm eager to see a cold hammer forging machine underway.

All in all, I'm pretty pumped.

globeguy
02-29-12, 15:34
Talked to DD yesterday, and worked out a pretty sweet deal. I am shipping the upper to them today, they are going to call me when it arrives. Then I am driving down to Georgia to pick it up next week. As a bonus, the scheduled me a tour of the entire facility :dance3:

Very nice!

Bonez556
03-04-12, 20:05
Man I am jealous!! That should be an awesome experience!!...... I actually just took the Omega X rail off my v5 yesterday and Im installing a RIS II rail tomorrow. If you have the correct tools it is a breeze. It took me maybe 15 minutes to get it all disassembled. I know the Omega X and the MFR rail use the same tool for disassembly but ive never removed/installed the MFR rail. But it sounds like DD is gonna take care of you. Im a HUGE DD fan so if you are able to take some pics you'll have to share them with us, along with your experience! :D

If I am allowed to take some pics with the Iphone I will. I'm eager to see a cold hammer forging machine underway.

All in all, I'm pretty pumped.

m4brian
03-04-12, 20:36
If I was going without an FSP, I'd want something more solid in lockup than the Omega X rail. I think the MFR is a bit better in that regard and of course the Lite rail is about the best in terms of lockup.

Icculus
03-12-12, 23:23
If I was going without an FSP, I'd want something more solid in lockup than the Omega X rail. I think the MFR is a bit better in that regard and of course the Lite rail is about the best in terms of lockup.

Can you comment a little bit on why you feel the MFR has a more secure mounting system than the Omega X? I don't have any experience with the MFR but I do have a v1 and it seems rock solid. I'm currently trying to decide between a new v5 or v7 upper and one of many factors in the decision is how secure the hand guard mounts. That's part of what keeps me away from the Troy tubes; for right or wrong they just don't seem bomb proof to me.

Of course in the v5 vs v7 debate, for me one of the biggest factors is the barrel. Unless I'm mistaken the v7 isn't offered with a LW barrel which I've become a big fan of.

OP enjoy your tour.

Edit: I stand corrected; they do make v7 LW.

brzusa.1911
03-12-12, 23:48
The Omega X is rock solid. Besides of the four screws it also has two anti rotation tabs (one on each side). I have the Omega X and RIS II. Recently I ordered another Omega X with FSP cut. You can't go wrong with DD rails. If something goes wrong (a lemon), not often thanks to their great quality control, they will make it right for you.