PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPQ reliability,durability,accuracy

Biggy
02-28-12, 12:06
I believe this pistol was introduced at SHOT 2011. I am interested in feedback from PPQ (owners) only, on how your pistol is doing so far in these three areas (only). I am not interested in the price of the mags, bore axis, spare parts, the mag release , etc. These pistols really seem to have taken off lately and are selling great, with the standard version priced from $486 and up.

skyugo
02-28-12, 12:25
I've heard nothing but good about that pistol... Guess the trigger is similar to a glock but lighter and quicker to reset.

I actually was thinking of buying one, but it's quite a bit bigger than a G19.... so once again, my old G19 wins over something cool and sexy. :o

cslone
02-28-12, 12:35
I've had mine(9mm) roughly 3 months and ~2.5K rounds. I work for a SWAT team and we shoot quite a bit, plus I shoot competitions on Tuesday nights, so it gets a fair amount of hard use. I have cleaned it twice.

-I occasionally have had feed issues with the Baby Eagle mags and I had to adjust my strong thumb just a hair to get it off the slide release. With the non-Walther mags, once I moved them to range duty, I have not had a problem with them. I think it has to do with slamming the mag in to seat it, because that's the only time I had issues(double feeds). Those are the only two problems I've had. With the PPQ marked mags, I have not had any issues.
-Accuracy is loads better than my Glocks and slightly better than my SA 1911 Loaded(for me). The gun is more comfortable and it points much better for me. I run a grip force adapter on my Glocks and I run the large backstrap on the PPQ.

So, IMO;
Reliability has been 100% with PPQ marked mags. It has been 100% with non-Walther mags, as long as they are just range mags. I've learned my lesson on saving a few bucks.

Durability: I've only had it a few months, so I can't say. I bang it around in a drop leg all day and it still looks good and nothing has broken.

Accuracy: Best shooting pistol I own. I am very impressed with the accuracy. I am a 100% shooter typically on qualifications anyway, but my groups are much tighter with the PPQ than my Glocks I previously carried.

Overall I am very impressed and recommend it quite a bit.

gtmtnbiker98
02-28-12, 13:35
I own two, primary/backup setup. I bought my first on 12/23/11 and have since put 4112 rounds through my primary PPQ. To date, no issues and no signs of premature wear. The only trait that you should be aware of is that they tend to loosen up between the slide and frame fit areas and are looser towards the muzzle. This slide/frame play has not influenced accuracy nor reliability. Again, I am a user and this is my primary game (IDPA/USPSA) gun for 2012.

balance
02-28-12, 16:02
Reliability is flawless so far. I've put over 1500 rounds through mine and all have functioned flawlessly.

Durability is not something I am worried about. The design is so similar to the P99, that I wouldn't expect a difference in durability between the PPQ and P99. Every report of a high round count P99 I have heard of has been mostly positive with very few parts breakages or malfunctions. I have over 6k rounds through my 1st gen P99 without an issue of durability.

Accuracy is good in my hands. As far as mechanical accuracy, again, the PPQ and P99 are at about the same level accuracy wise, and the Guns & Ammo review of the PPQ had a 115gr. load making a 1.5" group at 25 yards. There are very few polymer defensive pistols out that can match the mechanical accuracy of the PPQ or P99.

HKGuns
02-28-12, 20:06
I only have 200 or so rounds through mine so far and it has been flawless in what is an admittedly low round count.

I have two major gripes about the pistol, the plastic guide rod and sights. I've replaced the factory guide rod on mine with a BT all steel guide rod that fits and functions perfectly. I'm not likely going to change the sights. The one minor gripe I have is the HK style magazine release is too thin to reach comfortably. I prefer the HK paddle style magazine releases that are far easier to reach.

All of the other pistols I own have all steel components, so if you're used to one of the other brands, that are similarly constructed, the plastic components likely won't be a big deal to you. I've heard of only one failure of the plastic guide rod so it likely isn't something you need to change. I just feel better having it steel. YMMV

It is an accurate pistol and shoots very well.

crazymoose
02-28-12, 20:14
Reliability and accuracy are good, for my example, and virtually all the other feedback I've heard. The word on durability will take a while. I don't think there are a ton of guys with 40-50k through their PPQ's yet.

I'd heard that the striker and trigger assembly were the things that would go on the P99 at higher round counts. No idea if this will hold true with the PPQ as well, since the fire control parts are quite a bit different.

ralph
02-28-12, 20:44
Over 2000rnds through mine..So far no problems. I have 2 of the Baby eagle mags,I've had no problems with them functioning,However, one does stick a little when dropped at any angle other than straight down, I also use these as range mags, so,I'm not worried about it. I have 6 factory mags, and they don't exhibit this problem. Accuracy has been excellant out of the box, and still is. I've used a variety of bullet weights, JHP's, RN's, some hard cast lead RN's, all with no problems. I recently stippled the pistol and that alone greatly improved the grip..as it is stock, I feel it's a bit slippery, Stippling cured that. I've noticed no unusal wear on anything, At this point I feel it's GTG. I have no complaints. For someone who may want to switch platforms, or for someone who is considering their first handgun purchase, The PPQ does deserve some serious consideration. I feel it's a easy pistol to shoot well.

Littlelebowski
02-28-12, 21:15
I only have 200 or so rounds through mine so far and it has been flawless in what is an admittedly low round count.

I have two major gripes about the pistol, the plastic guide rod and sights. I've replaced the factory guide rod on mine with a BT all steel guide rod that fits and functions perfectly. I'm not likely going to change the sights. The one minor gripe I have is the HK style magazine release is too thin to reach comfortably. I prefer the HK paddle style magazine releases that are far easier to reach.

All of the other pistols I own have all steel components, so if you're used to one of the other brands, that are similarly constructed, the plastic components likely won't be a big deal to you. I've heard of only one failure of the plastic guide rod so it likely isn't something you need to change. I just feel better having it steel. YMMV

It is an accurate pistol and shoots very well.

You know that Glocks do pretty well with plastic guide rods, right?

balance
02-28-12, 21:59
I'd heard that the striker and trigger assembly were the things that would go on the P99 at higher round counts. No idea if this will hold true with the PPQ as well, since the fire control parts are quite a bit different.

PPQ on the left - P99 on the right

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/balance740/100_0786.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/balance740/100_0785.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/balance740/100_0784.jpg

The FCG ("sear housing" according to Walther) between the P99 and the PPQ are practically identical. I've never heard of anyone having any issues with a striker and the only part of the FCG I've heard of people having to replace, very rarely, is the trigger return spring (which is thicker and heavier on the PPQ).

Snake Plissken
02-28-12, 22:00
I like many people would be interested in purchasing one of these if magazines were not $45. If a bundle of magazines is as much of the gun I have little to no interest. Now if only Mecgar could sell these mags for under $25 I'd be interested.

og556
02-28-12, 22:21
What is that pink looking stuff in the P99 ?

balance
02-28-12, 22:35
What is that pink looking stuff in the P99 ?

I probably should have cleaned that off first. :D

It's what I use for lube.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n524/balance740/100_0821.jpg

I get it for free and it seems to work great.

HKGuns
02-28-12, 22:52
You know that Glocks do pretty well with plastic guide rods, right?

Yep. Which is why I wrote it the way I did.....I don't own them. My HK's and other pistols all have steel.......I'm sure it won't be a huge issue with the PPQ, mine certainly is a keeper.

Edited to add: There are all sorts of upgrades available for them as well, so folks may be replacing them for all I know.

caddishatch
02-28-12, 23:41
I love this gun. I have almost put 1000rds through mine and no issues. I have shot al sorts of ammo including reloads and it just eats them up. It is a very accurate gun that I shoot very well. This gun is amazing and I love it more every time I shoot it. Durability, we will have to see over time.

Sensei
02-29-12, 02:26
Just bought mine last weekend and put 150 rounds of 124 grain Federal AE. No failures as of yet. The trigger is excellent in terms of weight, break and return. Accuracy is excellent as I was keep all of my rounds inside of the zero circle on an IDPA target out to 20 yards. I'm taking it out in a couple of days to do FAST drills to see how this trigger affects my times compared to the Glock with - connector. It will be a couple of months until I get to the 2K round mark, but so far I'm impressed.

sniperfrog
02-29-12, 12:18
There's at least one: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/16588-walther-ppq-9x19-video.html

Holy shit balls, if I read that correctly that dude from the Walther shooting team had 240,000 rounds through a P99 and only broke a trigger return spring at the 130,000 round mark.

He could be full of shit but if not that is pretty amazing.

balance
02-29-12, 15:37
I doubt he is lying. He is the Team Captain of Walther's German shooting team, and the first video on that thread where he is shooting the PPQ, is on the PPQ section of the Walther Germany website.

If this was the first time I read of a high round count P99 or PPQ, I'd be skeptical as well, but there have been some reports of these pistols getting up to those numbers and the ones I read all seemed to be positive.

There was on thread on THR a little while back where an armorer for 99-series pistols posted about his experience with some .40cal SW99 pistols that went to some pretty high numbers. I did a search and found the thread, but unfortunately it has been archived and is a little hard to read. It is the 60th post made by "fastbolt" on September 15, 2011, 09:21 PM:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-613150.html

Keep in mind that those were .40cal SW99s he was talking about. I'd assume the 9mm models would last much longer.

Magic_Salad0892
02-29-12, 15:50
I hope this pistol does gain in popularity. It'd be cool to see it win some LEO contracts.

trio
02-29-12, 21:52
Well shucks.....I just got my first edition PPQ in today, got it home, and the right rear night sight is dead

I know it is an easy fix, and truthfully I was already considering installing the original sight and blacking out the dots

But still, not the best start

MAUSER202
02-29-12, 21:54
I have about 800rds through mine, reliability has been perfect. I am able to shoot this pistol more accurately than any other I have ever shot.

Shift_Zombie
02-29-12, 22:35
A few quick things before I begin;

The G19 and PPQ are nearly identical in size. It's like 1mm difference in all dimensions.

The PPQ is indeed classified as a single action pistol.

PPQ FE owners got the shaft. S&W installed the night sights, and did a terrible, absolutely miserable, job at doing it. Busted tubes, scrapes, scratches, some looked like someone hit them with a hammer to install them. Rediculous. FE's are not representative of PPQ's straight from Germany, untouched by the smiths at S&W.

~2000 rounds and perfection. I had a couple FTFs the first trip. I got home, cleaned all the factory lube off the mags, and it never happened again. IMO the PPQ works better without lube of any kind on the mags. The gun is extremely accurate and it fits your hand like it was custom molded. It's a beautiful gun. It's a bit snappier then my G19, but the ergonomics make up for it. I have two 15 round mags and three 15+2 rounders, all from Walther. They run perfectly. I was tagging a man sized target at 100 yards the other day. I would reccomend this gun to anyone. And I trust it with my life. I just wish they already had a sub-compact version. :D

Fringe
03-01-12, 07:37
Damn,

This is what I have heard about the FE models and this what I am fearing when I take mine home today. I was hoping theses later models had the problem fixed, but it does not sound like it.

Slide damage in the site Channel and dead H3?

Now I am starting to wish I ordered the standard model instead. I know Walther will make it right, but I fear it's going to take forever.

ralph
03-01-12, 07:59
The last time I was at G&R Tactical (Grant's shop is about 15-20 minutes from me) I asked why this was happening, He told me it was because the rear sight needs a little fitting (filing to fit) and they (S&W) pretty much refuse to take the time do it, they just press'em in and you get what you get..

montanadave
03-01-12, 08:06
I originally ordered a standard PPQ from Grant but when he got in another shipment of the First Editions I couldn't resist ... and it showed up with a dead tube in the rear sight. :sad:

Sounds like I'm not the only one. Hopefully, with this frequency of failures they're going to set this straight. With a pistol garnering such positive reviews from shooters across the board, this is not the kind of negative press they want floating around out there.

On the plus side, S&W customer service had a return shipping label to me in less than 48 hours and off it went yesterday. Hopefully, they will resolve the situation promptly and I'll have my gun back. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

globeguy
03-01-12, 08:38
Has anyone who is familiar with M&P9 or G19 done any timed drills with this gun? Are you faster or slower with it than a M&P9 or G19?

I find that my speed is dictated more by how the gun recoils vs its trigger. I'm sure PPQ is pure joy to shoot with its sweet trigger, but I do not want to sacrifice speed for that enjoyment.

Biggy
03-01-12, 11:08
Has anyone who is familiar with M&P9 or G19 done any timed drills with this gun? Are you faster or slower with it than a M&P9 or G19?

I find that my speed is dictated more by how the gun recoils vs its trigger. I'm sure PPQ is pure joy to shoot with its sweet trigger, but I do not want to sacrifice speed for that enjoyment.

Here is one guys review of the Walther PPQ. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_QhiTa-7OA Check out the vid at the 7:00 minute mark where he shoots it for speed. He is not a pro but seems to shoot it pretty fast and gets hits with it while doing it, which is the important thing. In this thread I am just interested in feedback from PPQ owners about the reliability, durability, and accuracy of their pistols so far.

Shift_Zombie
03-01-12, 11:15
After I got the PPQ, a snappier gun then the G19 IMO, I had to change my grip technique. I use a crush grip now and it works very well. In fact, accuracy with all firearms increased after I did this. It just takes a little training and you'll never notice the difference.

mrosamilia
03-01-12, 18:24
Well shucks.....I just got my first edition PPQ in today, got it home, and the right rear night sight is dead

I know it is an easy fix, and truthfully I was already considering installing the original sight and blacking out the dots

But still, not the best start

Mine came Tuesday with the left rear sight dead!!!! Walther is sending me another one, and special deal to replacing it??

C4IGrant
03-01-12, 18:34
I originally ordered a standard PPQ from Grant but when he got in another shipment of the First Editions I couldn't resist ... and it showed up with a dead tube in the rear sight. :sad:

Sounds like I'm not the only one. Hopefully, with this frequency of failures they're going to set this straight. With a pistol garnering such positive reviews from shooters across the board, this is not the kind of negative press they want floating around out there.

On the plus side, S&W customer service had a return shipping label to me in less than 48 hours and off it went yesterday. Hopefully, they will resolve the situation promptly and I'll have my gun back. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Sorry to hear that on the vials. Generally, the vials are either from Trijicon or Mepro so they are actually at fault on them (not S&W or Walther).

With that said, S&W should add "Tritium check" to their QC inspections.

C4

mig1nc
03-01-12, 18:54
Sorry to hear that on the vials. Generally, the vials are either from Trijicon or Mepro so they are actually at fault on them (not S&W or Walther).

With that said, S&W should add "Tritium check" to their QC inspections.

C4

The folks in the know over on Walther Forums say they are from Betalight in Holland. The factory Walther sights are almost definately not from Trijicon or Mepro.

By the way, Grant, I am digging the PPQ FE I got from you. All my dots glow. Sights were slightly out of alignment (a common problem with the sights installed by the jackwagons at S&W), but it was fixed easily. I can live with the little ding where they installed it.

I'm going to do a Youtube video this weekend or next comparing it to my P99.

C4IGrant
03-01-12, 18:58
The folks in the know over on Walther Forums say they are from Betalight in Holland. The factory Walther sights are almost definately not from Trijicon or Mepro.

I think we are talking about two different things. All sorts of company's make sights and then send them to Trijicon or Mepro for vial insertion.

Glad you like the gun!

C4

mrosamilia
03-01-12, 20:24
Grant,

Will it be very difficult to install the new sight being shipped to me myself??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

C4IGrant
03-01-12, 20:29
Grant,

Will it be very difficult to install the new sight being shipped to me myself??

Do you have any experience with fitting sights?

C4

trio
03-01-12, 20:31
I also got a PPQ with a dead tritium vial....I am calling smith tomorrow...in the meantime I had the normal rear sight installed

balance
03-01-12, 20:32
TriLux

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/19111-factory-ppq-pps-night-sights.html

And it has been stated that the factory night sights should be slid on from right to left. S&W apparently slid them on in the wrong direction and didn't use the correct method or sight tool, which is what damaged the slides.

Here is the thread on the FE rear sight issue:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/19058-ppq-first-edition-night-sight-sloppy-installation.html

Buckriser
03-01-12, 20:32
I love my PPQ. I have it in 9mm it shoots great and the trigger is sweet. I have since adjusted my sights, and now I'm blowing out the bullseye. Great gun!

mrosamilia
03-01-12, 20:52
Do you have any experience with fitting sights?

C4

No local smith said $20.00. Is it much more diverse than say a Glock or HK??

C4IGrant
03-01-12, 20:59
No local smith said $20.00. Is it much more diverse than say a Glock or HK??

That price is fine. They go in somewhat like regular sights do.

C4

KiloXray
03-01-12, 21:20
All 3 of the lamps on my FE (from G&R) are good. I have not had it to the range yet to see if they are lined up well. Ill be out there tomorrow. I can tell you that the "test" target included with my normal PPQ is MUCH better than the one included with my FE. Ill know very soon.

maximus83
03-02-12, 00:09
I'm considering getting a PPQ9 as a trial and running it against my M&P's.

Has anyone scoped out what it's like getting basic parts for these, like springs, pins, fire control parts, etc? Mags run $46 for 15rd, $56 for 17rd. And I noticed Trijicon makes sights for them. Anyone else?

coynedogg
03-02-12, 00:11
I'm considering getting a PPQ9 as a trial and running it against my M&P's.

Has anyone scoped out what it's like getting basic parts for these, like springs, pins, fire control parts, etc? Mags run $46 for 15rd, $56 for 17rd. And I noticed Trijicon makes sights for them. Anyone else?

Magazine costs are probably the biggest turn off about that pistol. Hopefully some manufacturers will come out with cheaper ones 'good as factory mags' soon.

ralph
03-02-12, 09:55
Magazine costs are probably the biggest turn off about that pistol. Hopefully some manufacturers will come out with cheaper ones 'good as factory mags' soon.

Granted it's a pain in the ass, But, I would'nt let that stop me from buying what is probably one of the best pistols on the market today.. I mean, people buy HK45's for example, everyday..The mags for them are over $50, and in spite of that, they sell rather well..

Shift_Zombie
03-02-12, 10:42
You can use MR baby eagle mags for them as well. They're identical, basically. They function well, and they're ~20-30 bucks. Something else to consider, if you buy factory mags and want to sell the pistol later on, the mags always keep the price of your sale up and the desirability high. People like factory mags, as long as they work well. And Walthers do.

ralph
03-02-12, 11:02
You can use MR baby eagle mags for them as well. They're identical, basically. They function well, and they're ~20-30 bucks. Something else to consider, if you buy factory mags and want to sell the pistol later on, the mags always keep the price of your sale up and the desirability high. People like factory mags, as long as they work well. And Walthers do.

I've got 2 of the MR mags...They function fine, However, one of them does stick in the pistol if released from any position other than straight down, they're good range mags, At one time, I thought they were "as good as factory" But, I'm admittly wrong. I'd never use them as carry mags. At $32 apeice from midway, plus shipping and handling, and the fact you might get one that's not quite right like I did, I don't think they're that much of a bargin. Buy them with the idea of using them as range mags only....

ETA..I think we're getting off track here, The OP was wanting to know about accuracy, reliabilty, and durabilty, of the PPQ, and NOT the price of mags..

maximus83
03-02-12, 11:32

I understand what you're saying, that these MR mags might "work" in some sense. But I make a policy for any pistol carried for self-defense, I am ONLY going to use the factory mags specifically designed for them. I've been burned too many times by aftermarket mags. I guess the only exception to that is when I USED to carry 1911's, but that's because often the best 1911 mags are made by somebody OTHER than the company that made your pistol.

A few extra $$ for a quality mag doesn't bother me in the least.

KiloXray
03-02-12, 13:10
Ran 205 rnds through the brand new FE PPQ today. I used various ammo: Privi 115gr, Fed bulk pack 115gr, 100 rnds of Speer GDHPs 124gr.

I had zero malfunctions, and am pleased to say that my factory night sights are spot on.

My only complaint, if its really even a complaint, is that the thread protector would no stay tight. I may try to throw an o-ring between the protector and the shoulder on the barrel.

Biggy
03-02-12, 22:43
Ran 205 rnds through the brand new FE PPQ today. I used various ammo: Privi 115gr, Fed bulk pack 115gr, 100 rnds of Speer GDHPs 124gr.

I had zero malfunctions, and am pleased to say that my factory night sights are spot on.

My only complaint, if its really even a complaint, is that the thread protector would no stay tight. I may try to throw an o-ring between the protector and the shoulder on the barrel.

Teflon tape will also keep the TP tight. IMHO Walther should have stuck with the 13.5x1mm LH threads for the FE barrels and also installed sights that could be used with a suppressor.

Aries144
03-03-12, 00:08
I just spent the last hour with MR and Walther mags apart to compare them. I found the followers for the MR mags still had some flash on the edges, which I trimmed off with a razor.

I found the springs move more smoothly and quietly in the Walther mags as opposed to the MR. The finish contour of the steel insides of the MR mags feel just as smooth to the touch as the Walther mags, as do the followers (after trimming).

The only difference I can find so far is that the Walther mags have a teflon-like coating that reminds me of teflon coated AR mags. This may be responsible for the smoother feel of the Walther mags. It seems to have something to do with the mag springs, not the followers, and the way they interact with the inside of the magazine when compressed and decompressed.

I don't have a gauge, but the mag springs look identical and feel identical as far as resistance is concerned.

Removing the Walther mag's spring and follower and running it in the MR mag body showed no difference in smoothness of function or anything else; More resistance and spring noise was noted with the MR mag bodies, regardless of which spring and follower were used.

This indicates to me that any significant difference in function is because of the MR mag body and follower (only because of the still-present flash around some edges) and not the magazine spring.

mig1nc
03-03-12, 06:35
I've got 2 of the MR mags...They function fine, However, one of them does stick in the pistol if released from any position other than straight down, they're good range mags, At one time, I thought they were "as good as factory" But, I'm admittly wrong. I'd never use them as carry mags. At $32 apeice from midway, plus shipping and handling, and the fact you might get one that's not quite right like I did, I don't think they're that much of a bargin. Buy them with the idea of using them as range mags only....

ETA..I think we're getting off track here, The OP was wanting to know about accuracy, reliabilty, and durabilty, of the PPQ, and NOT the price of mags..

I got 5 Magnum Research mags to go with my PPQFE. One of them is just as Ralph describes, it doesn't eject smothly and only falls all the way out if the grip is parrallel with gravity.

My MR mags will be used for range and match duty (the one that sticks will be marked and not used for matches). I'll only use Walther branded mags for carry.

Shift_Zombie
03-03-12, 10:27
If you watch Nutnfancy's PPQ review, he uses MR mags, and when he slapped the mag in, a round would fly out. Very odd.

drsal
03-03-12, 11:37
I have had the PPQ for about 3 months, maybe up to the 500 rd count by now, so far no issues with the gun,nothing. I picked up a holster made for a G19 that fits it well. So far so good, no complaints.

ralph
03-03-12, 13:06
If you watch Nutnfancy's PPQ review, he uses MR mags, and when he slapped the mag in, a round would fly out. Very odd.

If he'd slap a mag in any harder, he'd knock the pistol out of his hand...I never understood that...

Shift_Zombie
03-03-12, 16:35
My Galco G19 holster does not fit my PPQ. :( I bought a desantis speed scabbard and don't care for it. The belt loops are too low so the top likes to pull over, it doesn't ride very close to the body, has awful cant choices, and it crushes easily. Really, the only thing I like about it that it fits my PPQ. I'm building my own kydex creation station so that I can make all the holsters I want. :D

Biggy
03-03-12, 23:50
Does anyone have any pics of targets you have shot with your PPQ ? Are you happy with its accuracy with both cheap blasting and quality HP ammo ?

Shift_Zombie
03-04-12, 03:23
Yeah, here's 50 rounds of S&B. Enjoy. Shooting done at 10 yards, no rest. I've gotten better since then. Fast shooting, being a couple rounds a second.

HKGuns
03-04-12, 08:39

Why would anyone do that? So this youtube guy is now the firearms expert on which all judgements are based? :suicide2: Please tell me you don't actually watch that garbage and make decisions based on some guy making videos on the internet.

Edited to add: Here is a 10 yard target from my first session with the pistol. A lot of lead went through the holes already in the target. I wasn't particularly shooting for accuracy here, just getting the feel of the pistol. This was with the 9mm Nato ammo you now see quite frequently.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v42/p1018823082-5.jpg

KiloXray
03-04-12, 09:05
Does anyone have any pics of targets you have shot with your PPQ ? Are you happy with its accuracy with both cheap blasting and quality HP ammo ?

Yes, and yes.

Very first 30 rounds at 30 feet with my regular PPQ.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac339/KiloXray/Iphone001.jpg

Shift_Zombie
03-04-12, 12:39
@HKGuns
He reviewed the handgun. In this review, he experienced rounds flying out of the mags after seating them. This experience is valuable. If it could happen to him, it might happen to you. It is a transference of information. That is all. The receiver of this information takes sole responsibility for what they do with it. And, by your logic, people shouldn't go onto to forums and share their experiences either, because someone might make a judgement based on them. :O

Biggy
03-05-12, 13:00
IMHO the best mags to use are the OE PPQ mags that came with your PPQ. G&R Tactical carry them and so does this place
https://www.slimstacticalguns.com/Walther-Mag-9MM-15Rd-Anti-Friction-Coating-PPQ-WAF76001_p_26219.html
If your life depends on your pistol or rifle working, use the best/ most reliable mags possible.

HKGuns
03-05-12, 18:05
In this review, he experienced rounds flying out of the mags after seating them.

When he films that with factory mags I might get concerned. I agree with Biggy on magazine selection. People who fret over $40 magazines aren't shooting enough or they'd be more worried about the cost of the ammo they're using.

montanadave
03-27-12, 17:35

Just an update. I shipped my PPQ to S&W on 2/29/12 and received an email last evening indicating it would be returned on 3/28/12. Four week turnaround.

Not as speedy as Ed Brown, but not too bad.

Shift_Zombie
03-27-12, 22:29
Maybe they'll send a few mags along as a bonus. :D

sarge1967
03-28-12, 04:28
My 9mm PPQ has about 2500 or so rounds through it. No issues whatsoever. I have a couple of the Walther 17 round mags for it as well and they have functioned flawlessly.

My .40 PPQ has not had as many rounds through it. (Newer gun) My copy seems a tad bit more accurate than the 9mm and the trigger is a bit smoother.

So far both pistols are doing great! Highly recommend these firearms.

montanadave
03-28-12, 18:49
Maybe they'll send a few mags along as a bonus. :D

Alas, twas not to be. No mags. No candy. Nada.

But at least they fixed the sights.

Hogsgunwild
03-28-12, 21:47
My 9mm PPQ has about 2500 or so rounds through it. No issues whatsoever. I have a couple of the Walther 17 round mags for it as well and they have functioned flawlessly.

My .40 PPQ has not had as many rounds through it. (Newer gun) My copy seems a tad bit more accurate than the 9mm and the trigger is a bit smoother.

So far both pistols are doing great! Highly recommend these firearms.

Thanks Sarge, I appreciate the feedback. Could you expand / compare the PPQ in .40 S&W to anything as far as the recoil goes?
For instance, I have a STI .40 VIP (for a toy) and it is very accurate but takes a long time to come back on target (compared to most polymer guns anyhow). My .40 H&K USP compact is the same relative to my P2000.

I ask only because of the reported snappiness / high bore axis reports on the 9MM PPQ.

Biggy
03-28-12, 22:44
To get an idea of the recoil characteristics of the PPQ check out this vid at the 7 minute mark. He is using a 9mm in the video, so of course the .40 cal is going to have a little more muzzle flip and recoil. As you can see the reviewer had no trouble handling any of the PPQ's muzzle flip or recoil, or do I . YMMV. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_QhiTa-7OA

sarge1967
03-29-12, 00:12
Thanks Sarge, I appreciate the feedback. Could you expand / compare the PPQ in .40 S&W to anything as far as the recoil goes?
For instance, I have a STI .40 VIP (for a toy) and it is very accurate but takes a long time to come back on target (compared to most polymer guns anyhow). My .40 H&K USP compact is the same relative to my P2000.

I ask only because of the reported snappiness / high bore axis reports on the 9MM PPQ.

I would say that the recoil is comparable to the H&K P30 line of pistols. The two are very similar in their ergos. Though I am not the best person to ask about recoil. I honestly see very little difference in 9mm and .40 S&W. I had a Glock 23 and I find no difference at all in the recoil between it and the PPQ.

Hogsgunwild
03-29-12, 10:03
Thanks Sarge and Biggy, that is good to know. My Glock 23 (s) never bothered me either except possibly every once in awhile during an extended session.