PDA

View Full Version : If this were your collection and you had to sell something

Bill Bryant
02-28-12, 09:26
If this were your collection and you had to sell something, which weapon would go first? Second? Third? Fourth? If you pared it all the way down, which three firearms would be the last to go? Why? BTW I'm not interested in selling anything. This is all hypothetical.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/ttkt57/IMG_5032.jpg

lethal dose
02-28-12, 10:43
Is that a walther p22? What make is the 1911?

Bill Bryant
02-28-12, 10:53
Is that a walther p22? What make is the 1911?Yes, a Walther zinc-o-matic. The 1911 is a Springfield loaded model. Nothing fancy, but shoots to POA, never jams, and has a really crisp 4.25 lb. trigger.

Heidevolk
02-28-12, 10:55
Probably sell the break action, lever action, 1911, ruger handgun and buy a decent used Glock 19 with a bunch of mags.

kwelz
02-28-12, 11:06
The only three that I would not sell no matter what would be the AR, the 1911 and the 10/22. But that is me. I tend to only really hold onto guns that I use.

Bill Bryant
02-28-12, 11:11
Probably sell the break action, lever action, 1911, ruger handgun and buy a decent used Glock 19 with a bunch of mags.Why? I want to know your thinking here.

chadbag
02-28-12, 11:13
I can't answer until I know what the end goal is first.

--

Bill Bryant
02-28-12, 11:14
I can't answer until I know what the end goal is first.

--This is all hypothetical. Start with any end goal you like, or with more than one, and go from there. The more explanation the better.

lethal dose
02-28-12, 11:19
Assuming you can't buy something else, I'd keep the AR, 1911, and the pump gun.

Moltke
02-28-12, 11:24
If this were your collection and you had to sell something, which weapon would go first? Second? Third? Fourth? If you pared it all the way down, which three firearms would be the last to go? Why? BTW I'm not interested in selling anything. This is all hypothetical.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/ttkt57/IMG_5032.jpg

Why did you ask this question if you're not planning on selling anything?

chadbag
02-28-12, 11:25
This is a useless question. With no defined goal we are trying to reach, it is just a bunch of mental masturbation. What one I think is useful is different than what you think is useful.

You may enjoy "cowboy" type guns and like the lever. Or you may be a hunter and like the single shot...

Having said that, I would sell them all except the 10/22 and then buy the guns I have already chosen for myself, my M&P 9mm handgun and my AR carbine [totally different configuration than the one shown]. The reason? Because those are the ones I have chosen for me.

OR

I would sell none of them. Each one was presumably bought with a reason or goal to its purchase, and without further information, we have to assume it is still fulfilling its goal or purpose.

--

Scoby
02-28-12, 11:27
If you're talking the end of the world kind of thing, I agree with lethal dose.

AR - primary defensive weapon, taking large game.

1911 - secondary defensive weapon

Shotgun - defensive weapon, small game, rabbits, birds, etc...
I'd want this shotgun to have a screw-in choke system.

Get rid of what's left in whatever order you can.

Bill Bryant
02-28-12, 11:31
Why did you ask this question if you're not planning on selling anything?Fair question. I'll answer after a few more people post.

Bill Bryant
02-28-12, 11:33
This is a useless question. With no defined goal we are trying to reach, it is just a bunch of mental masturbation. That was totally uncalled for.

maximus83
02-28-12, 11:35
The only three that I would not sell no matter what would be the AR, the 1911 and the 10/22. But that is me. I tend to only really hold onto guns that I use.

This is my approach as well, and the 3 I'd keep of those shown.

glockeyed
02-28-12, 11:36

ditto, those are 3 things every man should own.

sell the rest to get a 9mm Glock or M&P

chadbag
02-28-12, 11:49
That was totally uncalled for.

When is the truth ever uncalled for?

This is a dumb and useless question since you have given no parameters; no goals. So it is basically everyone making up their own parameters and goals and then replying, which gives no basis for comparison or judgement, or discussion.

--

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-28-12, 11:49
Well, if that were MY collection, and I HAD to sell something, I would sell:

1. Single Barreled Shotgun
2. Walther P22
3. Ruger LCP
4. .22LR Rifle
5. Pump Shotgun
6. Lever action
7. Bolt Action
8. AR
9. 1911
I think the most important thing for a man to own is a good quality fighting pistol. I dont know anythign about you or why you want to sell a gun, but I regret selling my own guns in the past. If I could just have that Winchester Model 70 Pre 64 back...

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-28-12, 11:53

I disagree. Youve been here long enough to know that Chad has a valid point. This site doesnt delve into the "what ifs".

CarlosDJackal
02-28-12, 11:53
First of all, it should all be based on your priorities. For example, do you like to hunt and are you planning on continuing to do so? If yes, then what type of hunting do you like to do? Without specifying the scope, none of the answers we give you will mean diddly.

But without that type of information, I would sell the following LAST based on my personal preferences (in order of priority): pump shotgun, BCM AR-15, and M1911 (although, personally I would trade the 1911 in for a Glock and that would be the last to go). I would retain the 1911 (or Glock) last because it has the most utility in terms of CCW and self-defense of any of them.

If it's the end of the world, I wouldn't bother selling any of them. What good is money when life as we know it comes to an end. I would just go out and shoot these guns as much as I can.

Bill Bryant
02-28-12, 12:23
I disagree. Youve been here long enough to know that Chad has a valid point. This site doesnt delve into the "what ifs".It wasn't Chad's opinion that was uncalled for.

Moltke
02-28-12, 12:27
Well if you have this collection of guns already... and you're asking us what we'd sell out of it without any guidelines... and after we tell you what we'd sell you're not going to do anything... then what's the point of asking? If you just want to foster discussion and talk to people, then you could have just asked how everyone's day is going. :)

SteyrAUG
02-28-12, 12:44
If it were me I'd dump everything but the AR and then that depends what kind of AR it is. I might keep the lever if it's a quality Winchester, but if it's a Marlin or something like that it would be on GB in a week.

Bill Bryant
02-28-12, 12:59
If it were me I'd dump everything but the AR and then that depends what kind of AR it is. I might keep the lever if it's a quality Winchester, but if it's a Marlin or something like that it would be on GB in a week.AR is almost totally BCM. Lever is Winchester 9422.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-28-12, 13:09
It wasn't Chad's opinion that was uncalled for.

Then thicken your skin good sir.

chadbag
02-28-12, 13:10
It wasn't Chad's opinion that was uncalled for.

Do you have a better term to describe it then?

---

Bill Bryant
02-28-12, 13:19
This thread now officially becomes fodder for my school's 8th grade formal logic class, where some of the "reasoning" will be ripped to shreds by kids who can't even spell, let alone enjoy, Mr. Chadbag's analogy.

Watrdawg
02-28-12, 13:23
Like others have said I'd keep the AR, the 1911 and the pump gun. The AR can be used for a multitude of purposes, HD all the way to hunting big game. The 1911 would be an in close defense weapon and the pump gun also for HD and hunting birds and other small game. All 3 calibers have very easy to find ammo and can be scrounged most anywhere. Everything else I would sell off

chadbag
02-28-12, 13:38
kids who can't even spell, let alone enjoy, Mr. Chadbag's analogy.

Unfortunately you'd probably be surprised.

(and I did not originate the term)

---

SteyrAUG
02-28-12, 16:25
AR is almost totally BCM. Lever is Winchester 9422.

I'd dump everything on Gunbroker. I wouldn't keep any of them.

Iraqgunz
02-29-12, 05:30
If this is all hypothetical why are we wasting time and space on this whole thing?

Especially if there is no real reason or goal in sight?

Scoby
02-29-12, 06:45
So Mr. Bryant.......You've gotten some opinions. Are you going to enlighten us as to why you've asked this question?

Or, are you going to continue to let this run on off in the ditch?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-29-12, 09:37
This is all hypothetical. Start with any end goal you like, or with more than one, and go from there. The more explanation the better.

Why? I want to know your thinking here.

Yes, a Walther zinc-o-matic. The 1911 is a Springfield loaded model. Nothing fancy, but shoots to POA, never jams, and has a really crisp 4.25 lb. trigger.

Fair question. I'll answer after a few more people post.

Seriously?

mhanna91
02-29-12, 16:00
I love lamp!

Seriously though, Id sell everything but the AR. I'd get rid of the 1911 and buy a Glock 19 or and M&P9 FS. Use the rest of the money to buy ammo.

rojocorsa
02-29-12, 20:41
This thread now officially becomes fodder for my school's 8th grade formal logic class, where some of the "reasoning" will be ripped to shreds by kids who can't even spell, let alone enjoy, Mr. Chadbag's analogy.

Wait, what? If this was the purpose all along, it seems a bit random, especially the way the question was raised. I've also heard worse terms for "mental masturbation", believe it or not.

That being said, I am going to go about this from a practical standpoint:

I'd keep the .45, the AR, and the .22 rifle. In the past I would have said to keep the shotgun, but I now realize it would be redundant as the carbine would already fulfill the same role.

Moltke
02-29-12, 20:52
Lighten up bill its just a term. The point is we want to know the point.

TehLlama
02-29-12, 21:35
Without a direction, this is going to devolve into a mental scatter drill - going different directions without a coherent message.

Of the pistols, the 1911 probably makes the most sense to keep, unless you want to shoot a lot of volume through pistols, in which case you might actually be ahead selling them all and getting something in 9mm.

I'd keep the 10/22, simply because you'll wind up with another later in life probably, and it's something you can use consistently. If nothing else, the argument would be after you've parted with other guns, one may want to actually shoot the remaining ones to justify that original decision.

Among the long guns, the shotgun, lever and bolt would go first - simply because you can resell them the easiest, and would be the most replaceable. AR would go last...

Jellybean
02-29-12, 23:09
Well, dammit now look what you dun- got me brain all riled up so now I HAVE to post....

If it was all I could do, I'd keep the AR, .22, and 1911.

However, if I had my choice- .
I would sell everything.
Then I would immediately use some of the new money to replace the pistols- I love 1911s, but I'd replace it with something I can shoot more and has a higher capacity, in flavors of 1 fullsize and 1 compact.
Second, replace the AR with a configuration I like better.
Third, buy a second AR. :D
Fourth, buy a shotgun in a configuration I like better.
Fifth, If any money left over, put it towards a precision bolt gun in a flavor I like better.

Of course this is also assuming I have more money to put into ammo, mags, and some spare parts. If not....
I could keep going all night here.:p