PDA

View Full Version : Will trigger pull get better with use?

DeviousMind
02-27-12, 22:10
I have a BCM complete lower, stock trigger. The trigger seems long and stiff. Is it that way because it is new? Will it get less stiff with use? I know I can replace it, but I actually like the crisp break on it, just wish the pull was a little shorter. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am a noob at shooting AR's in general.

nimdabew
02-27-12, 22:33
In short: yes.

J_Dub_503
02-27-12, 22:45
There is a break in period but you may be interested in a ALG Defense trigger. It's a affordable way to upgrade your battle trigger.

MistWolf
02-27-12, 22:57
Definitely maybe. It's the often repeated mantra that a trigger will eventually wear in (I've been guilty of stating so myself) but the sear surfaces are hardened. I've found over the years that it takes several thousand trigger pulls to see even a small improvement.

The pull of the AR trigger may lessen with use, but the creep will not. The best thing you can do with your stock AR trigger is use a heavy grease on all the sear surfaces, run it that way and see how you like it

polymorpheous
02-27-12, 22:58
Definitely maybe. It's the often repeated mantra that a trigger will eventually wear in (I've been guilty of starting so myself) but the sear surfaces are hardened. I've found over the years that it takes several thousand trigger pulls to see even a small improvement.

The pull of the AR trigger may lessen with use, but the creep will not. The best thing you can do with your stock AR trigger is use a heavy grease on all the sear surfaces, run it that way and see how you like it
Dry fire and grease.
I have to agree.

steelonsteel
02-28-12, 00:11
I've found that over, say, a thousand rounds, it will feel slightly smoother, but not worlds of differance, and the length fo pull usually never changes...

...but by then, you're used to the trigger because you've got lots of time behind it so... I've never really felt it was worth dicking with unless I just plain got a trigger that was god awful horribly atrocious out of the box, and then I'd change it ASAP.

lunchbox
02-28-12, 00:22
I polished mine up with some polishing paste, then installed a 1/4x28tpi 1/4 long set screw in the handle to take out creep. I have been very happy with the results.

djmorris
02-28-12, 09:06
As others have said, it will smooth out but not necessarily get shorter. In my experiences, it gets noticeably smoother between 600-1200 rounds. Perhaps even more so when you have many more rounds through it but I can't speak from experience on that.

pira114
02-28-12, 09:18
Don't worry about it. Most people that have been around guns, but not ARs, complain about certain things about the AR at first. ARs have their own "feel" to them. You'll get used to it. Get some time in with it and little things like the trigger will cease to be noticable.

RGoose
02-28-12, 09:30
Don't worry about it. Most people that have been around guns, but not ARs, complain about certain things about the AR at first. ARs have their own "feel" to them. You'll get used to it. Get some time in with it and little things like the trigger will cease to be noticable.
I've heard a lot of people say "after a couple thousand rounds, my trigger was vastly improved". I tend to think it more the shooter getting more proficient with the trigger after a thousand or more rounds than any significant improvement with the trigger. Either way the end result is the same, the shooter and rifle perform better than when they first started.